The Outdoors Place  
THE PLACE Chat Room

Go Back   The Outdoors Place > General > Shooting The Bull
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2019, 06:21 PM
THE PLACE Member

Default Kind of dumb of me

You guys know that I ain't too bashful about pulling the trigger and over my hunting career, I have killed 250 +/- a few deer.

Out of all of those deer, I had never killed a deer with a double throat patch until a couple days back. I had 2 groups of does coming in with about 8-10 in each group, one group from my right and one from behind me and they were converging on a line of corn down a thicket.

My plan was to kill at least one and more if I could. The group to the right was still 120 yards or so and being led by a doe that I noticed had a lot of white down the neck.

Anyway, the group from behind made it to the corn line and spread out but immediately got nervous, so I took aim and dropped a big nanny and at the shot, deer went in all directions. I focused to the right and that group was confused, so I picked out a huge doe that was quartering a bit at what turned out to be about 170 yards. I climbed on down and made my way down the fire break and found the old doe right off the edge of the firebreak.

When I got to her, I saw it was the double throat patch deer, I took a pic and was planning to take a couple later.

Ended up skinning the does after supper and forgot the pics.

So, after murdering lots and lots of deer over the years and only killing one with a double white patch, these are the best pics that I ended up taking, the doe by itself and the one on bottom.

Just for reference, the does weighed 126 and 138 live weight
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dpdoe.jpg (35.4 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg doe 1.jpg (24.4 KB, 80 views)
Old 01-02-2020, 01:16 PM
THE PLACE Member

Way to go Timmy 6s.
Old 01-02-2020, 02:17 PM
THE PLACE Member

Looks like a regular doe to me. Guess you'll have to kill another 250.
Old 01-02-2020, 05:40 PM
Mean muggin

So what was dumb of you? Killing a deer with a double throat patch? Not taking pics? Is there a reason behind not wanting to kill one or are you saying it's rare to kill one?
Old 01-02-2020, 06:21 PM
THE PLACE Member

Not taking a decent picture. They aren't rare unless I am hunting them, first one that I have ever seen hunting.

Some areas, they are common, but never around me
Old 01-06-2020, 03:24 PM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Cruiser View Post
You kill the shit out of 'em that's for sure. You get your gun calendar brother?
Yes sir, it was in the mailbox when I got home. I hope for my numbers to hit once a week
Old 01-09-2020, 07:32 PM
THE PLACE Member

Timmy how many deer you going to eat this year? LoL
Old 01-09-2020, 09:41 PM
THE PLACE Member

We eat several a year and I give some away.

It's hard to really understand the herd down there. I/we killed 16 does on 2 trips and that might seem like a lot of deer, but when we left on New Year's Eve, there had only been 40 (1 buck) deer killed on 9000+ acres. I'm sure there have been a few more killed since then, but very few. Only one of the workers was even hunting while we were down.

Now, think of these numbers, 40 deer on 14+ square miles of land with a third of that in agriculture and the vast majority of the rest of the land being thick bedding cover.

We hunted from the 26th to the 31st and all the mornings except the last one sucked ass due to the weather (hot, humid and rainy). During my time on stand (around green fields in the evenings), I saw at least 100 deer with 90% being does and fawns.

Same with the guys with me, if they hunted evening fields or close to them, they would average 25 deer an evening and it was every green field we sat and most of them, you could only see maybe 400-500 yards and we could never see every piece of any field.

One evening, my buddy Chad (his first trip there) sat on a field and saw 40+ deer including one "huge" buck and his Dad sat across the field from him completely out of sight from each other and not able to see the same deer, and he saw 25+ deer.

This time of year when only about 1 of every 3 fields has a green cover crop, the deer are in big herds and all over the fields at dark.

From the looks of the population and lack of hunting this year, THE PLACE is going to be really covered in deer next year. I just hope it never sells
Old 01-10-2020, 09:44 PM
THE PLACE Member

Only 1 buck killed on that amount of land is wild. There must be a ton of bucks on that place! Can you imagine if that place was bow only LoL
Old 01-10-2020, 10:20 PM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickdraw View Post
Only 1 buck killed on that amount of land is wild. There must be a ton of bucks on that place! Can you imagine if that place was bow only LoL
It is for bucks, does are any weapon, but bucks are bow only with the exception of a kid or wife's first buck, but after that, they are bow only too.

That is with the exception of the land owner's family, they don't have any rules to follow, but they only deer hunt a couple of weekends a year
Old 01-10-2020, 10:27 PM
THE PLACE Member

With baiting legal and as many does as they have, I could kill a limit of does with my bow without much problem.

It's just much easier, quicker and cheaper to shoot them with a rifle. I still greatly enjoy the smell of burnt gunpowder. I'm pretty much over the whole "it's more thrilling to kill one with bow", a dead deer is still dead and the tracking is easier with a rifle.

Now, hunting/shooting a buck is still better with a bow, but a doe is just a deer to me.
Old 01-12-2020, 07:48 AM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Cruiser View Post
Yours and mine both!
I plan on winning this year.