Quote:
Originally Posted by tanner boyzz View Post
summit
skipbo
Old 11-13-2009, 06:12 AM
Go dawgs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBoy View Post
how bout the chain on the grand slam? it has that shrink tape like chit around it...does that hold up?
They don't put that cheap wrap on them anymore...Its more of a hard plastic sleeve now....Holds up great....
Old 11-13-2009, 07:02 AM
THE PLACE Member

I have a Summit and an API.The API is more comfortable,but the Summit will get to the tree and back a whole lot quieter.
Old 11-13-2009, 08:50 AM
I'd rather be hunting

I own API's and I love them. As far as noisy, it is all in how you pack the stand to carry it in. Mine make no noise. I take the factory shrink wrap off of the chains and replace it myself with tubing from the hardware store. I just boil a pot of water and put the tubing in it to soften it. Once it is soft, I pull the chain through it. Once I drill the holes for the pins, I mark the top of the chain protruding from the stand with whiteout so there is no guesswork and fumbling where to put the pin.

Now, If I was about to buy a new stand, it would be between the Summit 180 and the treewalker like Gator has.
Old 11-13-2009, 08:57 AM
The ****in Slipknot \m/

I just got another Viper cause it was on sale and i love'em. API's are comfortable and not really that noisey. Would like the Treewalker also, there just a lil more expensive than Summits, but lighter.
Old 11-13-2009, 09:00 AM
Uncle BunBun

I have owned two API grand Slams and an API Buckhunter(?)(archery stand) for almost ten years.. Anyway I just bought a Viper Summit from a club member and will stick with Summit from now on. The stand is ten times more comfortable, much lighter and bites the tree much better. Go with the Summit Viper! Oh! and there are no pins to drop or lose.
Old 11-13-2009, 09:32 AM
THE PLACE Member

I've owned several different brands over the years and now I hunt out of Summits only. I have a Viper and 3 Goliaths.

With your height, I'd recommend the Goliath for the added leg room.

Gator swears by the Treewalker and if I ever get a chance to pick up a used one, I'll probably get on to try it.
Old 11-13-2009, 09:58 AM
The ****in Slipknot \m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator View Post
the dimensions speak for themselves....thats the reason i bought one. bigger, lighter, less chance at noise.............but the only advantage i see in the summits is the no pin system for putting on the tree. Treewalker still uses a pin through the hole in the cable....real easy but you stand the chance of possibly losing one i guess...
The pin wont go far. What a foot or two and its right there by the tree. Im waying the options, but damn they are a $100 dollars more than a Viper. The LT, chill pad + shipping $344. Viper on sale most of the time @$199
Old 11-13-2009, 10:05 AM
pointer1

I have two grand slams and two vipers and one ol' man...like them all but LOVE the Vipers when it comes to long sits....
Old 11-13-2009, 11:27 AM
Antler Addict

I have API Granslam, API Magnum, Buckshots, and Summit Vipers.
The new API's seats suck, very uncomfortable IMO. Not the way they made em in the early days. My API magnum is by far the most comfortable of this type of stand with its old seat, and roominess. But its heavy and bulky compared to the others so it is not my first choice for easily moving around the woods.

I LOVE my Buckshots, but thats because I leave them in one spot all year and climb super high in them. You can sit facing the tree or away and adjust the back pad for any angle you would like to sit, and you can prop up your feet and just relax in them like an easy chair. But they aren't the lightest stands and can be noisy if you are trying to assemble in the woods.

My SUMMIT is by far my #1 choice for my stands. It is light, locks together nicely and quietly to carry through the woods, and the cable locking on them is super simple, and quiet for hanging right before you hunt. They also have the MOST bite holding onto the tree of any stand I have ever owned. Once you are in position and you push your weight down one last time to hunt, they aren't moving. I have and do remove this stand from the tree in the mornings and move to another tree without upsetting anything in the woods. They are super quiet stands IMO. And I can sit in them all day if i choose to.
Old 11-13-2009, 04:35 PM
The ****in Slipknot \m/

TreeWalker ProMag LT on the way. Hell with it. Its only money
Old 11-13-2009, 04:36 PM
Pronounced "tanner boyzz"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG View Post
The pin wont go far. What a foot or two and its right there by the tree. Im waying the options, but damn they are a $100 dollars more than a Viper. The LT, chill pad + shipping $344. Viper on sale most of the time @$199

the pin will go far if you in a tree and make a last minute adjustment 30 feet up bye pin get ready to slide down
Old 11-13-2009, 06:31 PM
Etter1

I love my summit viper but it's a little heavy. I just love them because of the snakeable cable and comfort. The snakeable cable is the best system hands down. I have two other climbers that are much lighter, but they arent as comfortable and setting the pins is a good bit louder than the cable. Price is right too. Get them on sale after season. Dicks usually sells them for about 150
Old 11-13-2009, 10:00 PM
The ****in Slipknot \m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanner boyzz View Post
the pin will go far if you in a tree and make a last minute adjustment 30 feet up bye pin get ready to slide down
Only a tard would do that and that would suck
Old 11-15-2009, 07:12 AM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Farr View Post
I own API's and I love them. As far as noisy, it is all in how you pack the stand to carry it in. Mine make no noise. I take the factory shrink wrap off of the chains and replace it myself with tubing from the hardware store. I just boil a pot of water and put the tubing in it to soften it. Once it is soft, I pull the chain through it. Once I drill the holes for the pins, I mark the top of the chain protruding from the stand with whiteout so there is no guesswork and fumbling where to put the pin.

Now, If I was about to buy a new stand, it would be between the Summit 180 and the treewalker like Gator has.
You can't tell me those pins don't make any noise,metal on metal makes one hell of a racket in the woods @ 6 am.