The Outdoors Place  
THE PLACE Chat Room

Go Back   The Outdoors Place > General > The Sports Page
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #106  
Old 02-10-2017, 11:53 AM
Gimp Gimp is offline
Pintail is my best good chum
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Da projects
Posts: 40,753
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickdraw View Post
Falcons promote Manuel to DC, Young named defensive line coach

Lots of coaching changes. Hope it all works out and we repeat as NFC South champs
History doesnt bode well for a return to the Super Bowl next year. Seems like the loser always drifts off into suckdom ala Carolina Panthers. Sure hope thats not the case for the Falcons next year.
__________________
"I've been working here for 44 years. Ain't nobody ever ordered nothing but a T-Bone steak and baked potato. Except one time, this @sshole from New York ordered a trout, back in 1987. We ain't got no g**d*mned trout".,
Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old 02-10-2017, 02:05 PM
Quickdraw's Avatar
Quickdraw Quickdraw is offline
THE PLACE Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Milledgeville
Posts: 35,072
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimp View Post
History doesnt bode well for a return to the Super Bowl next year. Seems like the loser always drifts off into suckdom ala Carolina Panthers. Sure hope thats not the case for the Falcons next year.
True. This will be a test to see if this year was a fluke or if we are turning the corner as a franchise!
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old 02-10-2017, 05:16 PM
Gator's Avatar
Gator Gator is offline
THE PLACE Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 20,374
Default

5.5 days later and still sad.

BUT. The coons will win superbowl 52. Yall saw it here first.
__________________
❤️'s the only 🏡 big enough for all the pain in the 🌍
Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old 02-10-2017, 07:42 PM
GThunter's Avatar
GThunter GThunter is offline
Antler Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: In the woods.
Posts: 15,506
Default

They have to make all the right moves in the off season. The O-Line can get better, the D-Line MUST get better and our DBs and LBs must improve. As great as the offense was this past season it can't afford to take a step back in efficiency. Maybe points scored but not efficiency. And thats all assuming the Defense gets better and stays healthy for an entire season. We just had one healthy football season by NFL standards...be tough to be that lucky next year.

Back to what I said back in August or September...anything 9-7 and above was icing on the cake. This was a club on the right path to improving and all working towards a goal of establishing itself as a powerhouse. I still believe that. My worry haven gotten so close and losing in this fashion is just how will the skill players take the failure. Because lets face it, getting into the Super Bowl leads to failure being an option even if you didn't think the team was capable of getting there to begin with. I believe in this team, I believe in the process they have been working in, and I truly believe this team will get better next season. Following the NFL like I do, I also realize the line between good and great is razor thin. And many many football games come down to nothing more than a coin flip. Good teams can win, and great teams can lose on any given day. Getting back to the Super Bowl will be no easy task. We have a contender in these birds. Longevity in contending is what I dream of. Just a shot at GB in the NFC Championship next year and we will have arrived. Talent wise, ATL and Carolina should both be in the playoffs every year. It will be their heart that dictates what happens next.

We will have salt in the wound to start the season...we will be in Foxborough on the Thursday night season opener for the NFL watching them drop their Super Bowl 51 Championship banner. There will be a moment everyone in the organization must dig deep and find that something special and turn the heartbreak into fuel. It will be brutal. But greatness is defined in how you get up when knocked down. We will all have to wait and see what this team offers us.
__________________
"Luck is where Opportunity meets Preparation"
BUT
"Sometimes its better to be lucky than good"
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Old 02-10-2017, 09:34 PM
Quickdraw's Avatar
Quickdraw Quickdraw is offline
THE PLACE Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Milledgeville
Posts: 35,072
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GThunter View Post
They have to make all the right moves in the off season. The O-Line can get better, the D-Line MUST get better and our DBs and LBs must improve. As great as the offense was this past season it can't afford to take a step back in efficiency. Maybe points scored but not efficiency. And thats all assuming the Defense gets better and stays healthy for an entire season. We just had one healthy football season by NFL standards...be tough to be that lucky next year.

Back to what I said back in August or September...anything 9-7 and above was icing on the cake. This was a club on the right path to improving and all working towards a goal of establishing itself as a powerhouse. I still believe that. My worry haven gotten so close and losing in this fashion is just how will the skill players take the failure. Because lets face it, getting into the Super Bowl leads to failure being an option even if you didn't think the team was capable of getting there to begin with. I believe in this team, I believe in the process they have been working in, and I truly believe this team will get better next season. Following the NFL like I do, I also realize the line between good and great is razor thin. And many many football games come down to nothing more than a coin flip. Good teams can win, and great teams can lose on any given day. Getting back to the Super Bowl will be no easy task. We have a contender in these birds. Longevity in contending is what I dream of. Just a shot at GB in the NFC Championship next year and we will have arrived. Talent wise, ATL and Carolina should both be in the playoffs every year. It will be their heart that dictates what happens next.

We will have salt in the wound to start the season...we will be in Foxborough on the Thursday night season opener for the NFL watching them drop their Super Bowl 51 Championship banner. There will be a moment everyone in the organization must dig deep and find that something special and turn the heartbreak into fuel. It will be brutal. But greatness is defined in how you get up when knocked down. We will all have to wait and see what this team offers us.
Good thing we play in Foxnborough before it gets cold and snow on the ground!If Falcons were to beat Brady and the Pats on opening day in Foxsboro the Super Bowl loss will be a distant memory for me.
Reply With Quote
  #111  
Old 02-10-2017, 10:23 PM
Gator's Avatar
Gator Gator is offline
THE PLACE Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 20,374
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickdraw View Post
Good thing we play in Foxnborough before it gets cold and snow on the ground!If Falcons were to beat Brady and the Pats on opening day in Foxsboro the Super Bowl loss will be a distant memory for me.
You're out of your dang mind.
__________________
❤️'s the only 🏡 big enough for all the pain in the 🌍
Reply With Quote
  #112  
Old 02-10-2017, 10:40 PM
Quickdraw's Avatar
Quickdraw Quickdraw is offline
THE PLACE Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Milledgeville
Posts: 35,072
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator View Post
You're out of your dang mind.
Well. Not completely forget the loss in Super Bowl but it would help some
Reply With Quote
  #113  
Old 02-11-2017, 08:16 AM
jb's Avatar
jb jb is offline
Mean muggin
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Not in Ms.
Posts: 12,979
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator View Post
You're out of your dang mind.
__________________
too old for flat bills, too much self respect for skinny jeans
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old 02-11-2017, 08:44 AM
GThunter's Avatar
GThunter GThunter is offline
Antler Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: In the woods.
Posts: 15,506
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickdraw View Post
Good thing we play in Foxnborough before it gets cold and snow on the ground!If Falcons were to beat Brady and the Pats on opening day in Foxsboro the Super Bowl loss will be a distant memory for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator View Post
You're out of your dang mind.
Yeah...it would fix nothing. NOTHING! Reality is, we as fans can stay hurt by this, but the players HAVE to move on. 2016 Falcons team is over. A new team will take shape in a month. It will be everyone's job to move on. Those who can't probably will not be a Falcon for long.

Been reading weird reports on a breakdown in the 4th quarter between Shanny and Freeman. Nothing concrete has been released but some interviews with both men have hinted that something went sideways between them. From what I am gathering Shanny stopped calling Free's number because he wouldn't run the gaps he was supposed to run in the second half. Some sort of a confrontation over the phone took place just minutes before Free missed the Hightower blitz that took RYan out on that 2nd down play. Something was taking place between Freeman and Shanahan during the 2nd half of the game. I just don't think we have been told about how "The Brotherhood" broke down from the inside with their backs against the wall.
__________________
"Luck is where Opportunity meets Preparation"
BUT
"Sometimes its better to be lucky than good"
Reply With Quote
  #115  
Old 02-11-2017, 12:47 PM
Duff's Avatar
Duff Duff is offline
THE PLACE Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 8,611
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GThunter View Post
Yeah...it would fix nothing. NOTHING! Reality is, we as fans can stay hurt by this, but the players HAVE to move on. 2016 Falcons team is over. A new team will take shape in a month. It will be everyone's job to move on. Those who can't probably will not be a Falcon for long.

Been reading weird reports on a breakdown in the 4th quarter between Shanny and Freeman. Nothing concrete has been released but some interviews with both men have hinted that something went sideways between them. From what I am gathering Shanny stopped calling Free's number because he wouldn't run the gaps he was supposed to run in the second half. Some sort of a confrontation over the phone took place just minutes before Free missed the Hightower blitz that took RYan out on that 2nd down play. Something was taking place between Freeman and Shanahan during the 2nd half of the game. I just don't think we have been told about how "The Brotherhood" broke down from the inside with their backs against the wall.
Haven't heard that. Of course I haven't watched sportscenter or opened a sports related website in a week. Still pisses me off. I did try to watch the Super Bowl replay but turned it off at halftime
Reply With Quote
  #116  
Old 02-11-2017, 01:05 PM
GThunter's Avatar
GThunter GThunter is offline
Antler Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: In the woods.
Posts: 15,506
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff View Post
Haven't heard that. Of course I haven't watched sportscenter or opened a sports related website in a week. Still pisses me off. I did try to watch the Super Bowl replay but turned it off at halftime
I've heard Freeman say(and I'm paraphrasing) "No coach can tell me how to run the ball. I'll listen but when the ball gets in my hands I'm going where my instincts take me."

I've heard Shanny say (again paraphrasing) "we put in work and practice to run plays based on 11 guys aiming at moving the ball to a specific point. In the 4th quarter we had guys who didn't go where they were supposed to go or MISS blocking assignments in specific play calls." Felt like a shot at Free.
__________________
"Luck is where Opportunity meets Preparation"
BUT
"Sometimes its better to be lucky than good"
Reply With Quote
  #117  
Old 02-11-2017, 04:30 PM
Quickdraw's Avatar
Quickdraw Quickdraw is offline
THE PLACE Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Milledgeville
Posts: 35,072
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GThunter View Post
I've heard Freeman say(and I'm paraphrasing) "No coach can tell me how to run the ball. I'll listen but when the ball gets in my hands I'm going where my instincts take me."

I've heard Shanny say (again paraphrasing) "we put in work and practice to run plays based on 11 guys aiming at moving the ball to a specific point. In the 4th quarter we had guys who didn't go where they were supposed to go or MISS blocking assignments in specific play calls." Felt like a shot at Free.
I was wondering why Freeman played so little in the 4 th qtr and almost 0 run plays with him. Amazing how guys can execute all season and then just break down on the biggest game on the planet.
Reply With Quote
  #118  
Old 02-12-2017, 11:51 PM
GThunter's Avatar
GThunter GThunter is offline
Antler Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: In the woods.
Posts: 15,506
Default

I just watched the game again. Finally brought myself to watch it under a different mindset. Watching the start of the 4th quarter, Coleman was out there to start the drive. Free was on the sidelines with his helmet off...I find that odd. Coleman went down with the injury and Freeman had to come in. That very next play he looks lost, not even looking at hightower lined up off the DE showing blitz. He barely sees Hightower rushing and just barely even gets his hand on him as he hits Matt and forces the fumble. That play was the same play we ran against GB that Julio broke across the middle then ran down the sideline with the stiff arm for the long TD...he was wide ass open with hands going up as Matt was cocking to throw.

Jake Matthews was getting manhandled in the 4th quarter. His desperation led to 2 holding calls. Bellichick and Patricia were rushing 5 on 3rd down and running a stunt back across to the right side of our O-Line flashing in front of Matt and stressing our weak RT sode after Shraeder went down.

Watching that last drive after Julio made the unbelievable catch at the 22...I kept wishing they would call a run play on 2nd and 3rd down. Freeman bounced the 1st down run outside and took a short loss...then Matt gets sacked and then the holding call. 2 more runs and a Bryant FG and the game was over with NE out of timeouts. I still can't believe they blew it on one set of play calls and decisions. Hell Matt knew he couldn't take a sack there...he is moving sideways to try to escape the pocket and ends up taking the sack to protect the ball. Everything broke down in a mad flurry.

We must address depth at DB, DE, and right sode of the O-Line. Do that, bottle up the heartbreak and channel it, and this team could very well be the best in football next year. But we still HAVE to get a stud DE. Beasley is not it. And Freeny is probably done. But he's just a shadow of his old self. Still impressive he reached deep and sacked Brady late in the 4th quarter.

Our defense played a mighty fone football game. They just got no help from the offense late. Giving up 28 to Brady should have been enough. It WAS enough.
__________________
"Luck is where Opportunity meets Preparation"
BUT
"Sometimes its better to be lucky than good"
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.