The Outdoors Place  
THE PLACE Chat Room

Go Back   The Outdoors Place > Hunting > Hunting
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Do you think increasing wildlife fines would work?
Yes 15 71.43%
No 6 28.57%
Totally would depend on the area/region... 0 0%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-17-2009, 10:00 AM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philmagroin View Post
Nope. I abide by all game laws, always have. I think they are fair. He just happened to be riding by when one of our members was entering the gate. He was just curious I guess. I told him..I was glad to see him.
So, they had no reason to interrupt your hunt or cause you delay. They are not there to be "snope dogs" just enforce laws when they are broken.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:07 AM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator View Post
I think one of the worse things GA DNR is doing now is the online and CD/rom courses where the kids just have to do some things online and then show up to take the test.
I agree and have expressed my thoughts to Capt. Bell and Col. West on this...
Old 06-17-2009, 10:08 AM
Pintail is my best good chum

Quote:
Originally Posted by D2D View Post

Residents and non-residents born on or after January 1, 1961 must successfully complete a hunter education course prior to purchasing a season hunting license. However, a hunter education course is not required to purchase a one (1) day license or a three (3) day Non-Resident Hunting License. Hunter education courses certified or mandated by any state wildlife agency or Canadian province are accepted. Hunter Education is not required to hunt on one's own land or land of a parent or guardian.
so if my brother wants to bow hunt this year, he doesnt have to have a hunters safety card as long as he buys a one day license?
Old 06-17-2009, 10:08 AM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryano View Post
so if my brother wants to bow hunt this year, he doesnt have to have a hunters safety card as long as he buys a one day license?
That's correct...
Old 06-17-2009, 10:09 AM
Foot in mouth

Quote:
So, they had no reason to interrupt your hunt or cause you delay. They are not there to be "snope dogs" just enforce laws when they are broken.
WTH are you saying? Are you on dope? I'm just saying...that the presence of law enforcement will prevent poaching more than increased fines. Maybe thay should increase fines to finance more law enforcement....When I first started hunting...I would see a warden almost every weekend... I welcome them..I have nothing to hide....
Old 06-17-2009, 10:10 AM
Foot in mouth

Quote:
That's correct...
Yup.........
Old 06-17-2009, 10:11 AM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
WTH are you saying? Are you on dope? I'm just saying...that the presence of law enforcement will prevent poaching more than increased fines. Maybe thay should increase fines to finance more law enforcement....When I first started hunting...I would see a warden almost every weekend... I welcome them..I have nothing to hide....
I realize you have NOTHING to hide and they may also realize this. They are "NOT" going to waste time checking you (the good, honest, law abiding hunter) when they know of 20 other areas that are laced with poaching scum bags that don't have a care in the world about breaking game laws. Why visit and bug you, wasting time when they can go bust a** elsewhere...
Old 06-17-2009, 10:12 AM
hummyfried

Quote:
While I agree with you about the fact of it teaching the act of being safe, the course is much more involved than that...

We teach animal identification, equipment, shooting skills, hunting skills, ethics, conservation and legislative means to keeping our sport healthy.
there is no way that the people that take that 2 day class could get the kind of outdoor education i am speaking of teaching in our middle schools and above
Old 06-17-2009, 10:14 AM
Foot in mouth

Quote:
I realize you have NOTHING to hide and they may also realize this. They are "NOT" going to waste time checking you (the good, honest, law abiding hunter) when they know of 20 other areas that are laced with poaching scum bags that don't have a care in the world about breaking game laws. Why visit and bug you, wasting time when they can go bust a** elsewhere...
Well...sometimes you can give them chicken on a stick, and they won't do a darn thing about it. I have a good story to tell on that, but its long....
Old 06-17-2009, 10:16 AM
Pintail is my best good chum

Quote:
I have a good story to tell on that, but its long....
Ive got time
Old 06-17-2009, 10:17 AM
THE PLACE Member

I voted NO because "poachers are poachers", IF caught, they will pay their fine and keep doing what they do.

Same with license suspension, all that means for a poacher is that they saved $60 for a sportsmans license.

The only way to slow/control poaching is put enough DNR personnel out in the field.

Right now, my guess is that 99% of poaching episodes are uncaught/unreported.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:45 AM
hummyfried

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator View Post
we teach hunter safety courses as well here and we teach he safety aspect of it...but we go into handling firearms, laws and regulations, identifying wildlife, ethics and conservation as well...its still not enough but we try and make it as interesting and as educational as possible so its not like they are just coming in and going through a checklist.
I think one of the worse things GA DNR is doing now is the online and CD/rom courses where the kids just have to do some things online and then show up to take the test.
learning how to hunt on a computer could be detramental to the future of the hunting world ... i believe there is no better education than being in the woods hands-on , with somebody with the knowledge to teach .... the computer can be an educational tool , but we need a human to educate and send them on the right path of learning in the woods or using a computer for homework to find and learn more about what the teacher is trying to teach them to learn
Old 06-17-2009, 10:48 AM
Foot in mouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixes View Post
I voted NO because "poachers are poachers", IF caught, they will pay their fine and keep doing what they do.

Same with license suspension, all that means for a poacher is that they saved $60 for a sportsmans license.

The only way to slow/control poaching is put enough DNR personnel out in the field.

Right now, my guess is that 99% of poaching episodes are uncaught/unreported.
Thanks!!! Who is gonna worry about fines, when the odds of getting caught are nill....
Old 06-17-2009, 10:49 AM
hummyfried

they offer a fishing class in some high schools now , and they have fishing tourneys , boats , uniforms , the whole 9 yards ....why not offer education to young hunters???
Old 06-17-2009, 10:51 AM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Thanks!!! Who is gonna worry about fines, when the odds of getting caught are nill....
That is a huge concern right now...

Reduced budget means reduced patrols, over worked wardens, etc...