The Outdoors Place  
THE PLACE Chat Room

Go Back   The Outdoors Place > Hunting > Everything Turkey
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2009, 12:36 AM
THE PLACE Member

Default Is it unethical

to shoot a roosted tom,you know who goes silent when he hits the ground,with a bow?
Old 02-25-2009, 03:02 AM
THE PLACE Member

I had 1 bird give me fits my first season.He would ALWAYS go the other direction from me.Peed me off.The last week end of the season,I decided I was gonna kill him in the tree.I crept up to the edge of the food plot and owl hooted,he gobbled from up on the ridge,like always.I eased thru the plot and into the woods towards him as he gobbled at crows and hens.I made it to about 50 yds of him and then realized, I'd much rather sit down and "play the game".I did,and like always with him,I lost.But I enjoyed it!!!!!I've never considered it again,yet.
Old 02-25-2009, 06:58 AM
Banned

You would have to be pretty darn good to slip up on a roosted gobbler with a bow unless it was pitch dark and you knew exactly which tree he was in and that would be tough in the dark.It is tempting when you've been beaten by one all season but thats the whole point of the game, to beat him at his own game.I probably would have approached him in the dark, called to him one time just to hear me, and then circled around behind him on the opposite side and sit down and wait for flydown.Hopefully he would do what you say he always did and fly down straight to me.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:00 AM
Holy Wah is right!

I've been tempted a couple of times but did not cave. Those birds will get in your head sometimes....although as stated before, I'm not opposed to calling in an airstrike by our armed forces to kill one. Yeah.....napalm will do.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:05 AM
THE PLACE Member

What is the difference between shooting a bedded down deer OR a roosting turkey?
Old 02-25-2009, 08:12 AM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
What is the difference between shooting a bedded down deer OR a roosting turkey?
If I was still hunting,I'd shoot the deer.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:45 AM
Resident Hardhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawg2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelin'Rick View Post
And, if I was hungry enough, I'd shoot the turkey.

I think it would take a good bit of stealth to get close enough to kill one of the roost. Would doing so make a person less of a hunter? No. Less of a caller maybe, but not less of a hunter (in the purest sense of the word).

I wouldn't care to shoot a roosted bird, but, then again, I've not ever been to the point that my next meal depended on my hunting success.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:50 AM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
You're more likely to piss the deer off than kill it with a shotgun full of 4's 5's, or 6's. The turkey on the other hand may just fall dead, that's the difference...poke:

Intentionally shooting a turkey from the limb is bad mojo and should be avoided. I never have and never will. I do know a person that has and he's more of an opportunist than a hunter, much like deer hunters would be when they killed turkey in the fall if there was a season.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:35 AM
THE PLACE Member

I wouldnt shoot a bird off the roost
Old 02-25-2009, 04:18 PM
THE PLACE Member

I wouldn't shoot a bird of roost either, but just never figured out what the deal is. You can shoot a bedded deer, but not a roosted bird. Seems about the same. I haven't shot a bedded deer either and just think it is ironic or maybe even hypocritical folks will shoot a bedded deer but not a turkey on roost. I don't really see the difference.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:38 PM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimbRooster View Post
You would have to be pretty darn good to slip up on a roosted gobbler with a bow unless it was pitch dark and you knew exactly which tree he was in and that would be tough in the dark.It is tempting when you've been beaten by one all season but thats the whole point of the game, to beat him at his own game.I probably would have approached him in the dark, called to him one time just to hear me, and then circled around behind him on the opposite side and sit down and wait for flydown.Hopefully he would do what you say he always did and fly down straight to me.
LOL I don't turkey hunt but have slipped up on them roosted and even had them roost in the tree beside me when deer hunting..... I could have taken them out anytime. I even had two birds fight in the tree beside me I guess they both wanted the same branch to sit on. To answer the question it's only a bird shoot the piss out of him and eat him no different then a dove or quail..
Old 02-25-2009, 04:39 PM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelin'Rick View Post
Please explain what the difference in still hunting a deer is then still hunting a turkey or do you run turkeys with a dog?
Old 02-25-2009, 04:43 PM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Wamer View Post
You're more likely to piss the deer off than kill it with a shotgun full of 4's 5's, or 6's. The turkey on the other hand may just fall dead, that's the difference...poke:

Intentionally shooting a turkey from the limb is bad mojo and should be avoided. I never have and never will. I do know a person that has and he's more of an opportunist than a hunter, much like deer hunters would be when they killed turkey in the fall if there was a season.
Please explain why or who the God is that makes it or says it is bad MoJo to shoot a bird on a limb? I guess those that think they are better then others look down there noses at those that shoot yard birds from branches. This is as funny as some of the baiting threads we see or dog hunting threads on these sites
Old 02-25-2009, 04:53 PM
Holy Wah is right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpman View Post
Please explain why or who the God is that makes it or says it is bad MoJo to shoot a bird on a limb? I guess those that think they are better then others look down there noses at those that shoot yard birds from branches.
Dennis, it's just people who consider themselves purist. I'm somewhat of a hybrid in that respect. I've had people say they wouldn't shoot them if they didn't strut or gobble. To that I say bull****! If you take that approach you'll miss out on some of the old daddies. The ones that come in silent usually have some respectable spurs. But nothing is concrete in turkey hunting. I do know one thing. I'm ready to stand on some necks!
Old 02-25-2009, 04:57 PM
Pintail is my best good chum

Quote:
I don't really see the difference.
there is no difference IMO but I raised that same question here and you wouldnt believe the chit I stirred up just from being curious.

I have no desire to shoot a turkey off the limb..........the best part of turkey hunting is calling one to the gun IMO but I dont really see a difference in shooting one off the limb over shooting a big buck that is bedded down.

same thing really.