The Outdoors Place  
THE PLACE Chat Room

Go Back   The Outdoors Place > General > The Sports Page
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2012, 06:55 PM
The other side

Default Teaching Cade how to Pitch??? Help

Ok....Cade is learning to Pitch and Baseball is NOT my game. I personally am bored to tears with it but my Boy loves it soooooo is there a Video training series or books that will help me help him?

Thanks for any assistance.

Bruz
Old 02-18-2012, 07:16 PM
hummyfried

you need to build him a mound in the backyard to start with.....his lead foot needs to be pointed at the target and dont let him learn sidearm....follow through and facing the target when through with the pitch....no curve balls till he gets at least 11-12 years old with good arm strength(he will ruin his arm)

practice , practice , practice , and more practice

do you need my credentials?i have no videos

i pitched from t-ball-farm league ball for the athletics

Last edited by HUMMDADDY : 02-18-2012 at 07:31 PM.
Old 02-18-2012, 07:29 PM
snuffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMMDADDY View Post
you need to build him a mound in the backyard to start with.....his lead foot needs to be pointed at the target and dont let him learn sidearm....follow through and facing the target when through with the pitch....no curve balls till he gets at least 11-12 years old with good arm strength(he will ruin his arm)

practice , practice , practice , and more practice
good sound advice. my arm was trashed from throwing junk at an early age. trick balls are best left out til later in high school. get him to concentrate on control, and dont worry about speed or tricks...just accuracy
Old 02-18-2012, 07:30 PM
Super Moderator Supervisor

Hummy had some good sound advice.

First thing is first I guess. Can he at least play catch with you?

He has to at least know how to throw and catch the ball.

Just don't know what stage of the game he's in at moment.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:10 PM
hummyfried

make sure you measure exact distance he will be pitching from mound to home plate...make it as real as possible ....put it in a place where you will be able to rebuild everything as his distance changes over the years...put in a plate so he knows how to paint the edges as he gains accuracy ....he should never aim the ball , it should just be a fluid motion

Last edited by HUMMDADDY : 02-18-2012 at 08:12 PM.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:21 PM
hummyfried

being you will be the one catching him all the time you will know his limits ,and learn what he is doing wrong ,or different from usual by watching him...so at the games sit behind the catcher and watch him and talk to him during the game if you see something in his motion ,let him know it....you will be just as much in the game as he is ....alot of this will come as he gets a little older and under much more control , but it will make a big difference in his game....

Last edited by HUMMDADDY : 02-18-2012 at 08:43 PM.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:26 PM
hummyfried

i don't know why i'm even trying...he has never spoken to me anyway
Old 02-18-2012, 08:29 PM
THE PLACE Member

I know nothing about pitching except if he is a lefty with a good change up and curveball he has a bright future A friend of mine who pitched for Kennesaw st said that he used a shot put ball in his backyard every day to help his arm strength. He went from throwing around 82 to low 90s in just a few years
Old 02-18-2012, 10:41 PM
Dammit Bobby

Hummy Has great advice.

All I would add is that his power will come from his legs and balance. As he prepares to head to the plate, teher should be a turn where his foot is in front of the rubber and he should be bent at the knee and balancing on one leg with the arm in position ready to throw with the elbow up, then drive towards the plate having his lead leg in line with his target and coming overhand from a power postition (as if throwing an overhand punch).

I wasn't a pitcher but I caught and listened to a lot of sessions from my coach working with the pitchers both at school and at camps. Oh and here are his credentials.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m.../ai_n15784092/

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...endlbo01.shtml
Old 02-18-2012, 11:22 PM
freakin' idiot

I would suggest videoing him and sitting down with him and watching the video. He'll enjoy seeing himself throw, and you can look at his mechanics. I always had my pitchers visualize energy transfer from joint to joint starting from the toe on the post leg up through the ankle to the knee to the hips to the shoulders to the elbow to the wrist and out the fingers to the ball.

One very easy thing to tell him and for him to visualize and do at his age is to drive his front hip to the target while keeping his head above his back hip. This keeps his body in line and helps to keep him from lunging his upper body to the target before he plants.
Speaking of....the plant foot should NOT point toward the target. This usually results in causing the hips to fly open and losing all the drive from the lower body, which will result in arm problems down the road. I've always read that the plant foot should be around 45 degrees.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:03 AM
The other side

He can catch my fast throws so playing catch isnt an issue.

He is very accurate but lack velocity....He pitched from a mound for the first time today and was throwing short as he adjusted to following through on a slope...He threw 20 and we stopped...Gonna throw 20 tomorrow as well.

Bruz
Old 02-19-2012, 12:09 AM
freakin' idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruz View Post
He can catch my fast throws so playing catch isnt an issue.

He is very accurate but lack velocity....He pitched from a mound for the first time today and was throwing short as he adjusted to following through on a slope...He threw 20 and we stopped...Gonna throw 20 tomorrow as well.

Bruz
One more thing....long toss is the best thing a pitcher (or any baseball player) can do to condition his arm.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:40 AM
The other side

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadoff View Post
One more thing....long toss is the best thing a pitcher (or any baseball player) can do to condition his arm.
Thanks for all the input Gentlemen. I will video tomorrow and post links since Fatty still hasnt fixed the embedding issue with Photobucket.

Bruz
Old 02-19-2012, 02:17 AM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy View Post
Hummy Has great advice.

All I would add is that his power will come from his legs and balance. As he prepares to head to the plate, teher should be a turn where his foot is in front of the rubber and he should be bent at the knee and balancing on one leg with the arm in position ready to throw with the elbow up, then drive towards the plate having his lead leg in line with his target and coming overhand from a power postition (as if throwing an overhand punch).

I wasn't a pitcher but I caught and listened to a lot of sessions from my coach working with the pitchers both at school and at camps. Oh and here are his credentials.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m.../ai_n15784092/

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...endlbo01.shtml

Bobby coached at Tattnall Academy in Macon when I was a youngster !!!
Old 02-19-2012, 05:03 AM
hummyfried

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadoff View Post
very true .....you might want to explain for him