The Outdoors Place  
THE PLACE Chat Room

Go Back   The Outdoors Place > Hunting > Turkey Challenge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2013, 07:36 PM
Wall Flower

Default Shell shock

Looks like I will shooting Winchester Supremes this year. They have worked just fine in the past. Thirty dollars for a box of five for heavy shot...........well, I guess I am just a cheap skate. I'll leave those for you high rollers.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:53 PM
snuffer

worth every penny.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:45 PM
THE PLACE Member

If you kill your limit every year it still gets you almost 2 years unless you shoot like Etter. Thats not bad.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:45 PM
Go dawgs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
Looks like I will shooting Winchester Supremes this year. They have worked just fine in the past. Thirty dollars for a box of five for heavy shot...........well, I guess I am just a cheap skate. I'll leave those for you high rollers.
Why are you fussing about the price of shells? You haven't had to buy any in at least 5 seasons.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:54 PM
Pintail is my best good chum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arra View Post
Why are you fussing about the price of shells? You haven't had to buy any in at least 5 seasons.
neither have I but there is NO WAY in Hell Im paying $6.00 for a shell when a $1.20 shell kills them just as dead.

I figure the way I kill turkeys, Ive got enough Winchester Supremes to last me oh say, about 20 years or longer
"I've been working here for 44 years. Ain't nobody ever ordered nothing but a T-Bone steak and baked potato. Except one time, this @sshole from New York ordered a trout, back in 1987. We ain't got no g**d*mned trout".,
Old 02-07-2013, 06:02 PM
THE PLACE Member

i use low brass dove shot for my jakes
Old 02-07-2013, 06:04 PM
Wall Flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arra View Post
It's been longer than that since I've bought any shells but no matter. If you ever see me pay $6.00 for a shotgun shell, call the men in white coats.

BTW. Heavyshot has a $10 rebate per box. Two box max. I guess they know what their stuff is worth.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:07 PM
Go dawgs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
It's been longer than that since I've bought any shells but no matter. If you ever see me pay $6.00 for a shotgun shell, call the men in white coats.

BTW. Heavyshot has a $10 rebate per box. Two box max. I guess they know what their stuff is worth.
Its good stuff man. Id be shooting it if I was still hunting with a 12 gauge. Those 3 inch 2 ounce 6s are some awesome shells.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:11 PM
THE PLACE Member

Shells are usually the cheapest part of my hunt and I shoot the "expensive" ones.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:20 PM
Wall Flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssramage View Post
Shells are usually the cheapest part of my hunt and I shoot the "expensive" ones.
Shoot what you want. I've just seen to much stuff come and go. The latest and the greatest always has a big price tag. I don't have any doubt that it patterns better. Probably has better range.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:38 PM
I'd rather be hunting

Yes
Old 02-07-2013, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssramage View Post
Your turkeys any deader than those killed with the "cheap" stuff?

I'm not gonna argue. I've got like 2 boxes of Winchesters. That's a lifetime of killing for me and I will probably got to the grave with a box and a half at the rate in going Maybe even two lol
"I've been working here for 44 years. Ain't nobody ever ordered nothing but a T-Bone steak and baked potato. Except one time, this @sshole from New York ordered a trout, back in 1987. We ain't got no g**d*mned trout".,
Old 02-07-2013, 07:53 PM

In all honesty, 18.00 a year for shells is chump change. Just need 3 right?

I just don't feel like burning through a coupe hundred dollars trying to find another choke/shell combo my gun likes

Last edited by Gimp : 02-07-2013 at 07:55 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:02 PM
snuffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryano View Post
In all honesty, 18.00 a year for shells is chump change. Just need 3 right?

I just don't feel like burning through a coupe hundred dollars trying to find another choke/shell combo my gun likes
you aint got to do anything, but screw in a full choke, and shoot a mag blend or nitro blend. get a 5 pack, stick one hevi in the chamber, and back it with some lead shells. its a good invesment, if you ever misjudge any yardage. it may not kill em 'deader', but it knocks em down harder. and it penetrates more. the advantage is the fact you can scale down shot size, and put more shot in the pattern. hevi 7's equal a lead 5.

i look at it this way...i'm burning 3.45 a gallon gas. fuel is going to cast way more than shells at seasons end.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:04 PM
The ****in Slipknot \m/

I'm staying with the Supremes as well