Pintail is my best good chum

Question exactly what good is a scope

on a turkey shotgun? not knocking it at all.............just curious
Old 02-07-2008, 03:41 PM
Dawn2Dusk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryano View Post
on a turkey shotgun? not knocking it at all.............just curious
When your pattern gets SO tight that it slings a softball sized pattern out to 30 yards, you quickly find that precise aiming is needed or a slight misjudgement of alignment will mean a miss.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:42 PM
Uncle BunBun

i guess for someone with failing vision...especially in low light conditions....it is another tool to make the shot more accurate....this of course is coming from someone who has never turkey hunted with a scope on his shotgun......but on a .22mag, it is deadly!!!!!
Old 02-07-2008, 03:49 PM
Shady Acres Farm & kennel

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadhead View Post
i guess for someone with failing vision...especially in low light conditions....it is another tool to make the shot more accurate....this of course is coming from someone who has never turkey hunted with a scope on his shotgun......but on a .22mag, it is deadly!!!!!
Old 02-07-2008, 03:50 PM
Etter1

I see guys on tv who can shoot the head off a turkey at 40 yards without more than a pellet or two in the neck. You'd probably need it for a gun that tight. Don't know why you'd want one like that. Give me a bead and a standard full choke any day.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:52 PM
Uncle BunBun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etter1 View Post
I see guys on tv who can shoot the head off a turkey at 40 yards without more than a pellet or two in the neck. You'd probably need it for a gun that tight. Don't know why you'd want one like that. Give me a bead and a standard full choke any day.
I have an extra tight choke but a regular sized bead on front and a small bead mid-way down the rib. I like this set up because the beads line up to keep your aim straight and you don't have a large neon sight at the end of the barrel obscuring the turkey's head.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:04 PM
Pintail is my best good chum

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadhead View Post
I have an extra tight choke but a regular sized bead on front and a small bead mid-way down the rib. I like this set up because the beads line up to keep your aim straight and you don't have a large neon sight at the end of the barrel obscuring the turkey's head.
Im pretty sure me and you got the exact same setup BH right down to the same kinda choke even
Old 02-07-2008, 04:05 PM
I'd rather be hunting

The only reasons I can think of is to combat an eye-dominance problem or to ensure you have your head down on the gun.

Me personally, I have a single, low-profile, fiber-optic bead. It is quick and effective
Old 02-07-2008, 04:20 PM
pointer1

got the same bead that came on the end of my 870 turkey killer and will never need or want a scope to shoot a turkey. Dont even like fiber optic sights, just the bead in the middle of his neck booooooomm.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:43 PM
snuffer

i actually have a fine scope for turkey hunting, and have never used one. i, too, am partial to a plain old bead. i have one 870 that has rifle sights on the barrel. that's as fancy as i get, on a shotgun. i can see why some people like them, though. one legitimate reason for scope, is to correct poi.