Go Back   The Outdoors Place > General > Political Debate and Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2008, 03:30 PM
Pintail is my best good chum

Exclamation Senate breaks stimulus stalemate

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080207/...onomy_stimulus

By ANDREW TAYLOR and JULIE HIRSCHFELD DAVIS, Associated Press Writers
1 minute ago

WASHINGTON - Senate Republicans and Democrats agreed Thursdsay to add rebates for 20 million seniors and 250,000 disabled veterans to a House-passed economic aid package, ending a partisan stalemate over the plan.

ADVERTISEMENT

The key breakthrough came when Democrats, under pressure from party colleagues in the House, agreed to drop their insistence on adding jobless benefits, heating aid for the poor and business subsidies, and said they would allow a vote on a plan that merely extends the tax rebates to Social Security retirees and disabled veterans.

The package would rush tax rebates of $600 for individuals and $1,200 for couples to most taxpayers and grant businesses tax cuts in hopes of reviving the economy. Individuals earning up to $75,000 a year and couples earning up to $150,000 would get rebates. People who paid no income taxes but earned at least $3,000 a year would get a $300 rebate.

"We're on the verge here of an important bipartisan accomplishment," said Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky.

Senate Democrats had insisted on adding 13 weeks of added jobless benefits, home heating subsidies, and new tax refunds for coal producers and struggling corporations. Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., vowed future votes on some of those elements.

"We all have to acknowledge that the House bill has been improved significantly.... We'll be back and do more things to help stimulate the economy," Reid said.

A Senate vote on the measure was slated for later Thursday and the House is expected to send the bill to President Bush for his signature by the end of the week.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:08 PM
I'd rather be hunting

Just another loan that increases the deficit
Old 02-07-2008, 04:23 PM
pointer1

bunch o fuggin idiotas.....
Old 02-07-2008, 04:26 PM
Pintail is my best good chum

yep its a joke, if they want to stimulate the economy, drop the price of gas about 2 bucks a gallon

that said, if they want to give out checks, I will take it. That comes about the same time my cruise does and I will most likely use it for duty free shopping in another country.

so much for me stimulating the economy