The Outdoors Place  
THE PLACE Chat Room

Go Back   The Outdoors Place > General > Project and Fix It
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2014, 11:49 AM
Wall Flower

I can see why you don't want to pull the tub, for current use and resale........but what about your other bathroom?
Old 03-19-2014, 11:50 AM
THE PLACE Member

Home improvements are expensive for a reason. First you have the cost of tearing something out and then the cost of building it again. Depending on how you floor is done you can't just slap tile down on it after you pull up the vinyl or linoleum floor. Be careful of who you have do your work. Anyone with a pulse can set tile, but making sure your grout lines or tile don't crack in few years is a different story.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:09 PM
Pintail is my best good chum

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowman#3 View Post
Home improvements are expensive for a reason. First you have the cost of tearing something out and then the cost of building it again. Depending on how you floor is done you can't just slap tile down on it after you pull up the vinyl or linoleum floor. Be careful of who you have do your work. Anyone with a pulse can set tile, but making sure your grout lines or tile don't crack in few years is a different story.
I would never ever consider anyone but a reputable tile contractor that knows what the heck they are doing. There is a concrete slab under the linoleum.
"I've been working here for 44 years. Ain't nobody ever ordered nothing but a T-Bone steak and baked potato. Except one time, this @sshole from New York ordered a trout, back in 1987. We ain't got no g**d*mned trout".,

Last edited by Gimp : 03-19-2014 at 12:16 PM.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
I can see why you don't want to pull the tub, for current use and resale........but what about your other bathroom?
It's way too small and I have a roommate that occupies that front bedroom.
"I've been working here for 44 years. Ain't nobody ever ordered nothing but a T-Bone steak and baked potato. Except one time, this @sshole from New York ordered a trout, back in 1987. We ain't got no g**d*mned trout".,
Old 03-19-2014, 12:28 PM

There are a few of you fellas that seem to be familiar with tile work.

Is the general consensus that this is impossible to do?
Old 03-19-2014, 12:43 PM
Wall Flower

Not impossible. You can pour another 3 foot slab to the rear of the bath wall. Move the existing wall out three feet. Tie in a new roof. Build you a roll in shower and tile the whole bathroom and it will look like it came with the house. Sounds complicated but it's not. With the improvements in the housing market, you might have enough equity to borrow the money.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
Not impossible. You can pour another 3 foot slab to the rear of the bath wall. Move the existing wall out three feet. Tie in a new roof. Build you a roll in shower and tile the whole bathroom and it will look like it came with the house. Sounds complicated but it's not. With the improvements in the housing market, you might have enough equity to borrow the money.
What you said about resale is very true I want to be careful that anything I do doesnt effect that. In a perfect world, I will flip this place 5 years from now for about double what I paid for it.

5 years ago when that place was started, those homes were listing at 130K. Of course thats probably why THE PLACE folded because it all happened right before the crash.

The new ones being built they are gonna "start at" 120,000. Will they sell? Who knows But Ive only got 61,000 in mine
Old 03-19-2014, 01:18 PM
THE PLACE Member

Not impossible at all bud. Shouldn' t be a problem for someone that knows what they are doing.

Rip that one out, raise the drain, pour/place a 2" grout bed sloping to the drain, build seat, line with fiber board, put the tile to it. Oh yea, drop the shower head where you can reach it.

You will still need a 6-8" band to keep the water inside, not much of a way around that.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:27 PM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimp View Post
I would never ever consider anyone but a reputable tile contractor that knows what the heck they are doing. There is a concrete slab under the linoleum.
Good deal. Growing up in and around the commercial tile/ stone / terrazzo business I have seen a lot of guys who think they are contractors, because they have a truck and 2 hands who don't speak English working for them. Some of these guys do great work, but more times then not they don't.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff View Post

You will still need a 6-8" band to keep the water inside, not much of a way around that.
I can use the collapsible rubber barrier for that

Something similar to this is what I have pictured in my mind. With a little higher bench. I could run a handheld shower off the existing shower head and basically mount it wherever I need it.

Last edited by Gimp : 03-19-2014 at 01:30 PM.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:28 PM
THE PLACE Member

Where do you live?
Old 03-19-2014, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOWHUNTER! View Post
Where do you live?
Fairmount Ga East of Calhoun and West of Jasper.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:39 PM

This is called a barrier free water dam that they are using now...........When used with a weighted shower curtain they work really great. I can roll the chair over it and it collapses.

Its about 7.00 a foot. Not bad

Old 03-19-2014, 01:42 PM
Dammit Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimp View Post
Nah, I like my tub
Got it...Gimp likes to soak.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatboy View Post
Got it...Gimp likes to soak.
Yeah Its deep though and a real pain in the @$$ for the gimp to get out of

Id love to install a remote control sling lift above it I looked at one of those also Saturday.

Man, the stuff I could do to my house and truck to help things be a little easier on myself if only I had money