The Outdoors Place  
THE PLACE Chat Room

Go Back   The Outdoors Place > Hunting > Sporting Dogs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2017, 09:09 PM
THE PLACE Member

Default Need some advice

7 months ago my daughter bought a German Shepperd with her own money she worked for. As I was expecting since school has started back she has lost some interest in the dog and now my wife and I are stuck with it.(knew this was going to happen and was against getting another dog) The dog has been through 2 weeks of obedience training and was much better when he came home. He is crated at night which is good but this dog never gets tired. At night he gets real rambunctious even after getting worked with a good bit during the day. How can we get this dog to stop acting crazy in the eve? He has OCD and I can throw the ball for him 1000 times and he will not stop. Then when I do he will get up in my face and bark until I throw the ball again. Also, what's the best way to train him not to jump onto people who comes over when he gets excited. He gets along great with everyone but jumping up on folks needs to stop. Any input is appreciated
Old 09-28-2017, 06:39 AM
THE PLACE Member

Swift knees to the chest when he jumps on folks.
Old 09-28-2017, 07:12 AM
Super Moderator Supervisor

I have a 4.5 month old German Shepherd. You can't change what he is Kevin. German Shepherds have tons of energy. It has to bled off. I've got a 9yr old and a 5yr old that help out with that though. Lol. As for the jumping, I give my dog a push back down and a "Ehh" command. "Ehh" means no. I don't tell him no. Now if he runs up to me and I see he wants to jump, I say "ehh", and he doesn't. He's almost broke of the habit.

They are highly intelligent and will let an idiot like me train em. Lol!

You have to simply take some time with him.

Also, get him all the toys he can handle. My Shepherd will chew, chew, chew, and freaking chew! Never seen anything like it. It's another way he's getting rid of energy. When he grabs a shoe or something he isn't suppose to, I don't yell at him. I walk over, tell him to "release", and trade the shoe out for a toy.

We are close to having him not get things he's not suppose to. He's a sneaky and cunning shit though. Lol! He knows when he's doing wrong. But... he hasn't destroyed nothing in the house yet.

He's fully crate trained now. Heck, he goes to it without being told to now.

Get your dog leash trained and take him out for some walks Kevin.

I think if you spend more time with him, he will calm down. He's probably just craving attention.
Old 09-28-2017, 08:07 AM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckyT View Post
I have a 4.5 month old German Shepherd. You can't change what he is Kevin. German Shepherds have tons of energy. It has to bled off. I've got a 9yr old and a 5yr old that help out with that though. Lol. As for the jumping, I give my dog a push back down and a "Ehh" command. "Ehh" means no. I don't tell him no. Now if he runs up to me and I see he wants to jump, I say "ehh", and he doesn't. He's almost broke of the habit.

They are highly intelligent and will let an idiot like me train em. Lol!

You have to simply take some time with him.

Also, get him all the toys he can handle. My Shepherd will chew, chew, chew, and freaking chew! Never seen anything like it. It's another way he's getting rid of energy. When he grabs a shoe or something he isn't suppose to, I don't yell at him. I walk over, tell him to "release", and trade the shoe out for a toy.

We are close to having him not get things he's not suppose to. He's a sneaky and cunning shit though. Lol! He knows when he's doing wrong. But... he hasn't destroyed nothing in the house yet.

He's fully crate trained now. Heck, he goes to it without being told to now.

Get your dog leash trained and take him out for some walks Kevin.

I think if you spend more time with him, he will calm down. He's probably just craving attention.
The wife walks him most mornings but the days she doesn't he' s wild during the day and eve. I will try the ehhh command when he jumps on folks. He loves to sneak into the cats area and eat his food when we are not looking. And no self is too high for him to reach. LoL
Old 09-28-2017, 08:22 AM

If he jumps push him down, say "ehh" and make him sit. If he keeps trying to jump, keep doing this till he complies and just sits there.
Old 09-28-2017, 08:24 AM

Hopefully he will just walk up to you in the future and sit if he wants something. My pup lets out a funky little growl/bark now. Lol. He'll punch me in the shin with his paw too.. lol. But he's not jumping hardly at all now.
Old 09-28-2017, 08:37 AM

There is a professional dog trainer around here too Quicky. Lmao
Old 09-28-2017, 09:53 AM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckyT View Post
There is a professional dog trainer around here too Quicky. Lmao
The trainer we used said Ansel was a drama queen. LoL He whines and grunts a lot when he wants something
Old 09-28-2017, 09:53 AM
The ****in Slipknot \m/

If all else fails take a belt to his azz
Old 09-28-2017, 10:19 AM
THE PLACE Member

.22 and a shovel

"Money buys bucks and tits" jb
You can't spell SPOILED without OIL
Old 09-28-2017, 10:21 AM
THE PLACE Member

Are you giving him commands in German? They don't speak English...
Old 09-28-2017, 11:13 AM
Pintail is my best good chum

"I've been working here for 44 years. Ain't nobody ever ordered nothing but a T-Bone steak and baked potato. Except one time, this @sshole from New York ordered a trout, back in 1987. We ain't got no g**d*mned trout".,
Old 09-28-2017, 11:15 AM
Pintail is my best good chum

In all seriousness, no, Im not saying just strap a E collar on and start mushing buttons. I do see a lot of Police K9s wearing them now so they have all been conditioned to one. Ive let Allies standards fall a little but still, she is a TOTALLY different dog with her collar on, even though it aint working right

A GS dog is a working dog. VERY full of energy. Even moreso than most Labs. They have to have something to do. Two weeks isnt not long enough for formal OB in my opinion but Im certainly no dog trainer.

Allie jumped up when she was young. Mysteriously once she came back from 90 days of boot camp, she no longer did that shit

You need a pro trainer.
"I've been working here for 44 years. Ain't nobody ever ordered nothing but a T-Bone steak and baked potato. Except one time, this @sshole from New York ordered a trout, back in 1987. We ain't got no g**d*mned trout".,
Old 09-30-2017, 05:29 AM
Mean muggin

Don't be nice to him. Don't be a passy. Knee to the chest and slap the shit out of him. And none of thesis ehhh ugh nonsense. You want something that a dog will understand if some other kid comes over and he starts jumping. Will that kid know to say ehhh (which is gay as shit by the way). How's about NO? Everybody knows NO, and he needs to have a certain amount of fear when you say it (no means no, and don't overuse it for arbitrary bullshit). Make it a command. Make him know you are the alpha male (if you are)
Old 09-30-2017, 05:34 AM
THE PLACE Member

Ehhhh. Meh. Uggghh