The Outdoors Place  
THE PLACE Chat Room

Go Back   The Outdoors Place > General > The Sports Page
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2016, 07:13 PM
THE PLACE Member

Their schedule is brutal. Fair weather bone head fans are going to look at only Ws and Ls and think it's a failure. But 8 wins could be a pretty productive season. There's an off chance this team could win 10 games. Their future at QB needs to be addressed. Ryan's prime is about to be gone.
Old 08-08-2016, 04:20 PM
THE PLACE Member

http://www.thefalcoholic.com/2016/8/...263.1403652396

Beasley finally learning a spin move!
Old 08-08-2016, 08:56 PM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator View Post
Their schedule is brutal. Fair weather bone head fans are going to look at only Ws and Ls and think it's a failure. But 8 wins could be a pretty productive season. There's an off chance this team could win 10 games. Their future at QB needs to be addressed. Ryan's prime is about to be gone.
Agree with it. Hard to address winning 8-10 games though.
Old 08-11-2016, 03:24 PM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator View Post
Your exactly right Gator B, if they could win 10 with this schedule they would be considered contenders in 2016 again 8 or 9 wins would be good. After saying that I will say this,I am ready to watch them tonight. I have been laid up all week, had hernia surgery Monday. Feel lot better today,back to work fri.
GO FALCONS
Old 08-11-2016, 06:38 PM
THE PLACE Member

Offense doesn't look any different so far. Punter and kicker may be their best players, again. Beasley looks good but just got hurt
Old 08-11-2016, 06:43 PM
Mean muggin

Matt Ryan, I'm afraid, has already seen his best years, which weren't great. Never been a fan. I hope he proves me wrong. Where's gt willie to defend his honor?
Old 08-11-2016, 08:06 PM
THE PLACE Member

Great kickoff return for TD by the kid out of Arkansas State. Rookie LBs look good so far. Matt Shaub cam still play!
Old 08-12-2016, 02:52 PM
Antler Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb View Post
Matt Ryan, I'm afraid, has already seen his best years, which weren't great. Never been a fan. I hope he proves me wrong. Where's gt willie to defend his honor?
Not gonna defend his honer...been doing that long enough as I still believe he is a damn good QB. Problem is we know he is a pocket passer. Always has been. If Atlanta can't give him that and Shanahan keeps asking him to do roll out after roll out he needs to go on to Denver and get a SB ring. No excuses from me this season if Ryan continues his high INT #s of the past 2 seasons. I really do not like Shanahan and his "my way" offense. If you can't conform your offense to fit what your QB's comfort and strengths are...something has to give. Though I believe they have addressed this behind closed doors. Quinn as well. Someone's job, if this offense flails with this talent and O-Line, will be on the line come January.

Alex Mack is Matt Ryan's "no excuses in 2016" addition to this club. Mack is as solid as they come.

I know those 2 rookie LBs last night are for real. 45 Jones and 59 Campbell are bad asses. All over the field. And made some great 1 on 1 tackles last night. And word is...Neal is the best draft pick they made. REALLY REALLY good.

I also think Freeny is going to make Beasley better...though I did see him get man handled by a RT when the 1s were in for Washington. That spin move was pretty lackluster and slow. No violence in the way he plays. The kid can run...maybe he'll make a better LB than a DE.

I also really like Tevin Coleman. I think he's a better rusher than Freeman if he can make sure he erases the fumbles from last year. Kid is a bowling ball.

Last edited by GThunter : 08-12-2016 at 03:00 PM.
Old 08-12-2016, 07:55 PM
THE PLACE Member

I am guessing warlow will do some special team stuff, I also thought Robinson looked pretty good, he had to slow down to catch the passes. In week one I would say DQ and bicycle boy look like they might have hit on something. That big dude that ran the kickoff back was flying kinda short stepping , Campbell and jones could have some fun with RG3 next week. Still early,looking forward to it
Old 08-13-2016, 04:06 AM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb View Post
I said that last year.
Old 08-13-2016, 10:38 AM
Antler Addict

I think we are learning just how BIG having Tony G. at TE really was to any QB. I've said that in the past though. Perhaps the best to play the position.

I honestly don't think with the style QB Matt Ryan is that he is past his prime and is unable to be a great QB still. We've seen too many QBs have success after 30. Especially QBs that are not highly mobile and pure bred pocket passers. This entire back and forth on Ryan and how good he is/can be will be mute as long as the offensive scheme is built around moving the pocket and doing roll outs. It still baffles me they brought in an OC whose complicated scheme is predicated on moving the passing angle outside the pocket when they have $20+ mil invested in their QB. For 13+ years the man has been a pocket passer, from his BC days to just 13 months ago. Now they want him to throw on the run...something everyone knows has never been his strong suit. But now he's asked to do it and adapt.

For everyone easily grabbing the low hanging fruit of his past 2 seasons...if Ryan and this offense put up 26 pts a game this season and Matt throws 35 TDs and less than 12 turn overs, will your confidence in him change? I mean he still completed almost 67% of his passes last season. It was the red zone turnovers and fumbles that changed last season. Half of which wreaked of desperation and confusion with not being on the same page with receivers and a collapsed pocket 9 times out of 10 on 3rd and long or inside the red zone. The center position killed that team.

I said I would't jump in and defend him...but I truly believe he's been getting a short stick at both the O-Line and the new Offensive System the last few years since Tony G. left. The O-Line has been deplorable. I know Brady to Ryan is apples to oranges...but we saw what pressure can do to perhaps the greatest to play the game in last year's AFC Championship game. That pressure and pocket disruption Denver put on Brady and Co is what Ryan faced more than half the games he has played in the last 3 seasons. Pocket passers just can't thrive without it. And Brady had Gronk on the field. (who by the way put up 144 yds and the only TD)

If Matt Ryan adapts to this system and has a successful 2016 season and wins games for this team...this debate has to end. For me there will be no doubt he is good enough. But I truly don't know what #s and ending record equates to success. Thats what we need to wait and watch and see play out.

I do know this...it is a bit comical to jump the low hanging fruit after 6 plays in a pre season game where the first 3 plays were from the half yard line of their own end zone in a meaningless "lets just get out of here injury free" type game. Gotta do better than that. As predictable as the callers on the sports radio programs Friday morning.

I bet you also think Schaub may take his starting job away too! Even if he doesn't have the arm to throw it 45 yards down the field. But he damn sure looked good against 2nd and 3rd stringers who won't even be in the NFL in 2 more weeks.

There you go JB
Old 08-13-2016, 01:57 PM
Mean muggin

Soooooo.....are we playing Place fantasy football again this year?

And, I said I hope he proves me wrong. I'm waiting
Old 08-13-2016, 03:11 PM
THE PLACE Member

I agree with both of you. Ryan's best days are behind him--I think. I am not saying he is not a good QB though.

I agree with you Willie. The offense is killing his production.

This is what I worry will happen. OC wastes this year and possibly next running a stupid offense that goes no where before Quinn(who I really like) fires him. Then Ryan's best yrs are for sure behind him. Then it will take another 2-3 yrs before they figure out its time to replace Ryan as it will take 2-3 yrs to win with a new OC. 4-5 losing season in a row and Quinn will be fired. At this point they will need a QB, a HC and an aging Julio's contract will have them handcuffed.

All this could have been avoided if Quinn would have sent Shannahan packing this year.

All I can see saving them from this is Ryan being productive into his late 30's or Quinn developing a defense that will carry the team--or both. Ala Denver Broncos.
I simply don't see them winning 10-12 games with Ryan and the OC together.

If that happens it will be a shame. I think Quinn was a great hire and can be a great NFL coach.
Old 08-13-2016, 03:25 PM
THE PLACE Member

My biggest knock on Ryan is, for a pocket passer, he doesn't throw the deep ball very well. All the good ones do.

Oh yea, anyone that thinks Schuab should be the starter doesn't watch much NFL. The last year he played as a starter he threw about 10 pick 6's. Lol
Old 08-15-2016, 08:29 AM
Antler Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff View Post
This is what I worry will happen. OC wastes this year and possibly next running a stupid offense that goes no where before Quinn(who I really like) fires him. Then Ryan's best yrs are for sure behind him. Then it will take another 2-3 yrs before they figure out its time to replace Ryan as it will take 2-3 yrs to win with a new OC. 4-5 losing season in a row and Quinn will be fired. At this point they will need a QB, a HC and an aging Julio's contract will have them handcuffed.

All this could have been avoided if Quinn would have sent Shannahan packing this year.
I am worried your scenario above is taking place as well. I am really really scared the Shanahan hire is the single thing that is going to stop this team's progress. I really really really like Dan Quinn. He HAS to know Shanahan and his hard lined system is not going to work with this QB straight up. So I hope a come to jesus meeting took place this offseason. Word is Shanahan and Ryan had many meetings during the spring. Just the 2 of them. And following the end of those meetings, Matt took the entire offense minus the line down to Florida for 2 weeks where they worked out and practiced daily. We will see if that pays off. In a new offense...reps, reps, reps is what matters most.

But also keep in mind, this offense is predicated on the run game...not Matt Ryan's arm. As good as Freeman was stats wise last year they rarely established the run game. Which put the ball in Matt's hands on known passing downs and a practice squad center became the focus of the defense. Not a good situation to be in...for any QB. I don't think Ryan/Shanahan offensive success fully centers around Matt's arm and his connection with his WRs. I think a revamped O-Line that keeps us out of 3rd and long with the run game equates to a serious offense change from 2015.