The Outdoors Place  
THE PLACE Chat Room

Go Back   The Outdoors Place > Hunting > Everything Turkey
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2010, 09:48 PM
The other side

Default Almost......

Started out the morning calling in 2 separate hens....moved to another property at 10:30 and found 3 more hens feeding in a freshly cut field making all kinds of racket but no Gobblers.

Came out at 1:00 and ate some lunch and rode over to my cousIns place with the boys and Michelle . On the way back we had to pass one of our properties with a freshly cut Bermuda field and standing right off the paved on our property was a full red headed Tom. It was 2:40. I rushed back to camp and got dressed and was back at the field by 2:55. Long story a little shorter....I played with this bird until 6:15 and sweated my tail off in the process. He would start coming and the turn around...he did this 5 times but the closest he got was 83 yards(I had my range finder this time ).

Thanks Again to everyone who helped me out this season(Blaine,James and Will). I had a great time and learned a lot. I had my opportunities but failed to execute....I'm confident now that I will make it happen next season.

Sorry I didn't make it down to TTHC but after fooling with that bird I was DONE for the day. Maybe I can get down another time.

Bruz
Old 05-15-2010, 09:51 PM
Super Moderator Supervisor

I'd say you had a great season Bruz! Even though no birds hit the dirt. Sure you'll drop one next season.
Old 05-15-2010, 10:15 PM
The other side

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckyT View Post
I'd say you had a great season Bruz! Even though no birds hit the dirt. Sure you'll drop one next season.
I had an awesome season as far as enjoyment goes...which is all that really matters.

Bruz
Old 05-15-2010, 10:24 PM
The other side

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator View Post
thats an awesome battle there robert! 230-615! those are fun hunts and some of the toughest birds to kill in a field like that. Im just glad you've really enjoyed your season man. Congrats on a fun time in the turkey woods this year.
Man I thought it was fate.....seeing that bird on the last day of the season in the middle of the afternoon and on a wide open field..but it never happened. I will admit at one point in the 95 degree heat running through the woods from one end of the field to the other I was wishing I was in better shape....I wll be before next season.

Thanks for all you did this season and I hope we get to chase them some next year.cheers.gif

Bruz
Old 05-16-2010, 08:37 AM
The other side

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator View Post
bruz.......yeah being in good shape will make it a lot more enjoyable thats for sure. You did good though. The sign that you're in turkey killin shape is to hunt the mountains...and get into a long hike up a mountain to set up on a bird and be able to sit down and instantly begin working a mouth call. that'll tell you real quick how good of shape you're in.
Just toting a climber around up there wears me out quick. I may have to try my families place in Gordon County next year though.
Old 05-16-2010, 08:41 AM
THE PLACE Member

I bet you get a couple next year! You had a great rookie season
Old 05-16-2010, 02:49 PM
Antler Addict

YOu had a heck of a rookie year Robert. I wish we coulda heard some birds when I was there to try and give it a little more excitement. But thats hunting. Sounds like you definitely got your hands on some turkey grounds and I am sure it won't take too long for you to bust that first one. And by the way, that field bird you were trying to kill, they can and usually are the toughest birds to get. sounds like he was just there to give you the final farewell on the season!!
Old 05-16-2010, 04:19 PM
The ****in Slipknot \m/

Yeap. You had a pretty good season Bruz. Only a matter of time now.
Old 05-16-2010, 06:52 PM
The other side

Quote:
Originally Posted by GThunter View Post
YOu had a heck of a rookie year Robert. I wish we coulda heard some birds when I was there to try and give it a little more excitement. But thats hunting. Sounds like you definitely got your hands on some turkey grounds and I am sure it won't take too long for you to bust that first one. And by the way, that field bird you were trying to kill, they can and usually are the toughest birds to get. sounds like he was just there to give you the final farewell on the season!!
Thanks Will .....I wish we had better luck that day. Guess where he was this morning at 7:15 as I was heading to put out some stink bait for Hogs? Right next to the tree I was set up on last night.....

Robert