The Outdoors Place  
THE PLACE Chat Room

Go Back   The Outdoors Place > Outdoors > Gardening
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2013, 02:27 PM
THE PLACE Member

Do y'all pinch the runners off of your plants, I always do so the working part of the plant gets all of the water, not a useless sprig
Old 06-19-2013, 02:51 PM
THE PLACE Dumbazz

Bonnie's transplants?

Sometimes the transplants you get at walmart or similar places are stressed. Could a 100 different variables for why they are not producing. Try the fertilizer and see if it helps. If you bought bigger transplants then the nutrients went to the fruit instead of the roots and the tomatoes will not produce more than the stalk could handle. Are they staked?
Damn....Phil will endorse anything. What next....Duck Commander Condoms? Magnum sized in Max-4 camo for when you want to boom boom boom with your Suzy without worrying about her raising a brood....Matt
Old 06-19-2013, 02:54 PM
Pintail is my best good chum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Fool View Post
Are they staked?
Yes.

The plant came from K Mart. It was over a foot tall when I bought it.

Its not that its not producing at all, its just not producing like I thought it would. Figured it would have more than 3 tomatoes on it.
"I've been working here for 44 years. Ain't nobody ever ordered nothing but a T-Bone steak and baked potato. Except one time, this @sshole from New York ordered a trout, back in 1987. We ain't got no g**d*mned trout".,
Old 06-19-2013, 04:37 PM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkl021475 View Post
Do y'all pinch the runners off of your plants, I always do so the working part of the plant gets all of the water, not a useless sprig
Runners and lower branches that are useless. The sugars get sent to the fruit that way instead of useless branches.

"Pruning Tomatoes
How to manage your plants for better health and better fruit
by Frank Ferrandino

Photo/Illustration: Danielle Sherry The intrinsic vigor and hardiness of tomatoes almost always guarantees a successful harvest. However, the rapid growth of a healthy tomato plant can also lead to problems.
A tomato is a solar-powered sugar factory. For the first month or so, all of the sugar it produces is directed towards new leaf growth. During this stage, tomato plants grow very rapidly, doubling their size every 12 to 15 days. Eventually, the plants make more sugar than the single growing tip can use, which signals the plant to make new branches and to flower. This usually happens after 10 to 13 leaves have expanded, at which time the plant is 12 to 18 inches tall. In the next few weeks, the entire character of the tomato plant changes. If unsupported, the increasing weight of filling fruit and multiple side branches forces the plant to lie on the ground. Once the main stem is horizontal, there is an increased tendency to branch. Left to its own devices, a vigorous indeterminate tomato plant can easily cover a 4- by 4-foot area with as many as 10 stems, each 3 to 5 feet long. By season's end, it will be an unsightly, impenetrable, disease-wracked tangle.

Prune for plant structure and health
Suckers form in the axils between the leaves and the main stem. Encourage a strong main stem by removing all suckers below the first flower cluster.
With tomatoes, we want to maximize the efficiency of photosynthesis and minimize the risk of disease. This is best accomplished by ensuring that each leaf has plenty of room and is supported up off the ground. When a tomato plant lies on the ground, or when its growth is extremely dense, many of its leaves are forced into permanent shade, greatly reducing the amount of sugar they produce. If a leaf uses more sugar than it makes, eventually it will yellow and drop off. A pruned and staked plant will produce larger fruit two to three weeks earlier than a prostrate one.

A properly pruned and supported single-stem tomato plant presents all of its leaves to the sun. Most of the sugar produced is directed to the developing fruit, since the only competition is a single growing tip. The result is large fruits that are steadily produced until frost. If more stems are allowed to develop, some of the precious sugar production is diverted from fruit to multiple growing tips. Fruit production, although slowed, never stops. The result is a nearly continuous supply of fruits throughout the season. In general, more stems means more but smaller fruits, which are produced increasingly later in the season."
Old 06-19-2013, 07:06 PM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpman View Post
Runners and lower branches that are useless. The sugars get sent to the fruit that way instead of useless branches.

"Pruning Tomatoes
How to manage your plants for better health and better fruit
by Frank Ferrandino

Photo/Illustration: Danielle Sherry The intrinsic vigor and hardiness of tomatoes almost always guarantees a successful harvest. However, the rapid growth of a healthy tomato plant can also lead to problems.
A tomato is a solar-powered sugar factory. For the first month or so, all of the sugar it produces is directed towards new leaf growth. During this stage, tomato plants grow very rapidly, doubling their size every 12 to 15 days. Eventually, the plants make more sugar than the single growing tip can use, which signals the plant to make new branches and to flower. This usually happens after 10 to 13 leaves have expanded, at which time the plant is 12 to 18 inches tall. In the next few weeks, the entire character of the tomato plant changes. If unsupported, the increasing weight of filling fruit and multiple side branches forces the plant to lie on the ground. Once the main stem is horizontal, there is an increased tendency to branch. Left to its own devices, a vigorous indeterminate tomato plant can easily cover a 4- by 4-foot area with as many as 10 stems, each 3 to 5 feet long. By season's end, it will be an unsightly, impenetrable, disease-wracked tangle.

Prune for plant structure and health
Suckers form in the axils between the leaves and the main stem. Encourage a strong main stem by removing all suckers below the first flower cluster.
With tomatoes, we want to maximize the efficiency of photosynthesis and minimize the risk of disease. This is best accomplished by ensuring that each leaf has plenty of room and is supported up off the ground. When a tomato plant lies on the ground, or when its growth is extremely dense, many of its leaves are forced into permanent shade, greatly reducing the amount of sugar they produce. If a leaf uses more sugar than it makes, eventually it will yellow and drop off. A pruned and staked plant will produce larger fruit two to three weeks earlier than a prostrate one.

A properly pruned and supported single-stem tomato plant presents all of its leaves to the sun. Most of the sugar produced is directed to the developing fruit, since the only competition is a single growing tip. The result is large fruits that are steadily produced until frost. If more stems are allowed to develop, some of the precious sugar production is diverted from fruit to multiple growing tips. Fruit production, although slowed, never stops. The result is a nearly continuous supply of fruits throughout the season. In general, more stems means more but smaller fruits, which are produced increasingly later in the season."
Good read! Have you ever pulled a sucker off and stuck it in the ground? It will make another plant that will bear tomatoes!
Old 06-19-2013, 08:19 PM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkl021475 View Post
Good read! Have you ever pulled a sucker off and stuck it in the ground? It will make another plant that will bear tomatoes!
Never have I cut my plants way back not long ago and did the rest this afternoon. I remove some of the tomatoes as well so the others can get bigger. They have grown another 8-10" since I cut them back and bushed back out more up top.. They are around 7' tall now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg matter.jpg (67.2 KB, 69 views)
Old 07-24-2013, 08:02 PM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpman View Post

Never have I cut my plants way back not long ago and did the rest this afternoon. I remove some of the tomatoes as well so the others can get bigger. They have grown another 8-10" since I cut them back and bushed back out more up top.. They are around 7' tall now.
I've been cutting mine back a lot this year too and it's made a huge difference. Getting more out of 3 plants then I used to put of 10 plants. Mine are 6-8 feet tall.

image-3746216654.jpg
Old 07-24-2013, 09:10 PM
THE PLACE Member

Tomatoes are gross
Old 07-24-2013, 09:23 PM
iHonk

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_white View Post
Tomatoes are gross
You hush your face
Old 07-24-2013, 10:04 PM
R.I.P. Tara I LOVE YOU!!!

Bi-Lo
Old 07-25-2013, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampaspicer View Post
Bi-Lo
Store bought tomatoes are terrible.
"I've been working here for 44 years. Ain't nobody ever ordered nothing but a T-Bone steak and baked potato. Except one time, this @sshole from New York ordered a trout, back in 1987. We ain't got no g**d*mned trout".,
Old 07-25-2013, 07:40 AM
snuffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimp View Post
Store bought tomatoes are terrible.
i dont buy them, and i dont eat them.

i get a lot from my buddy , jimbo...he plants a huge couple gardens, keeps something going year round. i just dont have good sun here, on the creekbank. its real shady here, but its nice for summertime. i just go down and help jim with his garden a couple times a week...and i get all the veggies i want. so much, that i wind up giving a lot away. i keep telling myself that i should learn how to can stuff. my grandparents canned all kinds of things, and always had a huge store of canned jars in the root cellar.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:32 AM
The ****in Slipknot \m/

i'd love a good mater & bacon sammich right now
Old 07-25-2013, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG View Post
i'd love a good mater & bacon sammich right now

Or a mater, vidalia onion and cheese sammich with dukes mayo and salt and pepper.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:13 AM
The ****in Slipknot \m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimp View Post

Or a mater, vidalia onion and cheese sammich with dukes mayo and salt and pepper.
Hell yes!