The Outdoors Place  
THE PLACE Chat Room

Go Back   The Outdoors Place > Outdoors > Gardening
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2014, 08:05 AM
Pintail is my best good chum

Question lawn people?

I know we have talked about this before but we are about to get serious about my yard here in the next few months.

Im gonna have to have some top soil or really good dirt hauled in and spread before doing anything. I cant really afford sod too so I was thinking of seeding a good fairly low maintenance grass.

The best time or ONLY time to seed is fall right? What is the best grass to seed with? Once the dirt is spread and the seed is broadcasted, you cover it all in hay right?

Looking for some ideas. Ive decided to go all grass though. It looks much better. I will just have to hire somebody to mow and weedeat a couple times a month during the summer.
"I've been working here for 44 years. Ain't nobody ever ordered nothing but a T-Bone steak and baked potato. Except one time, this @sshole from New York ordered a trout, back in 1987. We ain't got no g**d*mned trout".,
Old 04-24-2014, 08:19 AM
THE PLACE Member

Not sure if you'd consider it but a guy I work with just had a type of artificial grass put in at his house because he's sodded 4 times down here and it won't grow. It looks REALLY good.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssramage View Post
Not sure if you'd consider it but a guy I work with just had a type of artificial grass put in at his house because he's sodded 4 times down here and it won't grow. It looks REALLY good.
Yeah I would consider it for sure. Pretty much zero maintenance. Wonder what the cost is?

If you could find out any info, I would greatly appreciate it
"I've been working here for 44 years. Ain't nobody ever ordered nothing but a T-Bone steak and baked potato. Except one time, this @sshole from New York ordered a trout, back in 1987. We ain't got no g**d*mned trout".,
Old 04-24-2014, 08:22 AM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimp View Post
Yeah I would consider it for sure. Pretty much zero maintenance. Wonder what the cost is?

If you could find out any info, I would greatly appreciate it
I'll see what I can find out. He said it was a little more than sod, but that it will last 8-10 years.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:24 AM
Antler Addict

Fall is NOT the only time to seed. If you want bermuda...which you will if you have few trees and a lot of sun, end of May is time to go. Not familiar with your temps up in your neck of the woods so maybe Bermuda isn't right, research and make sure you know which works for you.

If you have shade, fescue can be gorgeous.

Each type will be different in how it gets seeded. Bermuda will not grow on top of the ground, it needs to be under soil and have good seed to soil contact. BUT...not too deep. Talk to a local landscape guy and see what he recommends.
Your temps will be different than mine, just not sure how much.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:28 AM

Zero shade! Are you talking air temp or soil temp?

There will be a landscaping company coming in soon enough to do the yards of the houses that are being built but they are going with all sod. I will ask them to see what they say.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:20 AM
Dammit Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimp View Post
Zero shade! Are you talking air temp or soil temp?

There will be a landscaping company coming in soon enough to do the yards of the houses that are being built but they are going with all sod. I will ask them to see what they say.
You may get a discount from them if they are doing many other lots.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:27 AM
THE PLACE Member

I would plant fruit trees
Old 04-24-2014, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff View Post
I would plant fruit trees
Dont think they grow too well in rock
Old 04-24-2014, 09:39 AM
THE PLACE Member

I all honesty Ryan, I would have a pro look at it and see what they could do to make it look great but be as maintenance free as possible. I would consider some pea gravel, mulch, and rocks for decor. Maybe some small trees, junipers and shrubs. Chit you won't have to mess with very often.

I would at least get a price on it. Maybe to expensive, idk.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:46 AM
THE PLACE Member

Ryan - in your area Outdoor Effects does a lot of work and would recommend them. Will give you a free quote and an idea of what you're looking at.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:35 AM
THE PLACE Member

I landscape everyday, and I would highly recommend Savin up an just sodding the yard with Bermuda grass. Seed is cheaper but can be very hit or miss. Plus I believe your lot is steep and stapled sod would do you better when the rains come. Don't want all your new top soil in the street. If you were closer I could sure help you.

Last edited by Jerk Bait : 04-24-2014 at 11:37 AM.
Old 04-24-2014, 02:29 PM
richard

Look at Centipede grass also Ryano...loves full sun, drought tolerant, & does well in low ph soil(red clay).

Plant it in early June
Old 04-24-2014, 03:40 PM
THE PLACE Member

Ryan Google up a sod/seed company in your area that does hydro seeding they can tell you anything you want to know. I would get the dirt ready and let them hydro seed it and be done.
Old 04-24-2014, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpman View Post
Ryan Google up a sod/seed company in your area that does hydro seeding they can tell you anything you want to know. I would get the dirt ready and let them hydro seed it and be done.
Stump, its actually funny that you mention this because I thought about hydroseeding but dont know much about it really.

I do have a friend from the town I use to live in that has a hydroseeding company. I think I will give him a call.