The Outdoors Place  
THE PLACE Chat Room

Go Back   The Outdoors Place > Hunting > Lease
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2008, 06:40 PM
Shady Acres Farm & kennel

Is this club "Bow only"

KH hows the Alfalfa look. Mine is smokin!
Old 04-05-2008, 07:22 PM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quackwacker View Post
Is this club "Bow only"

KH hows the Alfalfa look. Mine is smokin!
Yes, Bow Only till gun season opens.
Right now the clover is really growing. But if it repeats like last year. Once the clover starts slowing down the alfalfa will take over. I really need to spray it as the oats are starting to grow. Have you fertilized yours yet? I put out some 5-10-15 a couple weeks back. But I'm going to get some potash, and super phosphate soon.
Old 04-05-2008, 07:37 PM
THE PLACE Member

Two things...........first of all, that proboards site locked my junk down and dimmed the lights right after I clicked on it!

10 doe limit on 3300 acres? I know you can't shoot em and have em too..........but is that rule in place to rebuild a herd that was overharvested in years past?

Ya'll have to have a bigger doe fawn survival rate that what the club is harvesting.

Just wondering out loud...........
Old 04-05-2008, 10:00 PM
Shady Acres Farm & kennel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansashunter View Post
Yes, Bow Only till gun season opens.
Right now the clover is really growing. But if it repeats like last year. Once the clover starts slowing down the alfalfa will take over. I really need to spray it as the oats are starting to grow. Have you fertilized yours yet? I put out some 5-10-15 a couple weeks back. But I'm going to get some potash, and super phosphate soon.
Havent done anything to it since last fall. Im going to get a soil test soon and see what I need to do.

I'll get some pics of it soon.
Old 04-05-2008, 10:54 PM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull0ne View Post
Two things...........first of all, that proboards site locked my junk down and dimmed the lights right after I clicked on it! then fix your dang computer. Boink says the same I have no trouble at all with it so I don't know what to fix.

10 doe limit on 3300 acres? I know you can't shoot em and have em too..........but is that rule in place to rebuild a herd that was over harvested in years past? YES

Ya'll have to have a bigger doe fawn survival rate that what the club is harvesting. true also

Just wondering out loud...........
Does: If you haven't hunted or been down why would you even question our situation? And maybe you aren't, but some people just don't ask they. I guess they think we are anti-doe shooters. Not the case so thanks for asking.
We have been on this property(most of it) since before 1970. The property was clear cut (2000 acres) back in 1983. Until two years ago the timber hadn't been touched since. No thinning , no burning even though we were told they would(IP). Our average for killing 2 1/2 year old and older was between 10 and 15 bucks every year since since the we started practicing antler restrictions around 1980. We had never taken more does than buck only except the first few years when we started antlers restrictions. After we had our herd in balance we didn't have any restrictions on does at all. But we always average about a 1:1 ratio buck to doe.
Then when QDM really got popular all our neighbors started shooting away. We have a member that used to hunt on the 1296 acre tract that has killed 48 deer over there. Only 3 having a rack. That was only one member, so you might get my point. We now have that property. So with our club being a desert as far as food and our neighbors shooting away. Our doe and deer herd suffered. A few years back we didn't kill a single buck on our 2000 acres. last year our club voted on the 10 deer limit. We have our rules meeting the last weekend of the season so everyone will know what they are before they put up. We didn't even kill the 10 does this past year. We could have easily but the members finally took hold of what we were trying to do. So at our meeting I ask what they thought we should do now that we now added 900 acres to our club. I suggested we go up to 15 or 20 doe limit. The club voted and decided to stick with 10 another year. So see the people hunting the property decided their own future. Now that all the property has been thinned and the cutters are finally gone the turkey hunters are reporting more deer sign than seen in years.
So the plan we put in place a few years back is working and 2008 or 2009 should be our break through season. If it wasn't that 1/3 of our members worked in the housing market we wouldn't have any openings at all. But money is hard to come by this year.

Don't go to the proboards site, go to the other and see our rules and kills.
Old 04-06-2008, 06:27 AM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansashunter View Post
Does: If you haven't hunted or been down why would you even question our situation? And maybe you aren't, but some people just don't ask they. I guess they think we are anti-doe shooters. Not the case so thanks for asking.
We have been on this property(most of it) since before 1970. The property was clear cut (2000 acres) back in 1983. Until two years ago the timber hadn't been touched since. No thinning , no burning even though we were told they would(IP). Our average for killing 2 1/2 year old and older was between 10 and 15 bucks every year since since the we started practicing antler restrictions around 1980. We had never taken more does than buck only except the first few years when we started antlers restrictions. After we had our herd in balance we didn't have any restrictions on does at all. But we always average about a 1:1 ratio buck to doe.
Then when QDM really got popular all our neighbors started shooting away. We have a member that used to hunt on the 1296 acre tract that has killed 48 deer over there. Only 3 having a rack. That was only one member, so you might get my point. We now have that property. So with our club being a desert as far as food and our neighbors shooting away. Our doe and deer herd suffered. A few years back we didn't kill a single buck on our 2000 acres. last year our club voted on the 10 deer limit. We have our rules meeting the last weekend of the season so everyone will know what they are before they put up. We didn't even kill the 10 does this past year. We could have easily but the members finally took hold of what we were trying to do. So at our meeting I ask what they thought we should do now that we now added 900 acres to our club. I suggested we go up to 15 or 20 doe limit. The club voted and decided to stick with 10 another year. So see the people hunting the property decided their own future. Now that all the property has been thinned and the cutters are finally gone the turkey hunters are reporting more deer sign than seen in years.
So the plan we put in place a few years back is working and 2008 or 2009 should be our break through season. If it wasn't that 1/3 of our members worked in the housing market we wouldn't have any openings at all. But money is hard to come by this year.

Don't go to the proboards site, go to the other and see our rules and kills.
Not questioning your management practices.............just inquiring because it's 180 degrees from what we deal with in regards to does in THE PLACEs I hunt. We can't take enough does and that's with only shooting mature bucks, thereby leaving the young bucks in the herd.

Of course.........all but one tract I hunt adjoins crop fields that feed and congregate an unusually large number of deer.

I see now that you deal with a different reality in your area and why the rules are in place. I know you've done tons of work and I hope you can keep the lease through all the land selling that's going on!

Thanks for the reply.............free bump.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:48 AM
THE PLACE Member

ttt
Old 06-24-2008, 10:20 PM
THE PLACE Member

All our leases are paid but will take up to 3 more members.