The Outdoors Place  
THE PLACE Chat Room

Go Back   The Outdoors Place > Outdoors > Gardening
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 06-19-2013, 02:27 PM
Bryan's Avatar
Bryan Bryan is offline
THE PLACE Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Reynolds,GA
Posts: 3,487
Default

Do y'all pinch the runners off of your plants, I always do so the working part of the plant gets all of the water, not a useless sprig
__________________
Don't do dumb s**t!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-19-2013, 02:51 PM
Duck Fool's Avatar
Duck Fool Duck Fool is offline
THE PLACE Dumbazz
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Swainsboro
Posts: 6,745
Default

Bonnie's transplants?



Sometimes the transplants you get at walmart or similar places are stressed. Could a 100 different variables for why they are not producing. Try the fertilizer and see if it helps. If you bought bigger transplants then the nutrients went to the fruit instead of the roots and the tomatoes will not produce more than the stalk could handle. Are they staked?
__________________
Damn....Phil will endorse anything. What next....Duck Commander Condoms? Magnum sized in Max-4 camo for when you want to boom boom boom with your Suzy without worrying about her raising a brood....Matt
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-19-2013, 02:54 PM
Gimp Gimp is offline
Pintail is my best good chum
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Da projects
Posts: 40,781
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Fool View Post
Are they staked?
Yes.

The plant came from K Mart. It was over a foot tall when I bought it.

Its not that its not producing at all, its just not producing like I thought it would. Figured it would have more than 3 tomatoes on it.
__________________
"I've been working here for 44 years. Ain't nobody ever ordered nothing but a T-Bone steak and baked potato. Except one time, this @sshole from New York ordered a trout, back in 1987. We ain't got no g**d*mned trout".,
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-19-2013, 04:37 PM
stumpman's Avatar
stumpman stumpman is offline
THE PLACE Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 9,815
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkl021475 View Post
Do y'all pinch the runners off of your plants, I always do so the working part of the plant gets all of the water, not a useless sprig
Runners and lower branches that are useless. The sugars get sent to the fruit that way instead of useless branches.

"Pruning Tomatoes
How to manage your plants for better health and better fruit
by Frank Ferrandino

Photo/Illustration: Danielle Sherry The intrinsic vigor and hardiness of tomatoes almost always guarantees a successful harvest. However, the rapid growth of a healthy tomato plant can also lead to problems.
A tomato is a solar-powered sugar factory. For the first month or so, all of the sugar it produces is directed towards new leaf growth. During this stage, tomato plants grow very rapidly, doubling their size every 12 to 15 days. Eventually, the plants make more sugar than the single growing tip can use, which signals the plant to make new branches and to flower. This usually happens after 10 to 13 leaves have expanded, at which time the plant is 12 to 18 inches tall. In the next few weeks, the entire character of the tomato plant changes. If unsupported, the increasing weight of filling fruit and multiple side branches forces the plant to lie on the ground. Once the main stem is horizontal, there is an increased tendency to branch. Left to its own devices, a vigorous indeterminate tomato plant can easily cover a 4- by 4-foot area with as many as 10 stems, each 3 to 5 feet long. By season's end, it will be an unsightly, impenetrable, disease-wracked tangle.

Prune for plant structure and health
Suckers form in the axils between the leaves and the main stem. Encourage a strong main stem by removing all suckers below the first flower cluster.
With tomatoes, we want to maximize the efficiency of photosynthesis and minimize the risk of disease. This is best accomplished by ensuring that each leaf has plenty of room and is supported up off the ground. When a tomato plant lies on the ground, or when its growth is extremely dense, many of its leaves are forced into permanent shade, greatly reducing the amount of sugar they produce. If a leaf uses more sugar than it makes, eventually it will yellow and drop off. A pruned and staked plant will produce larger fruit two to three weeks earlier than a prostrate one.

A properly pruned and supported single-stem tomato plant presents all of its leaves to the sun. Most of the sugar produced is directed to the developing fruit, since the only competition is a single growing tip. The result is large fruits that are steadily produced until frost. If more stems are allowed to develop, some of the precious sugar production is diverted from fruit to multiple growing tips. Fruit production, although slowed, never stops. The result is a nearly continuous supply of fruits throughout the season. In general, more stems means more but smaller fruits, which are produced increasingly later in the season."
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-19-2013, 07:06 PM
Bryan's Avatar
Bryan Bryan is offline
THE PLACE Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Reynolds,GA
Posts: 3,487
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpman View Post
Runners and lower branches that are useless. The sugars get sent to the fruit that way instead of useless branches.

"Pruning Tomatoes
How to manage your plants for better health and better fruit
by Frank Ferrandino

Photo/Illustration: Danielle Sherry The intrinsic vigor and hardiness of tomatoes almost always guarantees a successful harvest. However, the rapid growth of a healthy tomato plant can also lead to problems.
A tomato is a solar-powered sugar factory. For the first month or so, all of the sugar it produces is directed towards new leaf growth. During this stage, tomato plants grow very rapidly, doubling their size every 12 to 15 days. Eventually, the plants make more sugar than the single growing tip can use, which signals the plant to make new branches and to flower. This usually happens after 10 to 13 leaves have expanded, at which time the plant is 12 to 18 inches tall. In the next few weeks, the entire character of the tomato plant changes. If unsupported, the increasing weight of filling fruit and multiple side branches forces the plant to lie on the ground. Once the main stem is horizontal, there is an increased tendency to branch. Left to its own devices, a vigorous indeterminate tomato plant can easily cover a 4- by 4-foot area with as many as 10 stems, each 3 to 5 feet long. By season's end, it will be an unsightly, impenetrable, disease-wracked tangle.

Prune for plant structure and health
Suckers form in the axils between the leaves and the main stem. Encourage a strong main stem by removing all suckers below the first flower cluster.
With tomatoes, we want to maximize the efficiency of photosynthesis and minimize the risk of disease. This is best accomplished by ensuring that each leaf has plenty of room and is supported up off the ground. When a tomato plant lies on the ground, or when its growth is extremely dense, many of its leaves are forced into permanent shade, greatly reducing the amount of sugar they produce. If a leaf uses more sugar than it makes, eventually it will yellow and drop off. A pruned and staked plant will produce larger fruit two to three weeks earlier than a prostrate one.

A properly pruned and supported single-stem tomato plant presents all of its leaves to the sun. Most of the sugar produced is directed to the developing fruit, since the only competition is a single growing tip. The result is large fruits that are steadily produced until frost. If more stems are allowed to develop, some of the precious sugar production is diverted from fruit to multiple growing tips. Fruit production, although slowed, never stops. The result is a nearly continuous supply of fruits throughout the season. In general, more stems means more but smaller fruits, which are produced increasingly later in the season."
Good read! Have you ever pulled a sucker off and stuck it in the ground? It will make another plant that will bear tomatoes!
__________________
Don't do dumb s**t!
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 06-19-2013, 08:19 PM
stumpman's Avatar
stumpman stumpman is offline
THE PLACE Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 9,815
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkl021475 View Post
Good read! Have you ever pulled a sucker off and stuck it in the ground? It will make another plant that will bear tomatoes!
Never have I cut my plants way back not long ago and did the rest this afternoon. I remove some of the tomatoes as well so the others can get bigger. They have grown another 8-10" since I cut them back and bushed back out more up top.. They are around 7' tall now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg matter.jpg (67.2 KB, 69 views)
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07-24-2013, 08:02 PM
Gator's Avatar
Gator Gator is offline
THE PLACE Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 20,460
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpman View Post

Never have I cut my plants way back not long ago and did the rest this afternoon. I remove some of the tomatoes as well so the others can get bigger. They have grown another 8-10" since I cut them back and bushed back out more up top.. They are around 7' tall now.
I've been cutting mine back a lot this year too and it's made a huge difference. Getting more out of 3 plants then I used to put of 10 plants. Mine are 6-8 feet tall.



image-3746216654.jpg
__________________
❤️'s the only 🏡 big enough for all the pain in the 🌍
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-24-2013, 09:10 PM
d_white's Avatar
d_white d_white is offline
THE PLACE Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 4,010
Default

Tomatoes are gross
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 07-24-2013, 09:23 PM
PintailM2's Avatar
PintailM2 PintailM2 is offline
iHonk
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ila Ga
Posts: 8,423
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_white View Post
Tomatoes are gross
You hush your face
__________________
Would you look at that....... Just look at it!
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 07-24-2013, 10:04 PM
Tampaspicer's Avatar
Tampaspicer Tampaspicer is offline
R.I.P. Tara I LOVE YOU!!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 34,622
Default

Bi-Lo
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 07-25-2013, 03:27 AM
Gimp Gimp is offline
Pintail is my best good chum
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Da projects
Posts: 40,781
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampaspicer View Post
Bi-Lo
Store bought tomatoes are terrible.
__________________
"I've been working here for 44 years. Ain't nobody ever ordered nothing but a T-Bone steak and baked potato. Except one time, this @sshole from New York ordered a trout, back in 1987. We ain't got no g**d*mned trout".,
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 07-25-2013, 07:40 AM
snuffer
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimp View Post
Store bought tomatoes are terrible.
i dont buy them, and i dont eat them.

i get a lot from my buddy , jimbo...he plants a huge couple gardens, keeps something going year round. i just dont have good sun here, on the creekbank. its real shady here, but its nice for summertime. i just go down and help jim with his garden a couple times a week...and i get all the veggies i want. so much, that i wind up giving a lot away. i keep telling myself that i should learn how to can stuff. my grandparents canned all kinds of things, and always had a huge store of canned jars in the root cellar.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 07-25-2013, 08:32 AM
JamesG's Avatar
JamesG JamesG is offline
The ****in Slipknot \m/
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 34,613
Default

i'd love a good mater & bacon sammich right now
__________________
Wallow in the winter of it,Discover what you truly covet,Underneath and far above it,You slither in all kinds of Shit
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 07-25-2013, 08:52 AM
Gimp Gimp is offline
Pintail is my best good chum
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Da projects
Posts: 40,781
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG View Post
i'd love a good mater & bacon sammich right now


Or a mater, vidalia onion and cheese sammich with dukes mayo and salt and pepper.
__________________
"I've been working here for 44 years. Ain't nobody ever ordered nothing but a T-Bone steak and baked potato. Except one time, this @sshole from New York ordered a trout, back in 1987. We ain't got no g**d*mned trout".,
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 07-25-2013, 09:13 AM
JamesG's Avatar
JamesG JamesG is offline
The ****in Slipknot \m/
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 34,613
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimp View Post


Or a mater, vidalia onion and cheese sammich with dukes mayo and salt and pepper.
Hell yes!
__________________
Wallow in the winter of it,Discover what you truly covet,Underneath and far above it,You slither in all kinds of Shit
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.