The Outdoors Place  
THE PLACE Chat Room

Go Back   The Outdoors Place > General > The Sports Page
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2015, 06:26 AM
THE PLACE Member

Default Falcons new head coach

I am leaning toward seattles DC right now, I guess if they take Chucky I would want to keep Dirk Cutter. I heard Rex does not even go to the offensive meetings at all. I think our offense is ranked 10th in the league. They just need a young big durable running back and a lineman or two.
Old 01-07-2015, 08:26 AM
Antler Addict

I have a problem with this entire process. It drives me crazy we are to entice someone to come coach here. Screw that, I want someone who wants to be here, regardless of what we give them. I guess big companies go after their CEO or other top official and entice them into the position, but how can you expect to get the best out of someone who you talked in with perks and begging? I'd rather have the guy for ME and not the guy the rest of the NFL thinks is the best available.

And all this bad talk on guys who didn't get it done in one spot in their last job...means nothing to me. Situations suck, some are good, some are bad and instead of grabbing a guy who needs to learn on the job, how about we get a guy who already learned on the job and figured out what wouldn't work.

I say Rex gets the job and Dirk Cutter stays in place. I wish we could hire both Rex and Josh McDaniels from NE.

Keep in mind...Rex and Mike Smith were both interviewed 7 years back before the Falcons and Jets jobs were filled. They were the final 2 candidates. Arthur wanted Rex but Dmitroff talked him into Mike Smith.

All this talk about the offensive and defensive coordinators at other programs has me confused about the goal as well. If you look at Seattle and NE...one is great for their Defense the other because of their offense...by focusing on their respective coordinators aren't we omitting the input of the head coaches there? So no matter which gets hired, if a shitty coordinator is brought in the coach loses his job. It doesn't add up.

Only in the NFL, the highest level of football on the planet, do we hire the top position of the team with absolutely no head coaching experience. Drives me crazy...hey, lets see if this guy can cut it, after all we can do this again in 5 years.
Old 01-07-2015, 08:54 AM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GThunter View Post
I have a problem with this entire process. It drives me crazy we are to entice someone to come coach here. Screw that, I want someone who wants to be here, regardless of what we give them. I guess big companies go after their CEO or other top official and entice them into the position, but how can you expect to get the best out of someone who you talked in with perks and begging? I'd rather have the guy for ME and not the guy the rest of the NFL thinks is the best available.

And all this bad talk on guys who didn't get it done in one spot in their last job...means nothing to me. Situations suck, some are good, some are bad and instead of grabbing a guy who needs to learn on the job, how about we get a guy who already learned on the job and figured out what wouldn't work.

I say Rex gets the job and Dirk Cutter stays in place. I wish we could hire both Rex and Josh McDaniels from NE.

Keep in mind...Rex and Mike Smith were both interviewed 7 years back before the Falcons and Jets jobs were filled. They were the final 2 candidates. Arthur wanted Rex but Dmitroff talked him into Mike Smith.

All this talk about the offensive and defensive coordinators at other programs has me confused about the goal as well. If you look at Seattle and NE...one is great for their Defense the other because of their offense...by focusing on their respective coordinators aren't we omitting the input of the head coaches there? So no matter which gets hired, if a shitty coordinator is brought in the coach loses his job. It doesn't add up.

Only in the NFL, the highest level of football on the planet, do we hire the top position of the team with absolutely no head coaching experience. Drives me crazy...hey, lets see if this guy can cut it, after all we can do this again in 5 years.

Hire Mike Smith back then. He should know better than anyone what won't work in Atl.

I agree with getting whoever you think it is the best fit for your system instead of who everyone else thinks should be a head coach.

There are plenty of assistant coaches that took head coaching jobs and did great. Holmgren, McCarry, John Harbauch.............

As well as fired head coaches that took over other teams and did great. Carrol, Reid, Belichick.............

Just got to hire whoever YOU think best fits what YOU are trying to do if you are an owner.
Old 01-07-2015, 09:09 AM
Antler Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff View Post
Hire Mike Smith back then. He should know better than anyone what won't work in Atl.

I agree with getting whoever you think it is the best fit for your system instead of who everyone else thinks should be a head coach.

There are plenty of assistant coaches that took head coaching jobs and did great. Holmgren, McCarry, John Harbauch.............

As well as fired head coaches that took over other teams and did great. Carrol, Reid, Belichick.............

Just got to hire whoever YOU think best fits what YOU are trying to do if you are an owner.
Smith's firing was more about a mentality change in the locker room I believe. Soft is soft, and the coaches personality came out in this team.

Part of what must be the weighing factor in all of this is which direction do you want to go? DO you want a Defensive minded genius who can do more with less on the defensive side of the ball...or do you want an offensive minded genius who will maximize the output from your $20+ million dollar man? Like I said...screw having a head coach, hire two coordinators and let em lead their squads. LOL What does the HC do anyway?? Delegate? Kinda pointless if the coordinators dictate how the teams do...and that is the message you get when you go to Seattle for their DC and NE for their OC. Kinda saying Carrol and Belichick don't do jack for the success of the team.
Old 01-07-2015, 04:16 PM
THE PLACE Member

I think the more important coaches are defensive and offensive coordinators. Looksl like the the only way Ryan comes to Atlanta is DC based on how the 5hr interview went. Said his next interview is contingent upon who is hired as head coach. Guess you save money by hiring no one with head coaching experience and maybe get lucky. Blank has the cash, he should hire the Best guy for Atlanta

Just read Wills post.LoL I AGREE
Old 01-07-2015, 06:34 PM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickdraw View Post
I think the more important coaches are defensive and offensive coordinators. Looksl like the the only way Ryan comes to Atlanta is DC based on how the 5hr interview went. Said his next interview is contingent upon who is hired as head coach. Guess you save money by hiring no one with head coaching experience and maybe get lucky. Blank has the cash, he should hire the Best guy for Atlanta

Just read Wills post.LoL I AGREE
Will cosell got game, and he's right about Blank has coin. And it will be hit and miss any way you look at it. I know we need a big fast running back and a offensive lineman and a good one.Then think totally defense pass rushers for sure. Willie mo and Trufant.,Alford will work if we get the pass rushers and a real good line.

Oh yea we really need Matt Bryant
Old 01-08-2015, 07:04 PM
THE PLACE Member

I hear Rex is coming back for a 2nd interview , I am guessing they are talking money and control. Dimitrof might be a little nervous
Old 01-08-2015, 07:19 PM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngabowhunter View Post
I hear Rex is coming back for a 2nd interview , I am guessing they are talking money and control. Dimitrof might be a little nervous
I m just not sold on Rex. His Jets teams suxed other than 1 year
Old 01-08-2015, 07:28 PM
Antler Addict

I don't think it's Rex at this point. The restructuring they did just took away talent scout and draft decisions from Dmitroff. Basically spit in his face. We loved the way you worked the office and technical stuff, and handle the salary cap...but your eye for talent sucks. If you want to keep your job, we are giving half of your job to someone else.

They would have hired Rex on Tuesday after that interview. I am venturing a wager they know who their coach will be. Gotta get the legwork out of the way before NE gets knocked out and you hand the keys over to Josh McDaniels to take your 20 mil man Matt Ryan to the next level.

If Josh is handed the keys and they can land Sexy Rexy as the Defensive coordinator...things could get real in the ATL and quick!!

Last edited by GThunter : 01-08-2015 at 07:33 PM.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:42 PM
Antler Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngabowhunter View Post
Will cosell got game, and he's right about Blank has coin. And it will be hit and miss any way you look at it. I know we need a big fast running back and a offensive lineman and a good one.Then think totally defense pass rushers for sure. Willie mo and Trufant.,Alford will work if we get the pass rushers and a real good line.

Oh yea we really need Matt Bryant
The defense needs a QB...we have no stand alone badass line backer who runs the show. Everyone on this team has some game...as a supporting actor. We need the lead actor so these 2nd tier guys don't have to shoulder so much. FA veteran is where it will have to come from. If we want a quick fix.

1 other O-Lineman, a BIG RB from late in the draft and everything else comes on the D-Line. There are some great DEs coming out of college this year, at 8 we should land 1 and then decision time at 40 for LB, DL or OT.

People hate him, but Ray Rice will be cheap as dirt next season and he is a very serviceable power runner. Incognito is out there easily to be picked too...he can play.
Old 01-08-2015, 08:07 PM
THE PLACE Member

Will I think if we get Rex , we should stick with Dirk Cutter. Ray rice is a little slow right? I really would like someone that can pop it up thru there Very quickly, I am sure incognito can fit in with all the positions, I am sure he would be cheap also.
Old 01-08-2015, 08:26 PM
iHonk

Cutters gone to Tampa.
Old 01-08-2015, 08:29 PM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PintailM2 View Post
Cutters gone to Tampa.
I had not heard that, I think he was pretty solid, he could not block for Matty ice? Heck I thought he was still under contract

Last edited by ngabowhunter : 01-08-2015 at 08:32 PM.
Old 01-08-2015, 08:36 PM
Antler Addict

This is new news...I had not seen this either...good! Time to make room for the real deal. One thing is for sure, Arthur wants (and NEEDS) a championship in ATL. Time to see if he can put the final pieces together to make it happen.

And its Dirk Koetter...I spelled it wrong earlier too.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:01 PM
THE PLACE Member

The defensive end from Fl is a stud and will go first rd for sure. But as mentioned there are some big guys with great speed and quickness in the draft this year. I'd like to get 1 at least and a outside LB. I think the corners will be ok. Can't wait to hear head coaching decisions and then watch how the draft unfolds! Hope and Change is what we need. Sound familiar LoL