The Outdoors Place  
THE PLACE Chat Room

Go Back   The Outdoors Place > Hunting > Deer Hunting
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2017, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickdraw View Post
I shot a big 8 pt yesterday morning at 745 am following 5 mins behind a doe. 34 yd shot. Hit him guess where. Low shoulder. Ughhhh. Was using a Ramcat Broadhead. Did not get a hole lot of penetration and arrow stayed in deer. Called in Mile Lopez and Lucy. Started tracking at 5 pm. We tracked this buck for 3 miles! Jumped him 3 times and the last one we would have finished him with pistol but couldnít get the shot off in the dark. He was bleeding badly toward the end of track. My back is out this am and Iím stove up pretty good it mentally and physically drained. First time in my life I feel like giving up bowhunting. I shoot as good as ever but mentally I am broke. Very very disappointed in myself. We had to get picked up last night off hwy 212 by mikes wife. Long night
Hate reading this Kevin.... Shit happens buddy.... hope youíre able to get back after him tomorrow. Keep your head up.
Old 11-26-2017, 05:45 PM
Dammit Bobby

After seeing a couple of horny young bucks early in the season (one spike chasing 4 does around my stand the first cold snap), Haven’t seen much rotting activity at the lease in Jefferson.

Took Allison yesterday morning and saw 8-10 well before daylight walking to the stand. After daylight not a dang thing.

I’ve been seeing deer on most hunts, just no shooter bucks. Saw a group of 6 last Sat (young bucks and 4 does) then same 4 does in a group taking the same trail on Mon.
Old 11-26-2017, 05:45 PM
Dammit Bobby

Quote:
I shot a big 8 pt yesterday morning at 745 am following 5 mins behind a doe. 34 yd shot. Hit him guess where. Low shoulder. Ughhhh. Was using a Ramcat Broadhead. Did not get a hole lot of penetration and arrow stayed in deer. Called in Mile Lopez and Lucy. Started tracking at 5 pm. We tracked this buck for 3 miles! Jumped him 3 times and the last one we would have finished him with pistol but couldnít get the shot off in the dark. He was bleeding badly toward the end of track. My back is out this am and Iím stove up pretty good it mentally and physically drained. First time in my life I feel like giving up bowhunting. I shoot as good as ever but mentally I am broke. Very very disappointed in myself. We had to get picked up last night off hwy 212 by mikes wife. Long night
That sucks
Old 11-26-2017, 06:09 PM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Kevin, that just sucks man. Hopefully you can get in to find him.
Old 11-26-2017, 06:39 PM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckyT View Post
Hate reading this Kevin.... Shit happens buddy.... hope youíre able to get back after him tomorrow. Keep your head up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssramage View Post
Kevin, that just sucks man. Hopefully you can get in to find him.
Got permission from landowner to pick up track where buck entered her property but that's a long way from where we jumped him last. Couldn't tell her the buck was 300 yds off her entrance gate or she would have known we trampled thru her property. Mike would only come if we could enter thru her gate. He was going to try and come tonight but I have a family obligation. Called landowner back and told her direction buck was headed and asked her to watch for buzzards or if she happened upon it to call me. She is a hunter and her family hunts the property. She said she would look for buzzards tomorrow. They should be easy to see as her place has been selective cut recently. She felt bad for me and said you should drop them in their tracks and I said that's tough to do with archery equipment.. LoL. I'm going to look also as I can see that area from hwy 212 and check for buzzards. Hate losing deer.
Old 11-26-2017, 08:05 PM
The ****in Slipknot \m/

Damn hate that Kevin
Old 11-26-2017, 08:20 PM
THE PLACE Member

Hunting hard. Saw 4 does this morning and 3 bucks this evening. Saw my second ever piebald this morning. Hard at it until the end of season.
Old 11-26-2017, 08:20 PM
THE PLACE Member

Sucks to hear quickie. It happens. Don't let it get you down.
Old 11-26-2017, 08:39 PM
THE PLACE Member

I am still south and heading home tomorrow. We have seen a lot of rut activity. Bucks are stanky and cruising. I shot a decent 8 that came out about 450 yards on a peanut field. I was sitting just past the 400 yard target. Had a good probe rest and had the data so I shot him but couldn’t find blood. I rolled a coyote this morning at 351 yards. Buddy killed a big bodied mature 8 but the end of his rack was broken so it’s a 6 now. He came out on a field at 9:30 am and hocks were nasty but he had no balls. I assume he got hung on a fence but he had been fighting. I’ve seen a bunch of does and yearlings and some young bucks.
Old 11-27-2017, 08:50 AM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiaboy View Post
I am still south and heading home tomorrow. We have seen a lot of rut activity. Bucks are stanky and cruising. I shot a decent 8 that came out about 450 yards on a peanut field. I was sitting just past the 400 yard target. Had a good probe rest and had the data so I shot him but couldnít find blood. I rolled a coyote this morning at 351 yards. Buddy killed a big bodied mature 8 but the end of his rack was broken so itís a 6 now. He came out on a field at 9:30 am and hocks were nasty but he had no balls. I assume he got hung on a fence but he had been fighting. Iíve seen a bunch of does and yearlings and some young bucks.
Sounds like good hunts gb, where you at?
Old 11-27-2017, 02:51 PM
THE PLACE Member

Dang Kevin! Hopefully you will get closure on this one.

As for the deer movement, we are really just cranking in Heard County. Saw really good chasing on Thanksgiving (when I killed my buck). Went back Saturday on a doe mission and saw one of my 2 year old 8's all by himself.

Going to hunt a general hunt on the WMA this Thurs-Saturday. Hopefully tag a bonus buck or a doe on Saturday. Should be perfect timing for movement. Full moon may hamper it some though. Last year on this hunt all of the movement was from 11-2 in the afternoon.
Old 11-27-2017, 08:11 PM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff View Post
Sounds like good hunts gb, where you at?
Nashville, GA. This morning my buddy sat in the stand I’d been hunting a lot. About 7:30 he shot a big 8 with a small drop tine. Huge bases and taxidermist scored him at 136 and change. Fine deer for where we hunt. He was also shooting my rifle and handloads

He hasn’t killed many deer and these were by far his biggest. I was tickled for him.
Old 11-27-2017, 09:10 PM
Mean muggin

Great pics Owen. Thanks for sharing. Did you find the one you shot? If there were pics to go along with these stories, it would make it much cooler and easier to decipher.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:42 AM
THE PLACE Member

Go everyday...........passed a 130 8 point the other evening........and saw a grown one Sunday evening!!
Old 12-12-2017, 12:54 PM
THE PLACE Member

Hunted some in the snow. Passed up a few little ones. Saw a stud last Thursday morning with some does, and couldn't get a shot cause 3 other runt bucks came to the party and they all ran off.

He is the biggest bodied deer that I have seen on the family land. I need to kill him, since the contract on the land closes after the first of the year and I will lose that part of the honey hole