The Outdoors Place  
THE PLACE Chat Room

Go Back   The Outdoors Place > General > The Sports Page
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2017, 10:51 AM
Antler Addict

Default Falcon's vs Pats for all the marbles

We are a day away from the culmination of one of the greatest, if not THE greatest single season performance and job we have seen take place in the Falcon's history. From front office to the players. At the onset of the season, aside from the NFL's Madden 2017 simulation, no fan, pundit or general observer could have predicted this team would be on the cusp of destiny. I myself was positive this team had improved. I was positive our QB, HC, free agent signings and draft choices were good. But there is no way to predict it would turn out this good with the way we saw Shanahan and Ryan working together last season. Shanahan scared the hell out of me. I felt we were a year away from a run but unsure if we had the OC.

Now here we sit, a little over 24 hours away from facing one more member of NFL Royalty in an effort to prove we belong. To prove age doesn't matter, to prove Blank kept the right people, to prove Matt is what we thought he could be, and prove the talking heads all wrong on what the Falcon's can do, and not what they have done in the past.

We don't truly know what our coach can do when he is up against the GOAT. And he is having to game plan against 2 GOATs. Belichick and Brady represent everything Coaches and QB's want in this game. And they have done it for a long time, and proven it on this stage 4 times in the past.

This game scares me. I KNOW this Falcon's team can beat these Pats. I also know Belichick has had 2 weeks to prepare a game plan. This entire game plays out evenly in the matchups of both offenses vs the opposing defense. The problem and fear I have, is special teams, Quinn's matchup with the Hooded one, and how our birds will play should this game come down to the final 2 minutes to decide greatness. Mainly worried about Brady having the ball to end it. We saw KC get us with a fake punt, we saw the Eagles gash us with a power run game...Belichick sees this too. I only hope Keith Armstrong and Quinn recognize it as well. Blount is a powerful running back. Violent! He runs alot like Beast Mode did in Seattle. Can we stop that? What happens if they stress us and hold us to 7-8 possessions and our defense can't get off the field? We do not know what our team will do in an absolute crunch time drive playing for their lives.

The Pats may be without Gronk, but what about Bennett? Can 22 cover that beast? Can we even truly expect the rookie to be educated on what to expect?

The RT for the Pats hasn't given up a sack since his first game of the season. Beasley will likely be irrelevant and exposed for what he really is. Grossly average at best. Again...hopefully Quinn knows this too and can get a different look for Vic.

On the opposite hand, our offense is unreal. Belichick may choose to put Butler on Sanu (nullifying him) while running his CB 2 shadowing Julio with a safety over the top all day. Fine...Free and Tevin, Gabriel and Hooper could have to shoulder the day. But what about Mack??? I doubt the competitor in him would miss any plays, but a cracked tibula gets hit one time the wrong way and his day is over. There is no injection that can right that if it gets broken all the way. If the Pats can get pressure on Matt with just a 4 man front..(which we will also need against Brady) someone could be in for a looong day.

The best useless stat I saw all week long was this "During the 2016 Regular season, the New England Patriots did not face a single QB ranked in the top 10 in QBR or Effeciency." They are billing this matchup as the Top scoring offense vs the Top Scoring defense. 5 of 6 matchups like this have resulted in the top Defense winning. My question is...are they truly the best defense if they haven't even faced the top 1/3 QBs in the league??

Another useless stat "Matt Ryan is one of 7 QBs to enter the Super Bowl having thrown 0 INTs during the playoffs. The previous 6 won the Lombardi."

Matt Ryan will win the MVP tonight and be on the precipice of ending any discussion on how good he is. But in the Atlanta circles, he will be just one INT and SB loss away from "I told you so" being spouted by all the Ryan haters who have donned the cloak of Ryan supporters because it was undeniable how good he has been this season. "Lets see how he plays on the biggest stage." Nonsense. Regardless of tomorrow night...Matt Ryan is one of the best QBs in the league.

I have seen the question asked multiple times during the week in Houston..."Its the final 2 minutes of the Super Bowl, you can choose Matt Ryan or Tom Brady as your QB to lead you down the field for the win. Who do you choose?" This is an easy answer...its obviously Tom Brady simply because we know what he has done in this situation before. My question is more pointed though. "Its the final 2 minutes of the Super Bowl, you can choose this Falcon's Offense or this New England offense. Who do you want?" The answer isn't as easy anymore. I'm taking Matty Ice, Julio Jones, Free, Coleman, Gabriel, Sanu, Hooper and our Pro Bowl Center with Bryant itching for his opportunity on the sidelines.

I wanted this matchup. The Falcon's wanted this matchup. And tomorrow is the opportunity to show the world this is for real. To be the best, you have to beat the best. And we have beaten them all in route to this moment. 1 left.

It will be one of two things, a moment of Destiny proving on the largest stage the Falcons have arrived. 7 of our starting D are 1st or 2nd year players. OR, it will be the final leg that negates any debate on just who the greatest Coach and QB of all time really are.

This game will be fun, it will be gut wrenching to watch, but make no mistake about it, no matter who gets to drop the SB 51 Championship banner next September, Our Falcons are here. They have arrived. The window is wide open for a few years and its a great time and reward for us Falcons fans who have been waiting for this opportunity the last 20 years.

Tomorrow's prediction:
Falcons 30, Patriots 24

Ryan has 325+ yards, 2TDs and 1 INT. Free and Tevin combine for 200 yards from scrimmage and a rushing TD, Ryan gets the SB MVP trophy. If Ryan throws for 3 TDs...Falcons win.
Brady throws for under 300. 1TD and 2 INTs. Blount rushes for over 100 but has 2 TDs. Edelman has under 8 catches but 100 yards.

Just felt like typing today
Old 02-04-2017, 12:08 PM
Mean muggin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GThunter View Post
We are a day away from the culmination of one of the greatest, if not THE greatest single season performance and job we have seen take place in the Falcon's history. From front office to the players. At the onset of the season, aside from the NFL's Madden 2017 simulation, no fan, pundit or general observer could have predicted this team would be on the cusp of destiny. I myself was positive this team had improved. I was positive our QB, HC, free agent signings and draft choices were good. But there is no way to predict it would turn out this good with the way we saw Shanahan and Ryan working together last season. Shanahan scared the hell out of me. I felt we were a year away from a run but unsure if we had the OC.

Now here we sit, a little over 24 hours away from facing one more member of NFL Royalty in an effort to prove we belong. To prove age doesn't matter, to prove Blank kept the right people, to prove Matt is what we thought he could be, and prove the talking heads all wrong on what the Falcon's can do, and not what they have done in the past.

We don't truly know what our coach can do when he is up against the GOAT. And he is having to game plan against 2 GOATs. Belichick and Brady represent everything Coaches and QB's want in this game. And they have done it for a long time, and proven it on this stage 4 times in the past.

This game scares me. I KNOW this Falcon's team can beat these Pats. I also know Belichick has had 2 weeks to prepare a game plan. This entire game plays out evenly in the matchups of both offenses vs the opposing defense. The problem and fear I have, is special teams, Quinn's matchup with the Hooded one, and how our birds will play should this game come down to the final 2 minutes to decide greatness. Mainly worried about Brady having the ball to end it. We saw KC get us with a fake punt, we saw the Eagles gash us with a power run game...Belichick sees this too. I only hope Keith Armstrong and Quinn recognize it as well. Blount is a powerful running back. Violent! He runs alot like Beast Mode did in Seattle. Can we stop that? What happens if they stress us and hold us to 7-8 possessions and our defense can't get off the field? We do not know what our team will do in an absolute crunch time drive playing for their lives.

The Pats may be without Gronk, but what about Bennett? Can 22 cover that beast? Can we even truly expect the rookie to be educated on what to expect?

The RT for the Pats hasn't given up a sack since his first game of the season. Beasley will likely be irrelevant and exposed for what he really is. Grossly average at best. Again...hopefully Quinn knows this too and can get a different look for Vic.

On the opposite hand, our offense is unreal. Belichick may choose to put Butler on Sanu (nullifying him) while running his CB 2 shadowing Julio with a safety over the top all day. Fine...Free and Tevin, Gabriel and Hooper could have to shoulder the day. But what about Mack??? I doubt the competitor in him would miss any plays, but a cracked tibula gets hit one time the wrong way and his day is over. There is no injection that can right that if it gets broken all the way. If the Pats can get pressure on Matt with just a 4 man front..(which we will also need against Brady) someone could be in for a looong day.

The best useless stat I saw all week long was this "During the 2016 Regular season, the New England Patriots did not face a single QB ranked in the top 10 in QBR or Effeciency." They are billing this matchup as the Top scoring offense vs the Top Scoring defense. 5 of 6 matchups like this have resulted in the top Defense winning. My question is...are they truly the best defense if they haven't even faced the top 1/3 QBs in the league??

Another useless stat "Matt Ryan is one of 7 QBs to enter the Super Bowl having thrown 0 INTs during the playoffs. The previous 6 won the Lombardi."

Matt Ryan will win the MVP tonight and be on the precipice of ending any discussion on how good he is. But in the Atlanta circles, he will be just one INT and SB loss away from "I told you so" being spouted by all the Ryan haters who have donned the cloak of Ryan supporters because it was undeniable how good he has been this season. "Lets see how he plays on the biggest stage." Nonsense. Regardless of tomorrow night...Matt Ryan is one of the best QBs in the league.

I have seen the question asked multiple times during the week in Houston..."Its the final 2 minutes of the Super Bowl, you can choose Matt Ryan or Tom Brady as your QB to lead you down the field for the win. Who do you choose?" This is an easy answer...its obviously Tom Brady simply because we know what he has done in this situation before. My question is more pointed though. "Its the final 2 minutes of the Super Bowl, you can choose this Falcon's Offense or this New England offense. Who do you want?" The answer isn't as easy anymore. I'm taking Matty Ice, Julio Jones, Free, Coleman, Gabriel, Sanu, Hooper and our Pro Bowl Center with Bryant itching for his opportunity on the sidelines.

I wanted this matchup. The Falcon's wanted this matchup. And tomorrow is the opportunity to show the world this is for real. To be the best, you have to beat the best. And we have beaten them all in route to this moment. 1 left.

It will be one of two things, a moment of Destiny proving on the largest stage the Falcons have arrived. 7 of our starting D are 1st or 2nd year players. OR, it will be the final leg that negates any debate on just who the greatest Coach and QB of all time really are.

This game will be fun, it will be gut wrenching to watch, but make no mistake about it, no matter who gets to drop the SB 51 Championship banner next September, Our Falcons are here. They have arrived. The window is wide open for a few years and its a great time and reward for us Falcons fans who have been waiting for this opportunity the last 20 years.

Tomorrow's prediction:
Falcons 30, Patriots 24

Ryan has 325+ yards, 2TDs and 1 INT. Free and Tevin combine for 200 yards from scrimmage and a rushing TD, Ryan gets the SB MVP trophy. If Ryan throws for 3 TDs...Falcons win.
Brady throws for under 300. 1TD and 2 INTs. Blount rushes for over 100 but has 2 TDs. Edelman has under 8 catches but 100 yards.

Just felt like typing today
I know up until this year I wasn't Ryan's fan club president, but he's turned the corner to being a franchise qb. I think along with the weapons and protection, he has put in a lot more work and decided in his mind that he can and will be a top 3 NFL qb for years to come. So whatever happens, win, lose, super bowl mvp or pic 6 to lose the game, you won't hear me revert to last year's feelings of him and say 'I told you so". He's won me over.
Old 02-04-2017, 12:52 PM
THE PLACE Member

As good as Brady is, Blount scares me the most. As you said, they have to stop him. If he bulls his way 8-10 yds at a time and the defense can't get off the field, we are in trouble. I'm sure that will be their first game plan. If the Coons do stop it, I bet the running game turns to Brady's 3 yrd dinks to the white WRs. Also hard to stop.

The only thing I didn't see you mention is tackling. We HAVE to tackle well at the line. Can't let Blount get up a head of steam or those WRs turn the 3 yd pass into 15 yd gains. Can't. The DL's may make or break us. Stopping Blount and pressuring Brady up the middle may tell the tell.

A great start would be huge to make them one dimensional.

I heard someone on the radio say they wanted to Falcons to at least keep it respectable. Don't let them blow us out to let everyone know the Coons are for real, for years to come. I say, piss on that. Falcons are here to win it, so go do it!

As stated before, Bryant kicks a FG with less than a minute for the win!
Old 02-04-2017, 02:35 PM
Antler Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb View Post
I know up until this year I wasn't Ryan's fan club president, but he's turned the corner to being a franchise qb. I think along with the weapons and protection, he has put in a lot more work and decided in his mind that he can and will be a top 3 NFL qb for years to come. So whatever happens, win, lose, super bowl mvp or pic 6 to lose the game, you won't hear me revert to last year's feelings of him and say 'I told you so". He's won me over.
IMO I don't see how the last 23 months wouldn't have changed everyone's mind. What he did to learn a new offense, work on his footwork and then run it all with this type of efficiency takes a special QB. Talent wise and dedication/practice time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff View Post
As good as Brady is, Blount scares me the most. As you said, they have to stop him. If he bulls his way 8-10 yds at a time and the defense can't get off the field, we are in trouble. I'm sure that will be their first game plan. If the Coons do stop it, I bet the running game turns to Brady's 3 yrd dinks to the white WRs. Also hard to stop.

The only thing I didn't see you mention is tackling. We HAVE to tackle well at the line. Can't let Blount get up a head of steam or those WRs turn the 3 yd pass into 15 yd gains. Can't. The DL's may make or break us. Stopping Blount and pressuring Brady up the middle may tell the tell.

A great start would be huge to make them one dimensional.

I heard someone on the radio say they wanted to Falcons to at least keep it respectable. Don't let them blow us out to let everyone know the Coons are for real, for years to come. I say, piss on that. Falcons are here to win it, so go do it!

As stated before, Bryant kicks a FG with less than a minute for the win!
Blount and Bennett scare the hell out of me. Not worried about Brady. His is what he is. If he gets sacked 4 times we outscore them. Game over.

I am not worried about our tackling. We have athletes at every position on D. We may get exploited where Trufant is missing but I don't see the athletes at NE WR position to truly skew it drastically. Fundamentally our D is sound. They swarm and ball hawk. That speed is evident. I think it will be the bell of the ball in this Super Bowl. Ryan gets MVP, but the D wins this game. And no one can deny what Quinn has done with it.

I wish the game was tonight. I'm anxious and want it over with. I can not even inagine what the players are feeling.
Old 02-04-2017, 03:53 PM
THE PLACE Member

If Atlanta scores a TD on their first possession look out. It's all about momentum and if we get up front early we will bury the Patriots as they will be 1 dimensional and throw every down. If that happens Brady will be throwing lots of balls out of bounds. Atl 34-31
Old 02-04-2017, 06:32 PM
Mean muggin

Patriots are gonna be one dimensional if we get up a td on them? L to the OL. Wonder what Blount's stats say about that. Like 1200 rush yards and 16 touchdowns I think? Plus the other 2 backs.... Yeah, let's not worry about their run game.
Old 02-04-2017, 08:18 PM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Patriots are gonna be one dimensional if we get up a td on them? L to the OL. Wonder what Blount's stats say about that. Like 1200 rush yards and 16 touchdowns I think? Plus the other 2 backs.... Yeah, let's not worry about their run game.
If we get up a couple of scores they will throw every down. They were beating the heck out of Pitts and still threw the ball most every down in the 2 nd half. Should be interesting on how the game plays out and adjustments made by the coaches and players as the game goes on. I got 15-20 folks coming over. That's going to be interesting also
Old 02-04-2017, 08:45 PM
Mean muggin

Ryan just got offensive player of the year at the awards ceremony. I've never even watched it until now. Wonder if that's a consolation prize for him not getting mvp?
Old 02-04-2017, 08:45 PM
Antler Addict

Deon Lewis...you will know his name tomorrow.

My solace comes in the fact that our defense...practices against our offense on a regular basis. We can duplicate the matchups they face in practice.

I am sorry, but there is NO WAY the Patriots reproduced in practice the speed and weapons that are coming their way tomorrow. And they DAMN sure can't reproduce what Julio can do.
Old 02-04-2017, 08:47 PM
Antler Addict

Quote:
Ryan just got offensive player of the year at the awards ceremony. I've never even watched it until now. Wonder if that's a consolation prize for him not getting mvp?
He gonna get it all in the next 26 hours
Old 02-04-2017, 09:41 PM
Antler Addict

BOOOM!!! NFL MVP Matty Ice!
Old 02-04-2017, 10:00 PM
Antler Addict

Yet another useless stat...

Of the last 16 MVP winners, seven went on to play in the Super Bowl in the same season but none won the game. The seven: Kurt Warner (St. Louis) in 2001, Rich Gannon (Oakland) in 2002, Shaun Alexander (Seattle) in 2005; Brady in 2007; Peyton Manning (Indianapolis) in 2009; Manning again (with Denver) in 2013; Cam Newton (Carolina) in 2015.
Old 02-04-2017, 10:48 PM
THE PLACE Member

You lackey'd that willy!
Old 02-05-2017, 08:50 AM
Mean muggin

MVP and offensive player of the year! Need to get the crown tonight and the trifecta will be complete!
Old 02-05-2017, 09:50 AM
THE PLACE Member

The day is finally here. Let's dance!