The Outdoors Place  
THE PLACE Chat Room

Go Back   The Outdoors Place > General > Shooting The Bull
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2018, 01:16 PM
THE PLACE Member

Thumbs down Don't pee on my back......

and tell me it's raining!

Let me say it right now......I don't care if it was a pet or pen raised.....not jealous one bit........and don't give a rats ass......

BUT.....that big buck was most certainly a local pet and IMO a semi tamed deer! If you could walk into the backyard and watch him feed he is semi-tame! You think you could walk up to a buck like that in the wild and watch him feed?

http://www.gon.com/hunting/story-of-...te-record-buck
Old 01-05-2018, 01:44 PM
Pintail is my best good chum

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncy View Post
and tell me it's raining!

Let me say it right now......I don't care if it was a pet or pen raised.....not jealous one bit........and don't give a rats ass......

BUT.....that big buck was most certainly a local pet and IMO a semi tamed deer! If you could walk into the backyard and watch him feed he is semi-tame! You think you could walk up to a buck like that in the wild and watch him feed?

http://www.gon.com/hunting/story-of-...te-record-buck
Yep, I agree totally. Not a "pet" per se but semi tame for sure. The challenge in killing these deer seems to be getting permission to hunt these small parcels of land in these high dollar Atlanta subdivisions. They basically have zero pressure and are use to people being around and feeding them etc. Period. Its really no different than me shooting deer at Carters Lake campgrounds that otherwise never get hunted. Those deer there are dumb as rocks and very use to people being in the woods because of hikers, mountain bikers etc. The biggest difference is, these guys HAVE to do it with a bow which does make it more challenging.
"I've been working here for 44 years. Ain't nobody ever ordered nothing but a T-Bone steak and baked potato. Except one time, this @sshole from New York ordered a trout, back in 1987. We ain't got no g**d*mned trout".,

Last edited by Gimp : 01-05-2018 at 01:47 PM.
Old 01-05-2018, 05:59 PM
THE PLACE Member

We had one killed up here locally near the last place I lived, all the neighbors knew about and no one would grant anyone permission to hunt. The buck could be seen bedded in peoples front yards, it was like everyones pet. Just like this story, the buck only left the neighborhood during November. One guy had permission on one of the neighboring properties.. He got a call from someone who saw the buck chasing a doe in the neighborhood so he ran and got in his stand and sure enough, the buck ran under him and got shot.. The neighborhood was pissed to say the least.

"Money buys bucks and tits" jb
You can't spell SPOILED without OIL
Old 01-05-2018, 09:12 PM
THE PLACE Member

A buck that had lived that long in that environment was probably not afraid of people, especially being fed since it was young basically by hand.
Old 01-05-2018, 10:02 PM
THE PLACE Member

I hunt a fairly suburban tract but there is 800-1000 acres behind me of big woods. They have plenty of corridors to travel. In Fulton suburbs they do not. Sit in between homes in Nov enough days and you are going to shoot a biggun. With that being said my suburban bucks are not nearly as wild as deer I hunt in other places. Little to no hunting pressure makes them move about more natural and freely. You are correct the bucks are basically semi tame and smell human all day everyday. Those bucks are not shy of humans . I watched their videos. They shoot bucks in yards, driveways between homes with corn feeders set out etc. it may be a state record but I'm more impressed with a 5 yr old 120 inch 8 that's wild. It's amazing that deer avoided cars for 10yrs. I'm more impressed by that!

Last edited by Quickdraw : 01-05-2018 at 10:06 PM.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:39 PM
THE PLACE Member

There are a lot of areas that deer don't have to cross roads as long as they stay in the river corridor. Maybe subdivision roads but not major thoroughfares. I used to work in that area and the chattahoochee river basin is very large.

Do y'all remember the big Bob Combs buck from there several years back? First well publized buck from the area. I know the guy who was with him the morning it was killed. It was a "pet" of the neighborhood residents
Old 01-06-2018, 11:18 AM
THE PLACE Member

I used to mow yards while in college and a local guy lived outside of Statesboro.....he had several giant bucks behind his house.......when I showed up in the late afternoon to mow he would call them in and feed them.........you couldn't pet them....but they would get close enough to shoot with bow.......were they wild? Sure......they were free to roam wherever they wanted....however they were not afraid of humans.......just like this douche on GON.
Old 01-06-2018, 04:43 PM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixes View Post
There are a lot of areas that deer don't have to cross roads as long as they stay in the river corridor. Maybe subdivision roads but not major thoroughfares. I used to work in that area and the chattahoochee river basin is very large.

Do y'all remember the big Bob Combs buck from there several years back? First well publized buck from the area. I know the guy who was with him the morning it was killed. It was a "pet" of the neighborhood residents
Ole Bob is a member of the seek 1 group that the Ellis kid started. They are in this to try and make money in the outdoor industry and become pro hunters. That's the bottom line. I watched one buck walk in bed down get up bed down and then walks up to Maxwells blowing on the grunt tube and looks up in the tree at him. Maxwell shoots him and he walks 2 steps and falls over.. Just shooting a pet that happens to have horns
Old 01-08-2018, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncy View Post
I used to mow yards while in college and a local guy lived outside of Statesboro.....he had several giant bucks behind his house.......when I showed up in the late afternoon to mow he would call them in and feed them.........you couldn't pet them....but they would get close enough to shoot with bow.......were they wild? Sure......they were free to roam wherever they wanted....however they were not afraid of humans.......just like this douche on GON.
Ole Echo tamed em up in his backyard. Those were some hossís for coastal bucks.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:33 AM
Super Moderator Supervisor

The fact the guy had to make sure he said those bucks are just as hard or harder to kill as “country” deer told me he is worried about what others think and....a good chance that buck was semi tame.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:53 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickdraw View Post
Ole Bob is a member of the seek 1 group that the Ellis kid started. They are in this to try and make money in the outdoor industry and become pro hunters. That's the bottom line. I watched one buck walk in bed down get up bed down and then walks up to Maxwells blowing on the grunt tube and looks up in the tree at him. Maxwell shoots him and he walks 2 steps and falls over.. Just shooting a pet that happens to have horns
Same opinion. It's all focused on the $$$ and big antlers. I watched one clip. Driving around, seeing buck bedded in yard, and hunting next door backyard. Not hunting.....
Old 01-09-2018, 09:16 PM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckyT View Post
Ole Echo tamed em up in his backyard. Those were some hossís for coastal bucks.
They're still here BuckyT, not quite as big as some of the ones that I've seen in the past but still pretty good for coastal bucks like you said.

Knowing firsthand how these neighborhood bucks react to people, especially ones that are being fed regularly, I'd say it's wishful thinking at best on the part of these hunters to say these bucks are as difficult to kill as a deer on truly wild habitat.