The Outdoors Place  
THE PLACE Chat Room

Go Back   The Outdoors Place > Hunting > Everything Turkey
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2017, 11:47 AM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickdraw View Post
Good job Timmy! Hunted in Bleclkley yet?
Headed down the 14th or 15th. Supposed to stay until Wednesday but looking like I will be coming home a day early and headed to Steinhatchee to go fishing on Wednesday.
Old 04-03-2017, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator Supervisor

It pretty much boils down if a guy has birds on his place or not. Doesn't matter if it's public or private land.

I'm down to not having property with many birds on them. Tin Top isn't the Tin Top it use to be. Not knocking it at all. We were talking about it this weekend down there. The population isn't half of what it use to be.... It's pretty strange to say the least. Public land in the piedmont is always crowded. More now than ever, but... Certain places always had plenty of birds. Now they don't... No scratchings, no tracks, no scat....... They've up and vanished....

Some places in the state have booming populations. Is what it is.. I think the population decline where I like to hunt stems from habitat loss, bad hatches, and possibly farming practices.
Old 04-03-2017, 12:43 PM
THE PLACE Member

We seem to be back in an upswing of birds around during my places up here. Been bad for last 10 years. Been 3 times in last 4 days and killed 2 and have had a close encounter yesterday afternoon.
Old 04-03-2017, 12:44 PM

Good Deal Blaine!
Old 04-03-2017, 04:01 PM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckyT View Post
It pretty much boils down if a guy has birds on his place or not. Doesn't matter if it's public or private land.

I'm down to not having property with many birds on them. Tin Top isn't the Tin Top it use to be. Not knocking it at all. We were talking about it this weekend down there. The population isn't half of what it use to be.... It's pretty strange to say the least. Public land in the piedmont is always crowded. More now than ever, but... Certain places always had plenty of birds. Now they don't... No scratchings, no tracks, no scat....... They've up and vanished....

Some places in the state have booming populations. Is what it is.. I think the population decline where I like to hunt stems from habitat loss, bad hatches, and possibly farming practices.
Our population in Troup has went down a little the last few years, don't like to accuse people, but I'm fairly sure there is a lot of corn surrounding us, I know there is a trough feeder across our creek on the gasline, I saw deer feeding at it last week, so I'm sure the turkeys are on the side most of the time.

The population at the plantation has decreased since I started hunting there, but I think it's mainly due to the cutting of the majority of hardwoods on the property and change in the land. There are still lots of birds there but they seem to be in less areas and we don't see nowhere near as many as a few years ago, especially riding around during the day. I'm beginning to think that all the chicken shit spread on all the fields is detrimental to turkeys.

At work, we have more turkeys this year than I have seen in a long time. A few weeks before the season opened, there was a group of 17 longbeards and another group of 9 jakes on the property. Some have left lately, but I'm still seeing several different longbeards a day. My uncle's property, where I posted my cousin's birds, is across the river and a mile from the plant and their population is really up this year too.
Old 04-03-2017, 05:05 PM

I rarely see birds around my house anymore. A big cattle operation started using chicken litter about 3yrs ago. I saw a turkey today. A lone hen. First turkey I've seen in months.

Before the chicken poop, turkeys everywhere. Just a tad coincidental..
Old 04-03-2017, 05:41 PM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckyT View Post
I rarely see birds around my house anymore. A big cattle operation started using chicken litter about 3yrs ago. I saw a turkey today. A lone hen. First turkey I've seen in months.

Before the chicken poop, turkeys everywhere. Just a tad coincidental..
Not coincidental. They hate it
Old 04-03-2017, 05:50 PM
The ****in Slipknot \m/

Chicken shit has kept them off a field my cousin and I hunt for the last couple of weeks. Up until today. He popped one in it just a little while ago.
Old 04-03-2017, 06:07 PM
THE PLACE Member

"Money buys bucks and tits" jb
You can't spell SPOILED without OIL
Old 04-03-2017, 06:11 PM
The ****in Slipknot \m/

He's also an azz hole. Here's the kill pic
Old 04-03-2017, 07:55 PM
THE PLACE Member

Nice bird! How did he get him to pose like that?
Old 04-03-2017, 08:12 PM
The ****in Slipknot \m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADDICTED2HUNTIN View Post
Nice bird! How did he get him to pose like that?
Thumb ups it's azz, squeezing the taint.
Old 04-04-2017, 05:40 AM
THE PLACE Member