The Outdoors Place  
THE PLACE Chat Room

Go Back   The Outdoors Place > Hunting > Hunters Journal
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2008, 11:41 PM
Antler Addict

Default GT's Journal

I QUIT!!! Thinking of selling my chit. Will try again tomorrow. But still thinkin of selling my chit! What a waste of time chasin these damn goats. Feels good out though.
Old 09-21-2008, 09:28 PM
Antler Addict

Sept. 13th Opening Morning
Hunted RR tracks, saw 4 does, drew back on one but couldn't get clear shot.

Afternoon
Hunted swamp loc-on, didn't see a thing.
Old 09-21-2008, 09:29 PM
Antler Addict

Sept 14th
Morning, went back to RR tracks, saw nothing, had a deer blow at me while climbing the tree. Oh well, musta been there when I started up.
Old 09-21-2008, 09:33 PM
Antler Addict

Sept. 17 morning
Hunted loc on on ridge. Ran into big hog going to stand. No deer seen all morning. Got down and ran into another boar hog on the way out. Put a few 45 slugs in his ass but lost the blood trail when it got too thick.

Sept. 18. Morning,
Found Persimmon tree dropping, sat on it in the AM. Had little 8 pt walk right under the tree. 3 feet ffrom my tree, right at daylight. Only deer I saw.
Old 09-21-2008, 09:38 PM
Antler Addict

Sept. 19 Afternoon
Hunted Gunslinger off foodplot on ridge. Tons of trails crossing in front of me. Saw 4 does about 7:00 but they crossed on another trail to get across the fourwheeler trail. 5 minutes later saw another black and white and orange pig. Went down same trail as the does. Trail crossed opening at 68 yards. At 7:30 had a beautiful shooter 8 pt come down the fourwheeler trail, turned and went into the woods about 75 yards away. A new stand is in place now on that crossing!!!!

Buddy Matt hunted persimmon tree in swamp. Saw nothing.
Old 09-21-2008, 09:41 PM
Antler Addict

Sept. 19th Morning Hunt
Hunted Buckshot between drainages in hardwood bottom. Wind picked up pretty good, probably between 15-20 mph some times. saw nothing.

Buddy matt hunted presimmon tree again, Nothing.

Mornings are starting to suck!!! Obvious. Moon is getting right though, Lots of pics on trail cameras of bucs and does, getting closer to daylight. Between 4-6 they are feeding pretty good across the board on all cameras. We'll see.
Old 09-21-2008, 09:46 PM
Antler Addict

Sept 19th, Afternoon hunt.
Still a little windy, not dying down. Hunted new stand on trails crossing fourwheeler trail where deer from night before were crossing. Saw no deer but saw big black boar about 100 yards out. Crossed and went behind me through the thick stuff. This spot is nothing but trails, no food, just a spot for them to move throuhg. It will pay off!! I know it. Too many tracks and trail am pics not to.

Matt hunted my loc-on on the ridge, had a doe wind him from behind coming from where he walkd in. Saw nothing though. Still a few muscudines on the trees around this stand.

Mid week should be right for the morning hunts to start paying off, just not getting enough opportunity to hunt the evenings. Getting frustrating not being able to get a deer in front of the bow with all this great weather. Just a matter of time though.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:39 PM
Antler Addict

September 23 Morning
Hunted the end of the old foodplot again, right on top of the fourwheeler trail. I had a doe slip up behind me about 8:30. Never heard her coming. Looked over my shoulder and she was standing there at my 19 yard tree I ranged. No idea how she got there without making a sound. I got stood up and turned on her when she went to cross the trail, and came to full draw, when she stepped out the other side of the tree, she made a 90 deg. right turn and walked dead away from me until she was back in the brush. Thats now 3 times I have been at full draw since season opened and no release yet.

BUT, about an hour and half later, I hear movement coming from where she went into the trees, and see something moving my way, i go ahead and stand up, thinking its her coming back, when i get turned back around from grabbing my bow, I see its that damn black and brown boar I have MANY pics and videos of, he walks the same trail she did, crosses the road and comes right to the base of the tree where I spotted the doe, I was already at full draw, bleated at him, and pummeled his nasty azz. Stoned him in his tracks. Thats now 3 pigs I have seen in the last 3 days of hunting, and 5 since season opened. This feller won't be through there no more though.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:29 PM
Antler Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by boinky View Post
Watcha got for sale? Bring it with you this weekend!
Hey, leave my chit alone. I was just venting this weekend. It all works good, I'll show you how good this weekend.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:35 PM
Super Moderator Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GThunter View Post
Hey, leave my chit alone. I was just venting this weekend. It all works good, I'll show you how good this weekend.

Oh no............................ You don't say crap like that down in Screven.... It will come and bite you in the arse!!!
Old 09-23-2008, 02:46 PM
Antler Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckyT View Post
Oh no............................ You don't say crap like that down in Screven.... It will come and bite you in the arse!!!
Hey, I didn't say i don't miss!!! I said I will show you it all works!!!
Old 09-25-2008, 01:06 PM
Antler Addict

Sept 25 Morning
Hunted the RR tracks again. Wind was prefect all morning out of the N-NNE. Saw one 4 pt about 7:45. Then nothing. He was feeding on a few left over muscudines beside me. Nothing after he got gone. By 9:00 wind had picked up pretty good, maybe 10 mph. Oh well, at least this stand is producing deer every sit so far.
Old 10-05-2008, 07:37 PM
Antler Addict

Sept. 30 Am
Hunted Loc on on the ridge.
Saw one doe about 8:00 came off my left shoulder and fed on muscudines, she stayed about 60 yards away and then went back the way she came.
Saw a little buck, unidentified, on my right side at 25 yards feeding in the thick stuff about 10:30. He eased off back into the briars and i didn't see anything after that.

Got down around 11;30.
Old 10-05-2008, 07:41 PM
Antler Addict

October 3 AM
Carried Summit in to the edge of swamp where white oaks were dropping. Busted 3-5 deer when i entered the bottom. One doe stayed bedded as I walked past her. Didn't see anything on stand.

October 3 PM
Went back to Summit. was late getting in, at 4:20 or so while walking in, came face to face with P&Y 8 or 10 pt. He was feeding on the acorns. At 6:30 or so, I had a beautiful 13 in 8 pt with 6-7" tines come across swamp to feed on white oaks. He stayed for 50 minutes. Only deer I saw from the stand.
Old 10-05-2008, 07:45 PM
Antler Addict

October 4th AM
Went back to Summit. Got to stand before 6:00. Didn't bust any deer out going in. About 7:20 I heard something jump the creek behind me and start feeding on muscudines still hanging. It was a nice doe and she fed right under my tree and I smoked her at 12 yards feeding on white oaks. Only deer I saw.

October 4th PM.
In the stand by 3:00. Had the same 8 pt from evening before come in to the white oaks and feed for over 2 1/2 hours. He was fun to watch but it got old having a deer that close for that long. He was anywhere from 3 ft from the base of my tree to 20 yards away until he finally left. I was relieved when he left.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0005.jpg (64.7 KB, 38 views)

Last edited by GThunter : 10-05-2008 at 07:48 PM.