The Outdoors Place  
THE PLACE Chat Room

Go Back   The Outdoors Place > Hunting > Small Game and Feathers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2012, 04:06 PM
I approve this message!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickdraw View Post
Dove club 5 mins from my house but high dollar. They shoot every Sat of the season but its like 800 a year. Price inclused dove and geese shooting
That'd buy a arse load of steaks and charcoal.

I'll see what I can find out for ya tomorrow, Steven. Use to be really reasonable but it's been a couple years.

Nick T
737 since 2008 season
Bear Creek Tack Co. Pro Staff
Old 05-16-2012, 04:07 PM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy View Post
Thanks for the invite Gonna try to plant some at my folk's place also.
we've all heard all this before....
Old 05-16-2012, 04:08 PM
Dammit Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator View Post
we've all heard all this before....

No hell you haven't

Oh and Steven...You will find that Barnesville has got to be the driest effing county in GA after you plant for doves.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:08 AM
Beer technician

Don't put that dog on doves until you have him fetching ducks for a season. He will eat every damn bird he picks up. Trainers tell you not to do this!
Old 05-17-2012, 07:26 AM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmelton View Post
Don't put that dog on doves until you have him fetching ducks for a season. He will eat every damn bird he picks up. Trainers tell you not to do this!
Really? Never heard that before. Heck I could throw a day's worth of ducks out of a winger and she'd pick up more than I'll kill in a season probably.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:40 AM
Beer technician

Like Gator said those feathers are thin, and when they can taste meat they will swallow them when they don't know better. I mean swallow them whole, not chew on em. Ducks have much thicker feathers and they cant taste the meat on them. But, once they figure out their job you wont have a problem.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:48 AM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Like Gator said those feathers are thin, and when they can taste meat they will swallow them when they don't know better. I mean swallow them whole, not chew on em. Ducks have much thicker feathers and they cant taste the meat on them. But, once they figure out their job you wont have a problem.
Gotcha. That makes sense.

I didn't really expect much out of her this year, but I was thinking I would take her hunting as much as possible to get her used to hunting, sitting still, being quiet, etc.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:55 AM
THE PLACE Member

steven...

take her hunting if you want. my suggestion and i think that the trainers on here (dakota, mr donald, heath) would suggest you probably NOT carry a gun very much if you take her.

i took drake 3 times last year. 1 time with jb and i didn't pick up a gun. 1 time by myself and i tied his butt to a tree and sat next to him.

1 time with farr and i didn't pick up a gun.

most definitely you need to give her your attention.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:59 AM
Pintail is my best good chum

I thought thats why you start em out retrieving pidgeons while they are young, to get them use to it and teach them not to chomp down on the bird.

I havent read yet not to take a young dog on a dove field but I will certainly take you guys word for it

I love to watch Allie swim and retrieve but Im gonna have a lot more opportunities to hunt dove than I will ducks Im thinking if for no other reason than the accessiblity issues.

Im perfectly ok with waiting to 2013 though if thats what everyone recommends.
"I've been working here for 44 years. Ain't nobody ever ordered nothing but a T-Bone steak and baked potato. Except one time, this @sshole from New York ordered a trout, back in 1987. We ain't got no g**d*mned trout".,
Old 05-17-2012, 08:01 AM

Quote:
steven...

take her hunting if you want. my suggestion and i think that the trainers on here (dakota, mr donald, heath) would suggest you probably NOT carry a gun very much if you take her.

i took drake 3 times last year. 1 time with jb and i didn't pick up a gun. 1 time by myself and i tied his butt to a tree and sat next to him.

I would have no problem with that.............I just want to expose her to the environment of hunting.
"I've been working here for 44 years. Ain't nobody ever ordered nothing but a T-Bone steak and baked potato. Except one time, this @sshole from New York ordered a trout, back in 1987. We ain't got no g**d*mned trout".,
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryano View Post
I thought thats why you start em out retrieving pidgeons while they are young, to get them use to it and teach them not to chomp down on the bird.

I havent read yet not to take a young dog on a dove field but I will certainly take you guys word for it

I love to watch Allie swim and retrieve but Im gonna have a lot more opportunities to hunt dove than I will ducks Im thinking if for no other reason than the accessiblity issues.

Im perfectly ok with waiting to 2013 though if thats what everyone recommends.
your dog will be force fetched, somewhat steady to shot and in a little different position.

like all dogs and all people that train dogs will tell you- they're all individuals and you just gotta see how they are doing.
Beer technician

I'm just speaking from experience with my lab, and from what his trainer was saying the problem was. I was told to keep mine off of the dove field until he got a duck season under his belt. I am by means no expert, and didn't mean to come across like one.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:03 AM

Quote:
I am by means no expert, and didn't mean to come across like one.
No man! Stuff like that is what we newbies NEED to hear! I dont think you were coming off like that at all!
Old 05-17-2012, 08:04 AM
Beer technician

Quote:
your dog will be force fetched, somewhat steady to shot and in a little different position.

like all dogs and all people that train dogs will tell you- they're all individuals and you just gotta see how they are doing.
Mack was both of those, but that was all.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:04 AM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
steven...

What is the reasoning behind this? Is it fine to duck hunt with them and take a gun or are you just talking dove field shoots?

I'm just thinking that most of the time I'll be hunting by myself more than likely so I never thought about not taking a gun. Not even sure she'll be ready this year, but I'm hoping that she will be.