The Outdoors Place  
THE PLACE Chat Room

Go Back   The Outdoors Place > Hunting > Deer Hunting
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2016, 09:35 PM
wannabe sumtin

Default My River Creek hunt story

first let Me say that River Creek WMA is one beautiful piece of south Ga land, the DNR had done a great job managing THE PLACE and couldn't be a nicer group of guys and gal running it. I started My hunt on Wednesday morn in a live oak draw between the river and a plowed field with acorns dropping all around. the wind was howling and I didn't see any deer, I got down and did a short walk/stalk down the river bottom and found a nice open flat with a little less wind and a few oaks. After a quick sammich at the truck I hunted that spot from the ground. right at dark a small doe came running into the opening and turned and ran right at me, I was standing leaning against a tree at the time and that lil doe ran right by me at 2 feet, I could have slapped her she was close! I stood there until dark hoping a buck was following but nothing else came. Thursday morn I went back to My climber in the oaks and hung a few sent wicks around the stand with doe pee on them before I climbed up, as soon as it got light to see I saw movement behind me from coming from the plowed field. it was a legal 4 on one side buck and he came in to the first wick and stopped with his head behind a tree ,I could see half his front shoulder and put the cross hair on him and shot. He ran down twards the river with his tail down and I lost sight of him in the thick stuff. I waited a bit and got down and couldn't find any sign of a hit or any blood, I walked the way he ran and finally found dark blood on a small tree and a small chunk of meat about 30 yards from the spot I shot him at., then just a few small speck of blood on the ground . thinking I may have hit him back from where I was aiming so I backed out and went to the truck to give him a little time to expire, at the truck I met another hunter named Dave who was parked there and he volunteered to help me look for My buck. We found a little speck of blood a few yards past where I found the first and then it got better, we follow him thru thick palmettos and privet until we got the river, Dave looked down in the river and said "there's your buck". he was in the river with his head underwater and his rack tangled in some roots. the bank was muddy and slick and I couldn't get down to him without going in the river too. Dave and I took our belts and latched them together and used them to lower me down the bank to grab the buck. after getting up him on the bank I discovered that I had hit him back and got liver and some of the gut sack. Dave suggested that I go to the check station and ask the rangers for help getting him back to the truck . They were so nice they got their new gator and drove all the way down an old river access road right to the buck. He weighed 165# and was aged at 3.5YO. After checking him in , guttin, cleaning and taking him to a cooler I arrived back at 4pm and decided to return to the river bottom and sit on the ground again in the same spot as the first evening in hopes of a doe. At 5:30 I was standing up to give My ass a break and low n behold a nice 130+ class 8 point walked up from behind a palmetto covered mound at 50 yards and just posed for me. I looked at him through the scope and just watched him walk up the hill and out of sight. I saw Dave at the truck and told him about the big 8and he was gonna hunt down there Friday and sat in hopes of getting him, I sure hope he did. I hunted Friday morn in some big open pines and had a small spike chase a doe by me and I through a shot at her but missed. I was a great hunt and I will definitely go back after a few years of rejections. heres a few pics of the buck and pics from down there
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 008.jpg (33.3 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg 010.jpg (56.8 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg 005.jpg (82.6 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg 013.jpg (72.3 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg 004.jpg (64.5 KB, 81 views)

Last edited by Bilgerat : 12-03-2016 at 10:07 PM.
Old 12-03-2016, 10:05 PM
THE PLACE Member

No ce! How many points did it take? I've been saving to go there for turkeys but it looks like I may need to for deer too.
Old 12-03-2016, 10:18 PM
wannabe sumtin

usually takes 3 alone, talked to a few guys who put in as a group and they got in with 2,if anyone wants to put in as a group with me next year Id be glad to

Last edited by Bilgerat : 12-03-2016 at 10:29 PM.
Old 12-04-2016, 09:12 AM
THE PLACE Member

Great story man. Congrats on a nice, free buck!!
Old 12-04-2016, 09:17 AM
The ****in Slipknot \m/

Congrats on your buck. That place is beautiful. Is might be interested in one of the early archery hunts of they still have them.
Old 12-04-2016, 10:07 AM
THE PLACE Member

Congrats! Looks like a great place.
Old 12-04-2016, 10:43 AM
THE PLACE Member

Pretty place. I have 8 rejection notices for turkey. If I get selected in 2017 I may have to get some info from you on THE PLACE. Congrats on the buck!
Old 12-04-2016, 11:07 AM
wannabe sumtin

Ive been there twice for deer and haven't seen or heard a turkey, only seen a few tracks in the roads.Not sure how the turk hunting is there but they have a lot of plowed fire breaks thru the pines and palmettos. should be a good place to hunt.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:46 AM
THE PLACE Member

Way to go, Bilger! That buck has some very good character to his rack and would make a fine skull mount at the very least. Congrats!
Old 12-05-2016, 10:03 AM
THE PLACE Member

Congrats!
Old 12-05-2016, 12:00 PM
wannabe sumtin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo View Post
Way to go, Bilger! That buck has some very good character to his rack and would make a fine skull mount at the very least. Congrats!
boiled his skull yesterday, degreasing it in the kitchen sink this morn, will start the whitening tonight, ill post some pics when I git r dun
Old 12-05-2016, 08:12 PM
THE PLACE Member

Way to go! Congrats on a good looking public land hammer toad!
Old 12-06-2016, 02:27 PM
THE PLACE Member

congrats ! nice buck
Old 12-06-2016, 03:02 PM
wannabe sumtin

Finished the euro mount, I think it turned out good for My first attempt at it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rc 006.jpg (59.3 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg rc 007.jpg (55.7 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by Bilgerat : 12-06-2016 at 03:06 PM.
Old 12-06-2016, 08:50 PM
THE PLACE Member

Looks good!