The Outdoors Place  
THE PLACE Chat Room

Go Back   The Outdoors Place > Outdoors > Equipment
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 03-31-2013, 06:53 PM
jb's Avatar
jb jb is offline
Mean muggin
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Not in Ms.
Posts: 13,814
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG View Post
Were they cooler on your feet as opposed to the ab's.
No dumbass....they are rubber. I have the UA boots and this is my second turkey season with em. They are as good as the muck boots. Both are top quality rubber boots.
__________________
"if God wanted us to be vegans, He wouldn't have made animals out of meat". Ethan Brantley
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-31-2013, 07:12 PM
JamesG's Avatar
JamesG JamesG is offline
The ****in Slipknot \m/
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 35,263
Default

I ended up buying a pair of Rocky rubber boots at larrys four way last night. Comfortable and light hope they last longer than their snake boots.
__________________
Wallow in the winter of it,Discover what you truly covet,Underneath and far above it,You slither in all kinds of Shit
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-31-2013, 07:51 PM
BuckyT's Avatar
BuckyT BuckyT is offline
Super Moderator Supervisor
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newborn
Posts: 20,396
Default

I'll never wear rubber boots period for turkey hunting again... Too hot and nowadays I seem to literally put "miles" on boots. I bought a pair of Redhead zip up Bayou's that have actually surprised me. I've logged a boat load of miles on those boots and they have really treated me right. I have applied Sno-Seal a few times to condition the leather on them, and I believe that has helped the boots out.

Rubber boots are for deer hunting where I'm on a round trip path to a stand, and that's it for now on.
__________________
"Human footprints, I find, are always a disappointment in the wilderness, even when they are my own."
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-31-2013, 09:41 PM
broadhead's Avatar
broadhead broadhead is offline
Uncle BunBun
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Statesboro
Posts: 11,149
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckyT View Post
I'll never wear rubber boots period for turkey hunting again... Too hot and nowadays I seem to literally put "miles" on boots. I bought a pair of Redhead zip up Bayou's that have actually surprised me. I've logged a boat load of miles on those boots and they have really treated me right. I have applied Sno-Seal a few times to condition the leather on them, and I believe that has helped the boots out.

Rubber boots are for deer hunting where I'm not on a round trip path to a stand, and that's it for now on.
I hate snake boots. I usually wear hikers unless I'm hunting the drains.
__________________
It is pleasant to have been to a place the way a river went. - Thoreau ...
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-01-2013, 10:15 AM
snuffer
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadhead View Post
I hate snake boots. I usually wear hikers unless I'm hunting the drains.
i'm with you on that. i have owned several pair of lacrosse, and they all fell apart in short order. i have some mucks now. i really like them, but they arent quite as tall as the burlys were. much better foot support, though. i've never owned any snake boots, and probably wont. i do have some old timey chaps, that go from the knee down. they are too hot as well. i just watch my step heck, i've only been bit once in my life and it was a stupid mistake, made under the influence of some slick exotic substance. sometimes, i wear my hikers, knowing i'm going to get my feet wet. i'd rather be wet, than miserable in some snake boots. no way i could do 10 or 12 miles in those things
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 04-01-2013, 10:52 AM
BuckyT's Avatar
BuckyT BuckyT is offline
Super Moderator Supervisor
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newborn
Posts: 20,396
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffer View Post
i'm with you on that. i have owned several pair of lacrosse, and they all fell apart in short order. i have some mucks now. i really like them, but they arent quite as tall as the burlys were. much better foot support, though. i've never owned any snake boots, and probably wont. i do have some old timey chaps, that go from the knee down. they are too hot as well. i just watch my step heck, i've only been bit once in my life and it was a stupid mistake, made under the influence of some slick exotic substance. sometimes, i wear my hikers, knowing i'm going to get my feet wet. i'd rather be wet, than miserable in some snake boots. no way i could do 10 or 12 miles in those things
Snake boots don't bother me in the least.. I actually find them quite comfy. Logged I don't know how many miles wearing them on the blackbeard hunt and my feet were fine the entire time.

I am going to buy some good 7-8" hikers soon. Any recommendations Bun Bun and Snuff?
__________________
"Human footprints, I find, are always a disappointment in the wilderness, even when they are my own."
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-01-2013, 11:03 AM
ssramage's Avatar
ssramage ssramage is offline
THE PLACE Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: SSI
Posts: 15,287
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckyT View Post
Snake boots don't bother me in the least.. I actually find them quite comfy. Logged I don't know how many miles wearing them on the blackbeard hunt and my feet were fine the entire time.

I am going to buy some good 7-8" hikers soon. Any recommendations Bun Bun and Snuff?
My Danners are good, but after a long day of hiking I've had them wear blisters on my heels. I like the peace of mind they allow me though.
__________________
Should've got a crew cab...and a jon boat.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-01-2013, 11:29 AM
broadhead's Avatar
broadhead broadhead is offline
Uncle BunBun
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Statesboro
Posts: 11,149
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckyT View Post
Snake boots don't bother me in the least.. I actually find them quite comfy. Logged I don't know how many miles wearing them on the blackbeard hunt and my feet were fine the entire time.

I am going to buy some good 7-8" hikers soon. Any recommendations Bun Bun and Snuff?
I've owned The North Face and Keen hikers. Both performed great. Will probably go with Keen again. I've heard good things about Merrill, but never owned a pair. Don't scrimp on price. You definitely get what you pay for in a good pair of hikers.
__________________
It is pleasant to have been to a place the way a river went. - Thoreau ...
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 04-01-2013, 11:46 AM
BuckyT's Avatar
BuckyT BuckyT is offline
Super Moderator Supervisor
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newborn
Posts: 20,396
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadhead View Post
I've owned The North Face and Keen hikers. Both performed great. Will probably go with Keen again. I've heard good things about Merrill, but never owned a pair. Don't scrimp on price. You definitely get what you pay for in a good pair of hikers.
Thanks for the info!!
__________________
"Human footprints, I find, are always a disappointment in the wilderness, even when they are my own."
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 04-02-2013, 11:15 AM
Timber Cruiser Timber Cruiser is offline
THE PLACE Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 6,933
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG View Post
I ended up buying a pair of Rocky rubber boots at larrys four way last night. Comfortable and light hope they last longer than their snake boots.
They won't. Rocky's and LaCrosse are bad about disintegrating.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 04-02-2013, 11:15 AM
Timber Cruiser Timber Cruiser is offline
THE PLACE Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 6,933
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckyT View Post
Thanks for the info!!
Vasque makes a good hiker too.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 04-02-2013, 11:24 AM
JamesG's Avatar
JamesG JamesG is offline
The ****in Slipknot \m/
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 35,263
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Cruiser View Post
They won't. Rocky's and LaCrosse are bad about disintegrating.
Probably not, but so far im impressed with them. Very light and comphy, easy on easy off. and my feet didn't get hot.
__________________
Wallow in the winter of it,Discover what you truly covet,Underneath and far above it,You slither in all kinds of Shit
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 04-02-2013, 03:02 PM
snuffer
 
Posts: n/a
Default

bucky, what bun bun said, as well as the high end vasque. next pair i get will be the 300 dollah danner-lights...the ones that lace to the toe, and have a vibram sole.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 04-02-2013, 05:25 PM
BuckyT's Avatar
BuckyT BuckyT is offline
Super Moderator Supervisor
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newborn
Posts: 20,396
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffer View Post
bucky, what bun bun said, as well as the high end vasque. next pair i get will be the 300 dollah danner-lights...the ones that lace to the toe, and have a vibram sole.
I'll look at those too! I'm not afraid to drop some coin on quality equipment.
__________________
"Human footprints, I find, are always a disappointment in the wilderness, even when they are my own."
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 04-02-2013, 05:34 PM
ssramage's Avatar
ssramage ssramage is offline
THE PLACE Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: SSI
Posts: 15,287
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffer View Post
bucky, what bun bun said, as well as the high end vasque. next pair i get will be the 300 dollah danner-lights...the ones that lace to the toe, and have a vibram sole.
Why not just spend a little more and get Russels?
__________________
Should've got a crew cab...and a jon boat.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.