The Outdoors Place  
THE PLACE Chat Room

Go Back   The Outdoors Place > Outdoors > Gardening
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2013, 03:23 PM
THE PLACE Member

Default When to plant garden?

I'm going to be doing my own garden this year for the first time ever (usually have one at dad's but it's been awhile since I've been home regularly during the spring). Not really sure when to plant and what needs to be done before hand. There's already an established garden plot at my house that's fenced in. What should I do to get the plot ready?

Also when should I look at planting? Thinking of doing tomatoes, peppers, okra, and cucumbers. May try to do some beans, peas, corn, and potatoes too. Garden area isn't huge, maybe about 20yds by 10 yds or so. Suggestions and tips are appreciated too.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:53 PM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssramage View Post
I'm going to be doing my own garden this year for the first time ever (usually have one at dad's but it's been awhile since I've been home regularly during the spring). Not really sure when to plant and what needs to be done before hand. There's already an established garden plot at my house that's fenced in. What should I do to get the plot ready?

Also when should I look at planting? Thinking of doing tomatoes, peppers, okra, and cucumbers. May try to do some beans, peas, corn, and potatoes too. Garden area isn't huge, maybe about 20yds by 10 yds or so. Suggestions and tips are appreciated too.
I would probably wait until after turkey season to plant most of that, you could make some mounds and plant irish potatoes and onions now. You should probably take a soil sample and see if it needs lime since it's been there. If you want any brocoli, asperagus and such, now is the time for that also.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:35 PM
THE PLACE Member

http://www.thevegetablegarden.info/r...nting-schedule

Your taters will definitely be first on the list of stuff you mentioned. I put out a whole bed of lettuce yesterday. I won't do my potatoes around here for another couple weeks. I've got onions to set out but they aren't going in a bed so I have to wait for the ground to dry out some.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:45 PM
SOM-BITCH

I am itching to start some tomatoes and peppers inside under some grow lamps(not compliments of Walker), but going to start those around the 20th, tilled everything about 2 weeks ago, got black tarps over all the ground, just need a little sun to heat it up and kill all the weed seeds!
Old 02-08-2013, 08:06 PM
Ask our guide

Till it up and plant the seeds along with the maters and peppers mid March . Omit the corn, takes up too much space in that size garden. Any morning or evening shade?
Old 02-08-2013, 09:29 PM
Aquaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Paws View Post
I am itching to start some tomatoes and peppers inside under some grow lamps(not compliments of Walker), but going to start those around the 20th, tilled everything about 2 weeks ago, got black tarps over all the ground, just need a little sun to heat it up and kill all the weed seeds!
That's a good idea about now. Plan on tilling up a plot at the new place this week. Probably just call Duck Fool for what all I need to do.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:11 PM
Shady Acres Farm & kennel

onions and taters on Feb 14th
I guess I need to learn not to be so blunt, honest, and to the point. Some people would rather me animate prevications so I may inspire ones distorted fantasy of what their preception of reality really is, per say.

Shmelton
Old 02-09-2013, 07:32 PM
Boomer Sooner

Spinach and lettuce are cool weather veggies. You can plant 2 rows of them now. Have them in about 45-55 days. Middle part of March you can start the others then.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:46 PM
Aquaholic

Seeded 80 plants this weekend. They should be ready to go into the garden in about 4 weeks, so I figure.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:09 PM
Boomer Sooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
Seeded 80 plants this weekend. They should be ready to go into the garden in about 4 weeks, so I figure.
What did you plant Paul ? This rain will give them a good jump start.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:01 PM
Aquaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlsooner View Post
What did you plant Paul ? This rain will give them a good jump start.

I have them germinating in an indoor grow house type set up.

Roma, yellow, cherry, and beefeater tomato's.
Green peppers
Red peppers
Raddish
green onion
Cucumber
canalop
okra
zucinni
squash
Old 02-11-2013, 08:46 PM
Boomer Sooner

Quote:
I have them germinating in an indoor grow house type set up.

Roma, yellow, cherry, and beefeater tomato's.
Green peppers
Red peppers
Raddish
green onion
Cucumber
canalop
okra
zucinni
squash

got ya ! If you get overrun with those cherry tomatoes, take a bunch of 'em, halve them, put on a cookie sheet, put some oregano, thyme and sweet basil on 'em, then put them on the dash board of your truck, car and leave them for about a day and a half or two days in the hot sun or direct sun, and you got some great sun dried tomatoes.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:10 AM
Aquaholic

irony= I don't eat tomato's. LOL! Wife and my bodd love them so I plant a ton every year.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:38 AM
THE PLACE Dumbazz

Quote:
irony= I don't eat tomato's. LOL! Wife and my bodd love them so I plant a ton every year.
I just go to a produce farmer and get what I want free. So much easier
Damn....Phil will endorse anything. What next....Duck Commander Condoms? Magnum sized in Max-4 camo for when you want to boom boom boom with your Suzy without worrying about her raising a brood....Matt

Last edited by Duck Fool : 02-12-2013 at 10:44 AM.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:38 AM
THE PLACE Member

after easter steven.