The Outdoors Place  
THE PLACE Chat Room

Go Back   The Outdoors Place > Hunting > Food/Bait Plots/Supplemental Feeding
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2008, 11:36 PM
THE PLACE Member

Default Antler size

I was watching a show the other day about Elk antlers, and was wondering if the same applied to whitetails. Basically it said that thickness(mass) of antlers depends on the health of the animal at the end of the rut and winter. The healthier he is going into spring dictates antler mass. So I'm wondering if we should start feeding corn as soon as the season is over up until spring green up. This will build fat on the animal.

The over all size of the antlers depends on the nutrition they get during growing season. So high pro feed after spring green up.

Also it was said there are some elk that might be gay(well sort of) They do not participate in the rut and normally have great antlers size because they store their energy.

So I'm wondering if most huge deer are queer deer? So who likes killing queer deer? who likes to nail queers?
Old 11-14-2008, 07:07 AM
THE PLACE Member

Corn is not the answer, it offers little nutrition. Clovers and other winter food plots as well as healthy native browse will provide what they need.
Old 11-14-2008, 09:45 AM
Chasin' A Swamp Chicken

there seems to be a lot of big deer in iowa, illinois, nebraska etc etc where one of the main crops is corn. they get big somehow.
i would think that corn gives them energy and fat to store and get them thru harsh winters. i would think that the corn improves the overall health of the deer and makes them more likely to grow bigger antlers based on that alone. i know that corn doesn't necessarily directly contribute to antler growth but the overall health of the deer does.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:08 AM
hummyfried

Suplamental Feeding Works Great We Use A Mix Of 2/3 Corn - 1/3 Soybeans Then Gradually Move To 50/50 .... ONLY kNOw FROM PHOTO'S CAUSE I DON'T GET TO HUNT
Old 11-14-2008, 10:47 AM
THE PLACE Member

A good mast crop one year will affect the antler size the next season positively, also, a poor mast crop will be seen the next season in the antlers as well. It does depend on the health of the animal when antler growthe starts. Just remember, body comes first, antlers are secondary..
Old 11-14-2008, 06:05 PM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
Corn is not the answer, it offers little nutrition. Clovers and other winter food plots as well as healthy native browse will provide what they need.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ih8gon View Post
A good mast crop one year will affect the antler size the next season positively, also, a poor mast crop will be seen the next season in the antlers as well. It does depend on the health of the animal when antler growthe starts. Just remember, body comes first, antlers are secondary..
Corn has the same protien value as mast crops. The corn adds the weight in the winter. After spring green up it is of very little value for growing antlers. You need to first understand the science of the deer's needs before stabbing in the dark. Good input ih8gon.
Old 11-14-2008, 06:07 PM
THE PLACE Member

Corn is "deer candy"........They love it and it does help with body fat, but as far as helping with antler size, it doesn't...........No protein to speak of.......
Old 11-14-2008, 06:25 PM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HT2 View Post
Corn is "deer candy"........They love it and it does help with body fat, but as far as helping with antler size, it doesn't...........No protein to speak of.......
Goes to show what you know
Old 11-14-2008, 06:44 PM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator View Post
all i know is that all these states with thousands and thousands of acres of corn fields and very little else for them to eat grow em' big....thats my scientific observation.
Its called deer candy
Old 11-14-2008, 07:24 PM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansashunter View Post
Goes to show what you know
You just figuring that out Einstein??????? The corn shore does make 'em taste good though.........Corn feed deermeat is good !!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator View Post
all i know is that all these states with thousands and thousands of acres of corn fields and very little else for them to eat grow em' big....thats my scientific observation.

That is true Blaine, but remember...........In most of those states you speak of, there is a limited firearms season (Not like here in Georgia).......Predominately Archery hunting going on most of the time........

Therefore that contributes to "growing them big" along with all the good crops they grow.
Old 11-14-2008, 07:28 PM
hummyfried

wow no response to my suggestion ..... soybeans are full of protein to grow those horns
Old 11-14-2008, 07:29 PM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMMDADDY View Post
wow no response to my suggestion ..... soybeans are full of protein to grow those horns
There is no doubt that soybeans are good for deer and growing their antlers.............They are full of protein, however I'd do the mix of 1/3 corn and 2/3 soybeans........

All it takes is just a little corn and they'll flock to that stuff.........Besides the less the corn, the fewer the coons.........
Old 11-14-2008, 09:32 PM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMMDADDY View Post
I would think soybeans would be excellent source for protien and for growth during their growing time.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:02 PM
hummyfried

You Just Have To Get Their Stomachs Adjusted To All That Protein , Gotta Back Off A Little On The Mix , When They Adjust You Will Know Then Change It Up
Old 11-14-2008, 10:44 PM
snuffer

i have good luck w/ peanuts.