The Outdoors Place  
THE PLACE Chat Room

Go Back   The Outdoors Place > Hunting > Everything Turkey
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2008, 08:30 PM
Boomer Sooner

Default Almost...................

But no cigar. Walking to where I was going to set up at around 6:30 am. To the right at about 150 yrds is where the power line is located, as I'm walking I hear one gobble. I stop, he gobbles again, about 3 times. I decide I am going to set up at the edge of the power line and see if I can get him to fly down to me. As I get there, he is on the other side of the power line. I bumped him off the roost.

By this time daybreak has begun, and I have seen birds on the powerline several times, so I decided to go ahead and set up there and see if I can get one to come in. No dice, after sitting there for 45 mins. I go down about another 100 yrds. Nothing. So at around 10:00 I decided to go into town, grab a bite to eat, and head back out.

I get back out to where I know these birds are strutting after eating breakfast. I don't want to bump these birds, so I set up at about 25 yrds inside the hard woods right next to a cow pasture. I start hitting my box call, hoping to have a lonely gobbler come to me. After about 30 mins, to the left of me at about 9:00 I see a hen coming my direction slowly feeding. "Maybe she's pulling a gobbler with her". She starts going behind me about 60yrds. I don't move. Finally after about 10 mins, I SLOWLY turn my head to the left to see if I can get a look to where she went. Out of the corner of eye, at about 7:00 (I felt like the chick in the exorsist) I see 3 gobblers all in full strut with 6 other hens. I cannot move! If I do, I am busted. I stay that way for another 5-7 mins, my neck is killing me from stretching it, my eyes are killing me from straining to watch them. Again, with all those eyes there, if I move I am a goner. They finally begin to move away from me. I just was set up in the wrong direction, but I know what to do the next time.

It seems like I always learn a lesson each time I go out chasing these Turkeys, and man I love it.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:34 PM
THE PLACE Member

Good hunt and better days ahead
Old 03-22-2008, 08:35 PM
Go dawgs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlsooner View Post
But no cigar. Walking to where I was going to set up at around 6:30 am. To the right at about 150 yrds is where the power line is located, as I'm walking I hear one gobble. I stop, he gobbles again, about 3 times. I decide I am going to set up at the edge of the power line and see if I can get him to fly down to me. As I get there, he is on the other side of the power line. I bumped him off the roost.

By this time daybreak has begun, and I have seen birds on the powerline several times, so I decided to go ahead and set up there and see if I can get one to come in. No dice, after sitting there for 45 mins. I go down about another 100 yrds. Nothing. So at around 10:00 I decided to go into town, grab a bite to eat, and head back out.

I get back out to where I know these birds are strutting after eating breakfast. I don't want to bump these birds, so I set up at about 25 yrds inside the hard woods right next to a cow pasture. I start hitting my box call, hoping to have a lonely gobbler come to me. After about 30 mins, to the left of me at about 9:00 I see a hen coming my direction slowly feeding. "Maybe she's pulling a gobbler with her". She starts going behind me about 60yrds. I don't move. Finally after about 10 mins, I SLOWLY turn my head to the left to see if I can get a look to where she went. Out of the corner of eye, at about 7:00 (I felt like the chick in the exorsist) I see 3 gobblers all in full strut with 6 other hens. I cannot move! If I do, I am busted. I stay that way for another 5-7 mins, my neck is killing me from stretching it, my eyes are killing me from straining to watch them. Again, with all those eyes there, if I move I am a goner. They finally begin to move away from me. I just was set up in the wrong direction, but I know what to do the next time.

It seems like I always learn a lesson each time I go out chasing these Turkeys, and man I love it.
They will whip you more then you whip them...Sounds like a great morning!!
Old 03-22-2008, 08:36 PM
snuffer

glad you had a fun, safe hunt. if i had to pick the most important aspect of the hunt...it would definately be the intitial set-up. try to get in there a bit earlier, in the pitch dark. better to be an hour early than 5 minutes too late.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:47 PM
Boomer Sooner

Blaine you know exactly where this was. Last year, when we were chasing that tom all over the hill side, and the last place we got set up, same exact spot.
Old 03-22-2008, 09:15 PM
THE PLACE Member

Welcome to the club Dennis,I had to re-learn a few lessons out there this morning too. Hope you get the upper hand next time!
Old 03-22-2008, 10:49 PM
Dammit Bobby

Great morning Dennis....Set up facing hte other direction and then they will be where you were facing today.