The Outdoors Place  
THE PLACE Chat Room

Go Back   The Outdoors Place > Hunting > The Duck Blind
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2016, 09:35 PM
THE PLACE Member

Default Leezard

Gators go in the duck forum right?

Got to see and eat supper with Joel, Clent, and the Luckie brothers Friday night at big Jims. We all then headed out in three separate groups in search of gators. We launched at sunset Friday and the high winds and full moon had the gators in hiding. We hunted til about 11 and called it a night. We woke Saturday morning at 6 and hit the water again. We covered a lot of water and saw 2 gators total, one small, one decent and skittish. About 10:30 we entered a backwater stumpfield and glassed it. About 150 yards out we saw a lump in the grass that wasn't a stump but he had grass on his head so it was hard to judge size. As we approached he submerged but fortunately blew air as he left the grass mat leaving a nice trail of bubbles. I pulled the boat up to where the bubbles stopped and got the pushpole extended to get in positio to try a Hail Mary attempt with the handling and large treble. Beau threw the handline a few times but I knew we weren't in the right spot. He then gave the line to his brother and I pointed to where I last saw the bubbles. He threw the hook just passed that and slowly pulled it back towards the boat. On about the third pull he leaned forward and hauled back to set the line. I couldn't believe it when the line started going out because hey, that shit never works! The bouy flew out of the boat and back towards a thick grass May and stopped. I figured he had pulled out when the bouy went slack but when we picked up the bouy it took off again! This time the bouy got drug under the grass may out of site because the grass was too thick for it to reach the surface. We went to where the bouy disappeared and started taking push poles and spud poles down into the grass to look for the line. We found it after about 10 minutes and trailed it back to the bouy, pulling mud and grass off the line and bouy. We then gently pulled on the business end of the line and determined that the gator was still there, but at this time we really had no idea how big it was. I judged it to be over 8ft based on the way it tore the line out of zacs hand when he snagged it. There wasn't much action on the line so we kept gently pulling the line to try to surface the gator. The grass was so thick so we used a push pole to feel for him so he wouldn't surprise us through the grass while hand lining him. He was hooked towards the front so he came up mouth first. All we could see was grass and teeth so it was still hard to see how big he was. However when I could see the back of his mouth I knew he was well over 9 foot so we decided to make we him around for the harpoon to get a spare line in him. After pulling the 50ft line and bouy through the grass and mud he really didn't have any fight left. I bet there was a couple thousand pounds of crap on that line he was trying to pull for 20 minutes. I put the snare around his snout and we were able to maneuver him into position for a good kill shot and he went limp. We taped his mouth to be safe and pulled all the grass off him and started to work on getting him into the boat. Once we got him in we knew we made a good choice because we knew he was over 10 ft. Also made a good choice to get the spare line in because the treble hook immediately fell off when we put slack in the line. With all the weight in the boat we idled the 3 miles back to the landing to get the gator on ice and take some pictures. It was lunch at the restaurant so we drew quite a crowd including a DNR ranger. The boys took him home and skinned him. Zack will mount the head and tan the hide himself. The gator measured out at 10'4", a trophy in anybody's book.
Joel spent the morning working on his motor with no luck so after a break I took him and his buddy Jake out that evening and Sunday morning. We saw a couple of decent gators Saturday night and one monster Sunday morning but we couldn't hook up with anything. This weekend was probably the least activity I've seen while hunting these things so I felt lucky to have a few opportunities and snag a double digit gator. Here's a few pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image-3462853548.jpg (44.9 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg image-1130534371.jpg (176.3 KB, 91 views)
Old 08-22-2016, 09:43 PM
Dammit Bobby

Hell of a lizard DocWhite
Old 08-22-2016, 09:51 PM
THE PLACE Member

That sounds like a lot of fun! Nice one
Old 08-23-2016, 07:07 AM
Super Moderator Supervisor

The Doc always has a big lizard to show us come gator season.

Another nice one!!
Old 08-23-2016, 01:05 PM
HNIC

Nice lizard!

Red
Old 08-23-2016, 01:39 PM
THE PLACE Member

Congrats!
Old 08-23-2016, 06:26 PM
THE PLACE Member

Good work!
Old 08-23-2016, 09:48 PM
I'd rather be hunting

Awesome!
Old 08-24-2016, 11:58 AM
THE PLACE Member

Very nice!
Old 08-24-2016, 12:30 PM
THE PLACE Member

Awesome!
Old 08-24-2016, 04:06 PM
THE PLACE Member

Nice work Dr Rev, Commander Clent and Joel! That is a big leezard for sure.
Old 09-05-2016, 10:24 AM
THE PLACE Member

I want to do that one day!
Old 09-06-2016, 10:05 AM
THE PLACE Member

Cool.. Congrats

"Money buys bucks and tits" jb
You can't spell SPOILED without OIL