The Outdoors Place  
THE PLACE Chat Room

Go Back   The Outdoors Place > Hunting > Hunters Journal
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2008, 08:33 PM
THE PLACE Member

Default Ernie's Journal

Sept. 13 - 21: 7 times in the stand with no deer seen, the full moon and heat were rough on my opening week efforts.

Sept. 23rd : Hunted from an old reliable sweetgum this evening and the deer floodgates opened! I looked to my left about 6 pm and saw a big bodied buck cruising by about 55 yards away. He didn't pause long but I could see he had long main beams. He came back into view about 10 minutes later and went through the whole scrape making routine about 45 yards from my tree.....workiing the licking branch over real good then raking the ground with his hooves before stepping up and going through the rub-urination sequence. He put on a great show before dissapearing into the thick stuff again!

Just a few minutes later 4 does are running with their flags up in right in front of me from the direction the buck was heading. Instead of running after them he just came walking slowly down the general path they took and paused for several minutes with his head down towards the ground. I never was able to get a real good read on his rack as far as points and spread but I'm sure he was a mature buck......he was built like a bull!

About 7:00 pm 6 more does and yearlings came feeding by and I had a nice mature doe offering me the sweetest looking 7 yard shots you could ask for during the last fifteen minutes of daylight but I chose not to take her in hopes of getting a shot at a good buck in that spot later this week.

Slick heads were feeding on water oaks.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:39 PM
THE PLACE Member

Sounds like a great evening, hope you get another chance at him
Old 09-24-2008, 07:54 PM
THE PLACE Member

Sept. 24 - Got set up around 5:30 this afternoon about 75 yards from where I hunted the day before. A little warmer than yesterday with a little less breeze and the deer didn't seem to move as well. Had a doe and a fawn come out about 6:30 and both offered good shots inside of 10 yards. Passed again hoping to see some buck activity but it didn't happen today. Found some more nice scrapes and skinned-up cedar trees. It's just about GO time around here!
Old 09-25-2008, 10:35 PM
THE PLACE Member

Sept.25 - Felt like a good day to be in a tree untill the wind started gusting. I had set up in new place that was a lot thicker than what I had been seeing deer in the last couple of days and there was some good buck sign in there too. Nothing showed today.
Old 10-03-2008, 10:09 PM
THE PLACE Member

October 2nd & 3rd....Got back from the Tuckahoe ML hunt today and had several chances to kill a deer but the only one I really wanted to shoot, a very nice mature buck on opening morning, stayed mostly behind brush untill he came into a small opening about 100 yds out. Tried to grunt at him a little bit but he just stopped and looked my way without changing course,I don't use a scope so I chose to pass in the hopes that he might come back closer or that I could reposition and get a better shot over the next couple of days. long story short it didn't work out for me nearly as well as it did for the buck.

Passed a shot on a tasty looking fawn later that morning and the same result for a lone doe that bedded down in front of my stand about 9:30 this morning.

A little dissapointing but I always believe as long as you're seeing nice bucks some good things will happen eventually.
Old 10-03-2008, 10:13 PM
Uncle BunBun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
October 2nd & 3rd....Got back from the Tuckahoe ML hunt today and had several chances to kill a deer but the only one I really wanted to shoot, a very nice mature buck on opening morning, stayed mostly behind brush untill he came into a small opening about 100 yds out. Tried to grunt at him a little bit but he just stopped and looked my way without changing course,I don't use a scope so I chose to pass in the hopes that he might come back closer or that I could reposition and get a better shot over the next couple of days. long story short it didn't work out for me nearly as well as it did for the buck.

Passed a shot on a tasty looking fawn later that morning and the same result for a lone doe that bedded down in front of my stand about 9:30 this morning.

A little dissapointing but I always believe as long as you're seeing nice bucks some good things will happen eventually.
Sorry you didn't connect Ernie. Maybe Fort Stewart will work out better for you.
Old 10-03-2008, 10:13 PM
THE PLACE Member

Stay on him bub you will get him yet........
Old 10-03-2008, 10:23 PM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadhead View Post
Sorry you didn't connect Ernie. Maybe Fort Stewart will work out better for you.
Yeah me too! Just a little frustation setting in now with the two close calls on some fine bucks. One day soon I'll take the next step with one.

What does your Di - lane schedule look like next week, Bunyan?
Old 10-03-2008, 10:30 PM
Uncle BunBun

I'll roll in Friday afternoon. Hopefully in time to climb a tree. Don't set up camp by the road. Lets camp off the dirt road away from the traffic.
Old 10-06-2008, 08:27 AM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadhead View Post
I'll roll in Friday afternoon. Hopefully in time to climb a tree. Don't set up camp by the road. Lets camp off the dirt road away from the traffic.
Okay so if I'm hearing you correctly I'm not sensing a lot of support for the camp with the highway frontage? I think we'll miss the convenience but we'll try it your way!
Old 10-06-2008, 08:33 AM
THE PLACE Member

Oct. 4 & 5...Hunted the Ft. Stewart ML opening weekend and saw deer moving early each afternoon but none were sighted in the morning. Finally got to hunt with tailfeather on Sunday and we both had the same 6-point buck come by our stands plus a few does but we didn't take a shot.

Good hunting with you Joe!
Old 10-06-2008, 10:40 AM
Holy Wah is right!

Stick with it Ernie, and you'll connect. I should be rolling in Thursday evening.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:28 PM
THE PLACE Member

Oct 9-11.......The annual trip to Di-Lane was a blast as usual with good times around camp and plenty of deer seen in the woods. I personally saw 5 bucks and 7 does during 3 full days of hunting and unfortunately I missed a 90 yard shot on a nice 8-point the first morning in the stand.

Broadhead busted a good doe on Saturday morning to keep us from getting skunked. Congrats again Bunyan!!

One sad note.....I still have no idea where he's hunting up there.

Last edited by Echo : 10-13-2008 at 06:46 PM.
Old 04-01-2015, 02:52 PM
THE PLACE Member

Echo Stryker. Byebye
Old 04-01-2015, 02:56 PM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator View Post
Echo Stryker. Byebye
He is turkey hunting in SC.