The Outdoors Place  
THE PLACE Chat Room

Go Back   The Outdoors Place > Shooting > Archery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2015, 04:41 AM
Mean muggin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG View Post
I didn't care too much for the DRTs. Tried some Strickland Helix and kudupoints last season. Both flew extremely well and did major damage and quick kills. Going to stay with the kudupoints this year.
bwahahahahaha:lolhammer :
Old 08-20-2015, 07:45 AM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG View Post
I didn't care too much for the DRTs. Tried some Strickland Helix and kudupoints last season. Both flew extremely well and did major damage and quick kills. Going to stay with the kudupoints this year.
If I don't like them, I still have several Slick Tricks. Not sure even why I decided to try new ones, never had any issue with the STs, just decided to try something different
Old 08-20-2015, 09:31 AM
The ****in Slipknot \m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb View Post
bwahahahahaha:lolhammer :
Old 08-20-2015, 05:16 PM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixes View Post
I am trying out some new broadheads this year, the DRTs. I'll see how they shoot compared to my Slick Tricks.
Make sure to put some helical on your vanes for these heads. Especially if you are shooting the single bevil broadheads. I hear they don't shoot well with straight or slightly offset vanes
Old 08-26-2015, 06:45 PM
THE PLACE Member

Jamesg that Helix looks like a Simmons landshark killed lots of deer with it. Flys like a dart, only problem that I had when I hunted Fulton co. Years ago it would rust. Never had the problem up here. That bottom always had a fog til about 10:00, prolly sewer fog. Is the helix stainless?
I still got 3 of the sharks I might feed one this year.
Old 08-26-2015, 07:23 PM
Antler Addict

I have the land sharks this year...Etter talked me into them. They are badass heads. I am curious to see what they do to an animal.
Old 08-26-2015, 07:55 PM
THE PLACE Member

Only change I'm making is going from a 100 gr head to a 125. That's just to get my arrow to 400 grains
Old 08-26-2015, 08:09 PM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GThunter View Post
I have the land sharks this year...Etter talked me into them. They are badass heads. I am curious to see what they do to an animal.
I can tell you what they do to an animal that Etter shoots at. They'll skin a knee cap up pretty bad.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:34 PM
THE PLACE Member

Question: yall ever had any huge changes from shooting from the ground to them shooting from an elevated platform?

I was drilling at 40 yards this past Sunday on the ground. today from the deck hitting and even missing high on a 3d deer. I'm gonna shoot from the ground again tomorrow and see where it's at I guess. I would much rather be a little low at 40 than high, although I don't like shooting them that far.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:12 AM
Super Moderator Supervisor

You have to be more specific Reb. Are you shooting a single pin, multi pins ?

Also how high is your deck?? The target may be 30yds at a steep angle, but if you range a tree next to it at your eye level, you'll see it might be 26 or so yds. You would need to use your 25yd pin instead of your 30yd pin at the angled shot.

GT will get on here and give you a 2 page nerd explanation shortly. Lol!
Old 08-27-2015, 07:28 AM
The ****in Slipknot \m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckyT View Post
You have to be more specific Reb. Are you shooting a single pin, multi pins ?

Also how high is your deck?? The target may be 30yds at a steep angle, but if you range a tree next to it at your eye level, you'll see it might be 26 or so yds. You would need to use your 25yd pin instead of your 30yd pin at the angled shot.

GT will get on here and give you a 2 page nerd explanation shortly. Lol! Much like my 2 page stories of how neat nature is and how I missed a deer and shot a spike etc
Well, let's here it Willie
Old 08-27-2015, 07:57 AM
Antler Addict

I'd bet with a miss on a stationary target Reb's miss is from poor form bending to take the lower shot.

But if you are extremely high, and range to your target, say 30 yards...direct line. You will be shooting the wrong range. As trajectory is relative to horizontal distance from target. Not line of sight. Gravity affects an arrows rate of descent...not the speed the bow puts on it. A 400 gr arrow will fall to the ground in the same amount of time regardless if it is coming from a 250 fps bow or a 350 fps bow. This is why line of sight range is not a true range as far as trajectory and ballistics go. BUT...you would have to be pretty extreme in height to miss a stationary target.

Think about it...if a target was straight down under you, your range finder would read say 8 yards...but that animal is less than 5' away from your tree. Range would be 5'...not 24'

20 ft up a tree...ranging 30 yds is actually 29 yards. I doubt that is significant enough for you to miss a target.
30 ft up a tree...ranging 30 yards is closer to 28 yards...the steeper the angle the larger the difference from line of sight to actual range.
Factor a hill in with a pretty high deck or stand height...you need to range something eye level to get that true range.

Unless your platform is really high, I bet you have a form issue if you are missing the target.
Draw from your elevated platform shooting horizontal, get your draw then tilt forward at the waist holding form to shoot the target.

Last edited by GThunter : 08-27-2015 at 07:59 AM.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:01 AM
THE PLACE Member

It's more likely he's dropping his bow arm instead of bending at the waist and keeping his arms in a "T" on his body. That'll make ya shoot high every time

"Money buys bucks and tits" jb
You can't spell SPOILED without OIL
Old 08-27-2015, 08:06 AM
THE PLACE Member

Picked up a new release, Scott Silverhorn, after making sure there was no change in POI @ 10 yards I backed out to 25 and slung a few

"Money buys bucks and tits" jb
You can't spell SPOILED without OIL
Old 08-27-2015, 08:12 AM
Antler Addict

Question...I have my bow stacking at every yardage. Its shooting as good as I could have hoped for. When I put on the landsharks...fixed 2 blade head, my POI is 2" rt and 2" high every time...I mean these arrows are stacking just like the field tips...just not in the same spot. What do I do with that?