The Outdoors Place  
THE PLACE Chat Room

Go Back   The Outdoors Place > Hunting > Food/Bait Plots/Supplemental Feeding
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2008, 09:55 AM
THE PLACE Member

Default Anyone Planting trees?

If so I want to help you get not good but great results.
I've planted trees for years and have learned many tricks to improve survival rates. I few years back ER turned me on to tree tubes. These thing are like magic. Last season I planted around 20 trees in tree tubes. I only lost three of those. I ran out of tubes and had extra trees so I planted about 30 more trees and only 4 survived. Are you seeing the difference here?
Lately I have been getting my tree planting supplies from http://www.wildlifegroup.com/ .
They have everything you need including trees to make your planting successful. And you will get in a matter of a few days.
Here is what I use and how. Everything in another color I get from the above guys, and recommend it.

I place trees I'm planting into a bucket of water for thirty minutes before planting. I then mix up a batch of soil moisture mizer. I dig a hole and mix pete moss 50/50 with the soil I take out. The hole I dig will be a bout a 2 gallon hole only a few inches deeper then the tree roots. I want a good wide hole. I mix into the soil some about a teaspoon of dry moisture mizer, along with a scoop of double action fertilizer.
I then take tree and submerge into the mixer of soil moisture mizer. I want to make sure the roots are covered with this. I then place the tree in the hole and start back filling. Once roots are covered I water in to settle soil. I then fill remainder of soil to right below ground level. Then I place tree protector around tree. I use the 48" ones. You can do as I do and make your own stakes or buy them. Then I carefully, trying to make sure I miss the roots drive in a stake and fasten to tree protector. I then check soil and add if needed. The last thing I do is sprinkle a scoop of double action fertilizer around tree. You can mulch if you wish for even better results.
In the winter I will go back and trim any low limbs off tree to promote height growth. I then replace the tube and remove and vegetation around tree. You can either now or in the spring add another scoop of double action fertilizer around tree.
For a cost of less than $5 a tree you can assure your efforts will be rewarded in a few years. From years of planting trees and having poor results, the small investment is well worth the cost. Good Luck!

I even use the soil moisture mizer around my tomatoes plants. What it does is hold water for those dry spells. Who wants to be out watering trees in the middle of July? I have never water a tree planted with this stuff.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:09 AM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator View Post
thanks for posting this Chris...i will be planting more trees again this year.
I wish that 20 years ago we had planted trees on our lease. Would of, should of, could of, don't make no mast crops. This year we should have our first crop of crab apples along with wild pears. A few more years on the acorns but they are looking good.

Someone once commented to me about planting trees on a property you could loose. I just laughed and said "so whats your point? Do you plant food plots, make mineral site? "They said yes. I said "why you could loose your lease and what would that mean?"
Every year we as hunters, outdoorsmen, stewards, managers spend money for the chance, just the chance of killing a big deer. Next season it's just money under the bridge. By planting trees you are planting into the future. And you don't have to do it again next season, because it is done.
My point PLANT TREES.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator Supervisor

Just walked in the door from planting a couple of trees around the house.

2 magnolias and a little water oak.

BuckyT
Old 02-03-2008, 12:03 PM
THE PLACE Member

sounds like he needs to dig them up and bring them to Jefferson County.
Old 02-03-2008, 12:42 PM
Pronounced "tanner boyzz"

nope but ty for the info will remeber
Old 02-03-2008, 12:55 PM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanner boyzz View Post
nope but ty for the info will remeber
No problem. I wasted hundreds of dollars on trees before finally getting it right.
Old 02-03-2008, 01:05 PM
I approve this message!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckyT View Post
Just walked in the door from planting a couple of trees around the house.

2 magnolias and a little water oak.

BuckyT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Do yourself a big favor and yank that water oak up if you plan on staying there Bucky!
I got 20 or so around my house......You cant get anything to grow underneath them trees and the leaves are hell get up in the winter.
Only good thing I can say about them is they produce millions of acorns a year.
Get rid of those magnolia's too! The dang thing shed leafs year round, the cones are a pain in the butt when ya try to mow, and they have shallow roots that get above ground and make mowing around them a pain. They might be pretty, but they're a lawn care nightmare.

Nick T
Old 02-03-2008, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_T View Post
Get rid of those magnolia's too! The dang thing shed leafs year round, the cones are a pain in the butt when ya try to mow, and they have shallow roots that get above ground and make mowing around them a pain. They might be pretty, but they're a lawn care nightmare.

Nick T
The people who move into this house years down the road will have to put up w/that!!!

Slow growing and they're only about 3ft tall!!! My father in law brought them over today for me, so I planted them.

BuckyT
Old 02-03-2008, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Do yourself a big favor and yank that water oak up if you plan on staying there Bucky!
I got 20 or so around my house......You cant get anything to grow underneath them trees and the leaves are hell get up in the winter.
Only good thing I can say about them is they produce millions of acorns a year.
I built my house in a field!!! There aren't any trees and the wife has been on my ass to plant trees.............. I like having no trees, but she want's trees and at this point in time, I'm doing anything to keep her happy and not evil!!!

BuckyT
Old 02-09-2008, 05:29 AM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansashunter View Post
If so I want to help you get not good but great results.
I've planted trees for years and have learned many tricks to improve survival rates. I few years back ER turned me on to tree tubes. These thing are like magic. Last season I planted around 20 trees in tree tubes. I only lost three of those. I ran out of tubes and had extra trees so I planted about 30 more trees and only 4 survived. Are you seeing the difference here?
Lately I have been getting my tree planting supplies from http://www.wildlifegroup.com/ .
They have everything you need including trees to make your planting successful. And you will get in a matter of a few days.
Here is what I use and how. Everything in another color I get from the above guys, and recommend it.

I place trees I'm planting into a bucket of water for thirty minutes before planting. I then mix up a batch of soil moisture mizer. I dig a hole and mix pete moss 50/50 with the soil I take out. The hole I dig will be a bout a 2 gallon hole only a few inches deeper then the tree roots. I want a good wide hole. I mix into the soil some about a teaspoon of dry moisture mizer, along with a scoop of double action fertilizer.
I then take tree and submerge into the mixer of soil moisture mizer. I want to make sure the roots are covered with this. I then place the tree in the hole and start back filling. Once roots are covered I water in to settle soil. I then fill remainder of soil to right below ground level. Then I place tree protector around tree. I use the 48" ones. You can do as I do and make your own stakes or buy them. Then I carefully, trying to make sure I miss the roots drive in a stake and fasten to tree protector. I then check soil and add if needed. The last thing I do is sprinkle a scoop of double action fertilizer around tree. You can mulch if you wish for even better results.
In the winter I will go back and trim any low limbs off tree to promote height growth. I then replace the tube and remove and vegetation around tree. You can either now or in the spring add another scoop of double action fertilizer around tree.
For a cost of less than $5 a tree you can assure your efforts will be rewarded in a few years. From years of planting trees and having poor results, the small investment is well worth the cost. Good Luck!

I even use the soil moisture mizer around my tomatoes plants. What it does is hold water for those dry spells. Who wants to be out watering trees in the middle of July? I have never water a tree planted with this stuff.
No.........

Ain't got the time...........

Besides I want somethin' that will benefit me gettin' deer in right now.........Not 5 years from now...........
Old 02-09-2008, 10:01 AM
THE PLACE Member

Default Thanks for the tips KH!

I have a few Keiffer pears that will be planted in about two weeks.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:35 PM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster Jones View Post
No.........

Ain't got the time...........

Besides I want somethin' that will benefit me gettin' deer in right now.........Not 5 years from now...........
Thats why we call it baiting.