The Outdoors Place  
THE PLACE Chat Room

Go Back   The Outdoors Place > Outdoors > Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2019, 11:39 AM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Cruiser View Post
20 years ago, you could post up on the beach at 7 AM in the middle of June and maybe see 20 people in a day. A little more crowded nowadays but still love it.
Indeed. My grandparents started going over in the 70's. They had a place at an old fish camp in Panacea and would drive over for the day. To look at the pictures they took on the island during that time will really put it into perspective to today's current state.

We started staying on the island around 87-88. My grandfather had the opportunity to purchase about 6 acres and a home across from the beach around that same time frame and turned it down for one reason or another. That piece of land was subdivided numerous times during the boom of the late 90's and brought an absurd amount of money. Hindsight is 20/20. That period in the mid to late 90's/early 2000's made a lot of people a lot of money in that area, especially builders and real estate agents.

That period was just an incredible time down there. There were some amazing restaurants that are no longer around such as the Oyster Cove, Finni's, the Original Apalach Grill, Papa Joe's, The Hut. Fresh oysters by the sack full. Dang, I'd give anything to go back to that time.
Old 06-25-2019, 06:56 AM
GO TIGERS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin Pate View Post
Indeed. My grandparents started going over in the 70's. They had a place at an old fish camp in Panacea and would drive over for the day. To look at the pictures they took on the island during that time will really put it into perspective to today's current state.

We started staying on the island around 87-88. My grandfather had the opportunity to purchase about 6 acres and a home across from the beach around that same time frame and turned it down for one reason or another. That piece of land was subdivided numerous times during the boom of the late 90's and brought an absurd amount of money. Hindsight is 20/20. That period in the mid to late 90's/early 2000's made a lot of people a lot of money in that area, especially builders and real estate agents.

That period was just an incredible time down there. There were some amazing restaurants that are no longer around such as the Oyster Cove, Finni's, the Original Apalach Grill, Papa Joe's, The Hut. Fresh oysters by the sack full. Dang, I'd give anything to go back to that time.
It was an awesome place for sure. I remember going to the docks at Apalach with my Dad and buying bushels fresh off the boat for next to nothin. And damn shame about Papa Joes.
Now it seems all the locals head over to Red Pirate for dinner??
Old 06-25-2019, 08:51 AM
THE PLACE Member

sounds like a place i need to visit
Old 06-28-2019, 12:34 PM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Cruiser View Post
Now it seems all the locals head over to Red Pirate for dinner??
I've heard a lot of good things about it. I haven't visited it yet. Over the last handful of years it seems like we cook more meals ourself than going out to eat.