The Outdoors Place  
THE PLACE Chat Room

Go Back   The Outdoors Place > Outdoors > Equipment
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2013, 06:53 PM
Mean muggin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG View Post
Were they cooler on your feet as opposed to the ab's.
No dumbass....they are rubber. I have the UA boots and this is my second turkey season with em. They are as good as the muck boots. Both are top quality rubber boots.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:12 PM
The ****in Slipknot \m/

I ended up buying a pair of Rocky rubber boots at larrys four way last night. Comfortable and light hope they last longer than their snake boots.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:51 PM
Super Moderator Supervisor

I'll never wear rubber boots period for turkey hunting again... Too hot and nowadays I seem to literally put "miles" on boots. I bought a pair of Redhead zip up Bayou's that have actually surprised me. I've logged a boat load of miles on those boots and they have really treated me right. I have applied Sno-Seal a few times to condition the leather on them, and I believe that has helped the boots out.

Rubber boots are for deer hunting where I'm on a round trip path to a stand, and that's it for now on.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:41 PM
Uncle BunBun

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckyT View Post
I'll never wear rubber boots period for turkey hunting again... Too hot and nowadays I seem to literally put "miles" on boots. I bought a pair of Redhead zip up Bayou's that have actually surprised me. I've logged a boat load of miles on those boots and they have really treated me right. I have applied Sno-Seal a few times to condition the leather on them, and I believe that has helped the boots out.

Rubber boots are for deer hunting where I'm not on a round trip path to a stand, and that's it for now on.
I hate snake boots. I usually wear hikers unless I'm hunting the drains.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:15 AM
snuffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadhead View Post
I hate snake boots. I usually wear hikers unless I'm hunting the drains.
i'm with you on that. i have owned several pair of lacrosse, and they all fell apart in short order. i have some mucks now. i really like them, but they arent quite as tall as the burlys were. much better foot support, though. i've never owned any snake boots, and probably wont. i do have some old timey chaps, that go from the knee down. they are too hot as well. i just watch my step heck, i've only been bit once in my life and it was a stupid mistake, made under the influence of some slick exotic substance. sometimes, i wear my hikers, knowing i'm going to get my feet wet. i'd rather be wet, than miserable in some snake boots. no way i could do 10 or 12 miles in those things
Old 04-01-2013, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffer View Post
i'm with you on that. i have owned several pair of lacrosse, and they all fell apart in short order. i have some mucks now. i really like them, but they arent quite as tall as the burlys were. much better foot support, though. i've never owned any snake boots, and probably wont. i do have some old timey chaps, that go from the knee down. they are too hot as well. i just watch my step heck, i've only been bit once in my life and it was a stupid mistake, made under the influence of some slick exotic substance. sometimes, i wear my hikers, knowing i'm going to get my feet wet. i'd rather be wet, than miserable in some snake boots. no way i could do 10 or 12 miles in those things
Snake boots don't bother me in the least.. I actually find them quite comfy. Logged I don't know how many miles wearing them on the blackbeard hunt and my feet were fine the entire time.

I am going to buy some good 7-8" hikers soon. Any recommendations Bun Bun and Snuff?
Old 04-01-2013, 11:03 AM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Snake boots don't bother me in the least.. I actually find them quite comfy. Logged I don't know how many miles wearing them on the blackbeard hunt and my feet were fine the entire time.

I am going to buy some good 7-8" hikers soon. Any recommendations Bun Bun and Snuff?
My Danners are good, but after a long day of hiking I've had them wear blisters on my heels. I like the peace of mind they allow me though.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:29 AM
Uncle BunBun

Quote:

I've owned The North Face and Keen hikers. Both performed great. Will probably go with Keen again. I've heard good things about Merrill, but never owned a pair. Don't scrimp on price. You definitely get what you pay for in a good pair of hikers.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadhead View Post
I've owned The North Face and Keen hikers. Both performed great. Will probably go with Keen again. I've heard good things about Merrill, but never owned a pair. Don't scrimp on price. You definitely get what you pay for in a good pair of hikers.
Thanks for the info!!
Old 04-02-2013, 11:15 AM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG View Post
I ended up buying a pair of Rocky rubber boots at larrys four way last night. Comfortable and light hope they last longer than their snake boots.
They won't. Rocky's and LaCrosse are bad about disintegrating.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:15 AM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Thanks for the info!!
Vasque makes a good hiker too.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:24 AM
The ****in Slipknot \m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Cruiser View Post
They won't. Rocky's and LaCrosse are bad about disintegrating.
Probably not, but so far im impressed with them. Very light and comphy, easy on easy off. and my feet didn't get hot.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:02 PM
snuffer

bucky, what bun bun said, as well as the high end vasque. next pair i get will be the 300 dollah danner-lights...the ones that lace to the toe, and have a vibram sole.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:25 PM

Quote:
bucky, what bun bun said, as well as the high end vasque. next pair i get will be the 300 dollah danner-lights...the ones that lace to the toe, and have a vibram sole.
I'll look at those too! I'm not afraid to drop some coin on quality equipment.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:34 PM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Why not just spend a little more and get Russels?