The Outdoors Place  
THE PLACE Chat Room

Go Back   The Outdoors Place > Outdoors > Equipment
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2011, 05:56 AM
GO BEARS!

Default best chainsaw for $200 or under?

had a cheap Homelite that I bought 2 years ago from the outlet store in Commerce...it was a re-man...lasted two years. Just mainly do light duty work. branches, small trees, etc..not going to tackle a large whiteoak or anything like that...

whats the best chainsaw I can buy for $200 or under?
How 'bout them Yellow Jackets!!!!!!
Old 04-28-2011, 06:22 AM
THE PLACE Member

honestly Gris. I would get the best Stihl, Husquevarna, or Shindaiwa you can afford and it will last you WAY more than 2 years. I have not heard a good thing about the pulon or the homelites. I have heard the Echo's are decent also.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:29 AM
Wall Flower

I would look for a good used saw if my ceiling was $200. You could probably find one for that.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:38 AM
Well???

Got a Husquevarna chainsaw and blower 3 years ago and aint looked back... Put the extra $ with it or find a hot one at a pawn shop...
Old 04-28-2011, 07:38 AM
THE PLACE Member

Donnie Bailey at B&W Saws here in Wrens has usually got a good trade in Stihl for around that price.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:41 AM
THE PLACE Dumbazz

I have seen several good chainsaws in the pawn shops lately. I bought a stihl that wasn't hurt for $160 last year.
Damn....Phil will endorse anything. What next....Duck Commander Condoms? Magnum sized in Max-4 camo for when you want to boom boom boom with your Suzy without worrying about her raising a brood....Matt
Old 04-28-2011, 07:55 AM
I approve this message!

Most saws, even the cheaper ones, are good saws but have to be stored correctly for them to last. Back when I was doing some after hour lawn care and light tree work, I was using $99 Poulans and they made me alot of cash with little fuss. Biggest thing is when your done using it and you know it's going to be stored, dump all the gas out of it and run it dry. Gas these days I think is designed to go bad after a month and cause carb problems. Another thing is to use actual bar oil, not motor oil becasue it's cheaper. Bar oil is some sticky chit and will protect the bar tip where motor oil will be slung off before it ever reaches the tip.

With that said, I need to get off my arse and go prep the 3 Stihl 039 saws I've got in the shed just in case they call for crews to help with tornado clean up. Got a feeling atleast one of my crew will be heading north.

Nick T
737 since 2008 season
Bear Creek Tack Co. Pro Staff
Old 04-28-2011, 08:15 AM
Dammit Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBoy View Post
honestly Gris. I would get the best Stihl, Husquevarna, or Shindaiwa you can afford and it will last you WAY more than 2 years. I have not heard a good thing about the pulon or the homelites. I have heard the Echo's are decent also.

Echo sucks.... He kills too many deer and turkey.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:25 AM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_T View Post
Most saws, even the cheaper ones, are good saws but have to be stored correctly for them to last. Back when I was doing some after hour lawn care and light tree work, I was using $99 Poulans and they made me alot of cash with little fuss. Biggest thing is when your done using it and you know it's going to be stored, dump all the gas out of it and run it dry. Gas these days I think is designed to go bad after a month and cause carb problems. Another thing is to use actual bar oil, not motor oil becasue it's cheaper. Bar oil is some sticky chit and will protect the bar tip where motor oil will be slung off before it ever reaches the tip.

With that said, I need to get off my arse and go prep the 3 Stihl 039 saws I've got in the shed just in case they call for crews to help with tornado clean up. Got a feeling atleast one of my crew will be heading north.

Nick T
I have never done this with my stihl 029 and have hever had an issue
Old 04-28-2011, 08:40 AM
THE PLACE Member

I had a cheap Poulon Wild Thing for years and it worked great! I think it cost me $100 or so........worked great for 10 years......actually it still works but the oil tube is clogged.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:53 AM
Gator

i used to own a tree service. ran saws every day. my best climbing saw was an old green poulan. it was used every day on the job and ran fine for several years. dropped out of trees, just cleaned it once a week, took apart sprayed out with a air hose and put back together.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:17 AM
Well???

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBoy View Post
I have never done this with my stihl 029 and have hever had an issue
Your lucky...

Quote:
Originally Posted by boinky View Post
I had a cheap Poulon Wild Thing for years and it worked great! I think it cost me $100 or so........worked great for 10 years......actually it still works but the oil tube is clogged.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator View Post
i used to own a tree service. ran saws every day. my best climbing saw was an old green poulan. it was used every day on the job and ran fine for several years. dropped out of trees, just cleaned it once a week, took apart sprayed out with a air hose and put back together.
The older Poulans worked like champs. Family had a fire on property bout 30 years ago, they wanted to cut the trees themselves and haul to the pulp mill in Pearson. Uncle bought a poulan bow say and that was the baddest saw I ever saw In fact that saw now has a straight blade and still get worked from time to time... Not so sure about the newer ones...
Old 04-28-2011, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator Supervisor

My old man has a Craftsman Chainsaw he's had since 88. It has has never missed a beat.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:21 AM
Uncle BunBun

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterbean7008 View Post
Your lucky...

The older Poulans worked like champs. Family had a fire on property bout 30 years ago, they wanted to cut the trees themselves and haul to the pulp mill in Pearson. Uncle bought a poulan bow say and that was the baddest saw I ever saw In fact that saw now has a straight blade and still get worked from time to time... Not so sure about the newer ones...
That brings back memories. I raised money for college one summer using one of those to cut firewood off our property. Worked my butt off that summer. That saw was badazzzz!
Old 04-28-2011, 09:26 AM
Well???

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadhead View Post
That brings back memories. I raised money for college one summer using one of those to cut firewood off our property. Worked my butt off that summer. That saw was badazzzz!
You had to have your mind on business running that thing, it would bite you if you let it...