The Outdoors Place  
THE PLACE Chat Room

Go Back   The Outdoors Place > Hunting > Killin' and Grillin' Wild Game and Fish
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2017, 10:22 AM
THE PLACE Member

Question Paymaster.........

Baby back ribs.....ginna have a cookout next weekend..

Got any suggestions? Tips? Hints?

I have an old chargrill smoker with a smoke box..........also I love to use pecan wood.

Last edited by bouncy : 05-20-2017 at 10:43 AM.
Old 05-21-2017, 06:34 AM
Fly Tyin Lurker

Pecan is good. I like to remove the membrane and slather with yellow mustard and rub with my favorite rub. I have no idea what is in the rub as the person that makes it for me won't tell. I like dry rub style and my wife likes hers sauced and fall off the bone. I like a little more tug. But for mine, I cook at 250* for 2 hours in the smoke and spray with a 4/1 ratio of apple juice and cider vinegar every 30 minutes. on an offset smoker, i reverse the direction the ribs lay in the smoker after 1 hour. The I wrap the ribs in foil with apple juice inside and put back in, for about another hour. Check to see if they are at your preferred tenderness before you un-foil. Then I put them back in the smoke for 30 minutes to finish. You should sauce at this time if you sauce. All this can be modified to produce the end result you are looking for. My wife likes Neely's Rub. It is very simple.
4 parts paprika
2 parts brown sugar
1 part onion powder.
Then I sauce hers with Cattleman's or Sweet Baby Ray's original sauces
Old 05-21-2017, 07:03 AM
wannabe sumtin

I do about the same but squirt a good layer of parkay squeeze margarine , a little honey and another light coating of rub on them just before wrapping. also see if you can find some apple wood to mix with the pecan .
Old 05-22-2017, 07:36 AM
THE PLACE Member

Thanks guys!! I'll try that!
Old 05-30-2017, 07:12 AM
THE PLACE Member

I did exactly what you guys said.......and WOW!!!

Those were the best ribs I've ever eaten!!

We had 12 folks eating..........all of them said they were the best they've eaten!

My neighbor is going to buy a smoker and wants me to teach him how to cook ribs like that......

Thanks for the help!!
Old 05-30-2017, 01:32 PM
HNIC

Glad they turned out well for you. I've been using the Signature rub from www.lanesbbq.com. Local GA company with some jam up spice rubs. I've also been using a local sauce, WC Bryan's. Vinegar, onion, pepper...absolutely unreal. I can't stand sweet BBQ sauce. Might be from growing up in SW VA, but to me that stuff is nasty and just makes a sticky mess. I don't foil either, but that's just me. Once you reach an internal temp of 195 it doesn't really matter how you do it. I just prefer a little more "bite" in mine.

Red
Old 05-30-2017, 02:03 PM
#MadeinthemothereffinUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Red View Post
Glad they turned out well for you. I've been using the Signature rub from www.lanesbbq.com. Local GA company with some jam up spice rubs. I've also been using a local sauce, WC Bryan's. Vinegar, onion, pepper...absolutely unreal. I can't stand sweet BBQ sauce. Might be from growing up in SW VA, but to me that stuff is nasty and just makes a sticky mess. I don't foil either, but that's just me. Once you reach an internal temp of 195 it doesn't really matter how you do it. I just prefer a little more "bite" in mine.

Red
Lane's has got some good rubs. I like the signature on chicken and pork. Been using the brisket rub on tri tip and other roasts. I'll put it on scalloped potatoes too. I picked up some of the Q-nami a week or so ago. It's good on fish and chicken. When I do ribs, I usually make my own rub though. I also do not foil.
Old 05-30-2017, 02:15 PM
HNIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigpen View Post
Lane's has got some good rubs. I like the signature on chicken and pork. Been using the brisket rub on tri tip and other roasts. I'll put it on scalloped potatoes too. I picked up some of the Q-nami a week or so ago. It's good on fish and chicken. When I do ribs, I usually make my own rub though. I also do not foil.
You need to try the ancho espresso on steaks, tritip or something like that. Reverse sear in a cast iron skillet...it's on like Donkey Kong.

Red
Old 05-30-2017, 02:27 PM
#MadeinthemothereffinUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Red View Post
You need to try the ancho espresso on steaks, tritip or something like that. Reverse sear in a cast iron skillet...it's on like Donkey Kong.

Red
I've never been big on the coffee rubs. Reverse sear is the only way I do steaks now. I've got a rub I make that puts a nice crust when seared in cast iron with some butter.
Old 05-30-2017, 02:35 PM
Pintail is my best good chum

Quote:
I've never been big on the coffee rubs.
Salt and pepper only for my steak please.
"I've been working here for 44 years. Ain't nobody ever ordered nothing but a T-Bone steak and baked potato. Except one time, this @sshole from New York ordered a trout, back in 1987. We ain't got no g**d*mned trout".,
Old 05-30-2017, 03:05 PM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
I've never been big on the coffee rubs. Reverse sear is the only way I do steaks now. I've got a rub I make that puts a nice crust when seared in cast iron with some butter.
Slight glaze of olive oil will put a great crusted sear on a steak.
Old 05-30-2017, 04:01 PM
THE PLACE Member

I did two racks yesterday. No foil here either. I did some for the oldest boy and I on Sun night at higher temps and they were good too.

Smoke with some chunks of a Bradford pear I took down. ��
Old 05-30-2017, 04:36 PM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiaboy View Post
I did two racks yesterday. No foil here either. I did some for the oldest boy and I on Sun night at higher temps and they were good too.

Smoke with some chunks of a Bradford pear I took down. ��
I have plenty of that in my back yard.....was it any good with bradford pear wood?
Old 05-30-2017, 04:37 PM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimp View Post
Salt and pepper only for my steak please.

I like the 7 pepper seasoning at Longhorns.........other than that pepper and a little salt.
Old 05-30-2017, 04:57 PM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncy View Post
I have plenty of that in my back yard.....was it any good with bradford pear wood?
I'm not high class enough to be able to tell much difference between woods but it was good. I read it's mild, about like apple. I use cherry too, it's cut and split already and the Bradford may have been better. Of course I'm using an Akorn which gives me a little of the Paymaster magic.