The Outdoors Place  
THE PLACE Chat Room

Go Back   The Outdoors Place > Hunting > Turkey Challenge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2013, 10:51 PM
THE PLACE Member

ryan i will let you shoot one with a hevi shot on our gimp turkey hunt.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:43 AM
snuffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator View Post
sold!
Old 02-08-2013, 07:45 AM
The ****in Slipknot \m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator View Post
Give him one for Sunday too
Old 02-08-2013, 08:54 AM
Super Moderator Supervisor

Still have a few of the Extended Range shells left. Enough for a limit of birds if I get lucky.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:36 PM
snuffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckyT View Post
Still have a few of the Extended Range shells left. Enough for a limit of birds if I get lucky.
you ned to start hoppin state lines, so you can burn more shells

i generally run through 12 to 15 every spring. i shoot coyotes, foxes, bobcats, and other scoundrels that come to turkey calls. also, once every ten yrs or so, i kill a bird.

seriously...i dont worry about cost of ammo. i just want the best shell in the chamber that i could be shooting. i dont drive hundreds of miles, walk bunches of miles, get up in the middle of the night, miss time at work and with family...to not be shooting the best killing load possible. thats why i dont screw around with bows in the turkey woods anymore, too

you hunt with the bow, and try and try. and finally one day, it happens...and you make a good shot on a fine gobbler. and the sumbitch runs off with your arrow, never to be seen again. screw that. i am glad i killed some with a bow, but i'm done with it. hevi shot it is, for me...until they come up with something better.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:11 PM

I need too! I also need more time in my life to hunt! Lol!
Old 02-08-2013, 07:04 PM
snuffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckyT View Post
I need too! I also need more time in my life to hunt! Lol!
i do know that feeling
Old 02-13-2013, 11:52 PM
THE PLACE Member

its worth it, You can shoot a more open choke, and heck lets be honest. I spend over a hundred bucks a week on fuel durin the season. I aint worried about $24/box shells.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaker View Post
its worth it, You can shoot a more open choke, and heck lets be honest. I spend over a hundred bucks a week on fuel durin the season. I aint worried about $24/box shells.
No kidding... Adding up the cost to actually go hunting, and then look at technically one of the most important tools of the hunt, $25+ a box of shells isn't a big deal!
Old 02-14-2013, 09:20 AM
Wall Flower

No doubt, it has gotten expensive to go hunting. Especially if you hunt 150 miles from home as I do............and probably many of you too. I started to go back and purchase that box of Heavy 13 @ $29.99 after my original post until I realized one thing. That comes to $150.00 for a box of 25. I realize that I am a good bit older than some of you. I remember when a box of dove loads was less than $2.00 and the best high brass shells you could buy was less than $4.00. $150.00 is my line in the sand. I'll throw rocks at them.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:23 AM
Pintail is my best good chum

Gas and food is mandatory for hunting. 6.00 a piece shells, not so much.

Especially when 1.20 shells kill them just as dead.

As many reasons as someone can find to justify paying 6.00 a piece for a shotgun shell, I can find as many reasons not to.

JMO.
"I've been working here for 44 years. Ain't nobody ever ordered nothing but a T-Bone steak and baked potato. Except one time, this @sshole from New York ordered a trout, back in 1987. We ain't got no g**d*mned trout".,
Old 02-14-2013, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
No doubt, it has gotten expensive to go hunting. Especially if you hunt 150 miles from home as I do............and probably many of you too. I started to go back and purchase that box of Heavy 13 @ $29.99 after my original post until I realized one thing. That comes to $150.00 for a box of 25. I realize that I am a good bit older than some of you. I remember when a box of dove loads was less than $2.00 and the best high brass shells you could buy was less than $4.00. $150.00 is my line in the sand. I'll throw rocks at them.
I remember buying boxes of dove loads for my 20ga when I was a kid for around $5 a box. And they were heavy loads.

34yrs old soon to be 35yrs old and I've seen quite a bit of changes price wise during my time in the woods.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:25 AM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryano View Post
Gas and food is mandatory for hunting. 6.00 a piece shells, not so much.

Especially when 1.20 shells kill them just as dead.

As many reasons as someone can find to justify paying 6.00 a piece for a shotgun shell, I can find as many reasons not to.

JMO.
20 gauge shells are cheaper. I get them for about $3.50-4 per shell. Not enough savings not to use them.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:26 AM

girls gun
"I've been working here for 44 years. Ain't nobody ever ordered nothing but a T-Bone steak and baked potato. Except one time, this @sshole from New York ordered a trout, back in 1987. We ain't got no g**d*mned trout".,
Old 02-14-2013, 09:29 AM

in all honesty, before someone gets pissed off.........Im just kiddin. I won a ham at a turkey/ham shoot using a 20 ga. 1187 and fell in love with it..........I wish I had one.

It would have cost me 12.00 using the high dollar stuff over the last 6 years to kill the turkeys Ive kilt.

Ive got enough Winchester Supremes to last a lifetime at this rate though. No need to buy anything else

Last edited by Gimp : 02-14-2013 at 09:42 AM.