The Outdoors Place  
THE PLACE Chat Room

Go Back   The Outdoors Place > Hunting > Everything Turkey
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2018, 08:09 AM
THE PLACE Member

Default Clybel/Charlie Elliott

So 4 years of priority points got me a turkey hunt at Clybel. Scouted last weekend and saw zero sign of any birds having ever set foot on the 6400 acres. Place is beautiful though. Decently managed from a forestry and wildlife perspective as well. Monday was windy so went yesterday to give it a try. Not a gobble. Put 11 miles on the boots and never saw a track. I picked Clybel because it was close enough to drive to the morning of. Guess I'll start saving up for Piedmont now. If you like to fish, camp, hike or dove hunt, Clybel is probably a good WMA but way too many roads and public pressure to house turkeys IMO. Anyone else ever hunt THE PLACE?
Old 04-18-2018, 08:24 AM
Pintail is my best good chum

That sucks. I think they have a youth turkey hunt down there that a co worker use to take his son on. They killed one every year seemed like. He is too old now. People that are hunting Piedmont are crying the blues
"I've been working here for 44 years. Ain't nobody ever ordered nothing but a T-Bone steak and baked potato. Except one time, this @sshole from New York ordered a trout, back in 1987. We ain't got no g**d*mned trout".,
Old 04-18-2018, 09:11 AM
The ****in Slipknot \m/

THE PLACE used to be loaded with turkeys, deer too for that matter. The fishing has gone down hill some too.
Old 04-18-2018, 09:20 AM
Super Moderator Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Cruiser View Post
So 4 years of priority points got me a turkey hunt at Clybel. Scouted last weekend and saw zero sign of any birds having ever set foot on the 6400 acres. Place is beautiful though. Decently managed from a forestry and wildlife perspective as well. Monday was windy so went yesterday to give it a try. Not a gobble. Put 11 miles on the boots and never saw a track. I picked Clybel because it was close enough to drive to the morning of. Guess I'll start saving up for Piedmont now. If you like to fish, camp, hike or dove hunt, Clybel is probably a good WMA but way too many roads and public pressure to house turkeys IMO. Anyone else ever hunt THE PLACE?
Did the same thing you did. Wasted my points. Itís only 3 miles from my house. There were birds on it then. Heard a couple scouting. Apparently every other hunter heard them too.. Iíll never waste another point out there again.
Old 04-18-2018, 09:23 AM

My experience was a while back.. 2010 I think.
Old 04-18-2018, 12:24 PM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG View Post
THE PLACE used to be loaded with turkeys, deer too for that matter. The fishing has gone down hill some too.
I fished every one of those ponds and didn't get a bite.
Old 04-18-2018, 12:26 PM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckyT View Post
Did the same thing you did. Wasted my points. Itís only 3 miles from my house. There were birds on it then. Heard a couple scouting. Apparently every other hunter heard them too.. Iíll never waste another point out there again.
Such a big area of it is buildings, trails, water and roads. The dirt road is like a highway. Weird setup for sure.
Old 04-18-2018, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Such a big area of it is buildings, trails, water and roads. The dirt road is like a highway. Weird setup for sure.
It didnít use to be that way. I started fishing out there in 94 when it opened. Amazing was a understatement... You could fish every lake out there and catch a 5lber out of every lake or bigger every time you fished.

Itís more of a tourist attraction now... People go out to hike, jog, and ride horses on a daily basis. I can hear the firing range plain as day on a Saturday...

The walk around lakes are fished out.... I donít even go out there to fish anymore..... The only thing I still would do is bow hunt out there. Some big deer and a good population still. Iíll go out and squirrel hunt from time to time. Hell... it gets shot out for squirrels and rabbits now too.... Those guys with the treeing feists hit it up hard during squirrel season....

Atlanta has doubled in size and itís growing fast around there too...
Old 04-18-2018, 08:57 PM
THE PLACE Member

Never been there. I'm applying for River Creek again with 8 pts. I'm sure I will be rejected again
Old 04-19-2018, 07:08 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Piedmont doesn't require points and is handled via USFW. Talking to friends who hunted there last week said it was the worst in 10 years. Not sure where the birds went but they are there.
Old 04-19-2018, 07:38 AM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntfish View Post
Piedmont doesn't require points and is handled via USFW. Talking to friends who hunted there last week said it was the worst in 10 years. Not sure where the birds went but they are there.
That's what everyone is saying. Oh well.
Old 04-19-2018, 08:53 AM
The ****in Slipknot \m/

Well there's one less bird on Charlie Elliott. Big bird with 12" beard killed this morning.
Old 04-19-2018, 09:40 AM
Dammit Bobby

Quote:
Well there's one less bird on Charlie Elliott. Big bird with 12" beard killed this morning.
Who killed it? Buddy of yours?
Old 04-19-2018, 11:12 AM
The ****in Slipknot \m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatboy View Post
Who killed it? Buddy of yours?
dont know him. Saw it on fb
Old 04-19-2018, 11:13 AM
Dammit Bobby

Quote:
dont know him. Saw it on fb