The Outdoors Place  
THE PLACE Chat Room

Go Back   The Outdoors Place > General > Shooting The Bull
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2018, 05:09 PM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckyT View Post
Itís bullshit..... CWD confirmed in Mississippi.... **** it... Letís just legalize baiting statewide. It needs to be banned statewide.... Maybe when CWD is confirmed here, they will ban it.
EHD kills 100s more deer each year so let's ban mosquitos
Old 05-25-2018, 05:15 PM
THE PLACE Member

The problem arises when you get situations like my coworker had this year. Greene county, a few miles from the southern zone. First week of November and having passed a ton of bucks up to that point. GW comes straight to the stand with his GPS, buddy had a salt lick out since May about a 100 yards away and the only part left was about the size of a big handful.

Guess what, ticket for baiting and fined 200+ dollars. That is bullshit when a few miles down the road, a hunter could have had any bait he wanted directly under his stand.

And, he wasn't allowed back to the stand for another 10 days during the prime time of the year.
Old 05-25-2018, 05:19 PM
THE PLACE Member

Out of the couple of dozen deer that I have killed over corn, I doubt very seriously that the corn made a difference. I would of still set up in the same places and still had shots at either them or other deer during those hunts. They are just as easy to kill on a food plot, on a hardwood flat dropping acorns or in a soybean/sunflower field as they are on a line of corn.
Old 05-25-2018, 06:00 PM
The ****in Slipknot \m/

Does Texas or any other states or provinces that allow baiting have problems with cwd? Serious question. Or is it just Mississippi? Cloud it have something to do with the water maybe?
Old 05-25-2018, 07:53 PM
Mean muggin

Let's get deer hooked on meth, or pills....or blow. Pour out a few oxy pills and here they come.
Old 05-25-2018, 08:07 PM
The ****in Slipknot \m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb View Post
Let's get deer hooked on meth, or pills....or blow. Pour out a few oxy pills and here they come.
I hear they like the smell of the OG
Old 05-25-2018, 10:14 PM
Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG View Post
I hear they like the smell of the OG
Word
Old 05-26-2018, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb View Post
It better when it's illegal. That way the corn I put out attracts more deer because there won't be near as much put out by the folks who are scared. Definitely better for me when it's a banned substance.
Why is cwd a concern when people feed deer 9 months out of the year and stop for 3 months? Or the folks who don't hunt but feed deer in their back yard year round? Can deer only contract it during hunting season?
CWD is spread through saliva and sharing food. Ban all forms of baiting year round if it gets to Alabama.

As for hunting, You are right Jim. When youíre the only guy slinging corn, it will work much better. When everybody statewide has a pile or feeder, well....
Old 05-26-2018, 09:27 AM

And.... It seems the “experts” are sort of unclear if the CWD prion can infect humans. They say “likely” not.. Not very convincing.
Old 05-26-2018, 11:30 AM
THE PLACE Member

I don't care either way. Corn will make it easier to kill a nice buck in Sept for sure while they are still on a summer pattern. I plan to take advantage of that if it passes. If it doesn't then I will hunt the not soo much magic persimmons. LoL if it passes I'm sure a lot less money will be spent planting food plots and more on feeders
Old 05-26-2018, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickdraw View Post
I don't care either way. Corn will make it easier to kill a nice buck in Sept for sure while they are still on a summer pattern. I plan to take advantage of that if it passes. If it doesn't then I will hunt the not soo much magic persimmons. LoL if it passes I'm sure a lot less money will be spent planting food plots and more on feeders
Early season and late season buck kills will go up initially.

But..... Deer arenít stupid critters. Once they adjust to the new pressure and feeders, nocturnal deer....

Hunters in general are stupid..

I guess if I grew up hunting in a state where it was legal, I wouldnít give a damn.

But growing up hunting not using it has made me a snob in regards to it.. Lmao! I donít want to use it, but when everybody else is.... Iíve learned hunting in the southern zone that it ABSOLUTELY changes how deer live their lives... Iím actually going to join the fray so to speak down there this season... Strategic locations laced with corn. Iím dropping my stubbornness and snobby attitude towards it....

Simply hate that this is will how it will be up here too....

And the fact the WRD/DNR is allowing it with CWD not terribly far away is mind blowing...

**** it.... I canít win. Might as well be a selfish ******* and get mine while I can get it, right?
Old 05-26-2018, 12:33 PM
THE PLACE Member

Not sure how it would work as a constant source of food. I keep it out around the house where I hunt and on the club, but those stands are legal for the most part. One or two might be within 200 yards but not by much and none of the feeders are sight of the stands.

When I use it at the plantation, I use it as just a stopper and not really a food source. I spread it down roadbeds or clearcuts in a semi circle around my stands but the corn is not there all the time, usually no more than a day or two before we hunt the stand and sometimes an hour before hunting there. The deer would have been funneling through these places anyway and the corn is used to stop the deer.
Old 05-26-2018, 01:58 PM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:

But..... Deer aren’t stupid critters. Once they adjust to the new pressure and feeders, nocturnal deer....

I guess if I grew up hunting in a state where it was legal, I wouldn’t give a damn.

But growing up hunting not using it has made me a snob in regards to it.. Lmao! I don’t want to use it, but when everybody else is.... I’ve learned hunting in the southern zone that it ABSOLUTELY changes how deer live their lives... I’m actually going to join the fray so to speak down there this season... Strategic locations laced with corn. I’m dropping my stubbornness and snobby attitude towards it....

And the fact the WRD/DNR is allowing it with CWD not terribly far away is mind blowing...

**** it.... I can’t win. Might as well be a selfish ******* and get mine while I can get it, right?
I felt that way a few years ago and most of my life. Now a dead deer is a dead deer regardless how we choose to get it in range The CWD does worry me however. I'm still going to hunt the same areas I've always hunted but as Sixes said. The corn could help us bowhunters get a better shot which will hopefully make for better shots and recoveries in general.
Old 05-27-2018, 05:12 AM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:

But..... Deer arenít stupid critters. Once they adjust to the new pressure and feeders, nocturnal deer....

I guess if I grew up hunting in a state where it was legal, I wouldnít give a damn.

But growing up hunting not using it has made me a snob in regards to it.. Lmao! I donít want to use it, but when everybody else is.... Iíve learned hunting in the southern zone that it ABSOLUTELY changes how deer live their lives... Iím actually going to join the fray so to speak down there this season... Strategic locations laced with corn. Iím dropping my stubbornness and snobby attitude towards it....

**** it.... I canít win. Might as well be a selfish ******* and get mine while I can get it, right?
Feeding deer year around is legal. But allow baiting all of the sudden causes CWD?
Old 05-27-2018, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncy View Post
Feeding deer year around is legal. But allow baiting all of the sudden causes CWD?
Címon Tom. You have to do better than that.