The Outdoors Place  
THE PLACE Chat Room

Go Back   The Outdoors Place > Shooting > Archery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2008, 12:07 PM
Dammit Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixes View Post
I would assume that if your shooting a 29" draw, then you need to go to a proshop and have it adjusted, unless you have unnaturally long arms.

I'm 6' and shoot a 29" draw.

Proper draw length is of the utmost importance in consistent shooting. You should never move your head from the natural head up straight on looking, the more natural your head position, the more accurate and consistent you will be. My guess is that your nocking point is somewhere around or behind your ear, which is too long.

I don't know how tall you are, but I would think your draw length should not be over 27", that should "be just about RIFLE" (you have guns on the brain)
Good point....A too long draw length will ead to inconsistent results.

I've always been told you would rather it be a little short than too long....
Old 01-23-2008, 12:08 PM
Luna Tic.

Nic.. Your overdrawn on your bow. That is the first problem.. I dont know of any women archers shooting a 29" draw.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:08 PM
Dawn2Dusk

My whole reason for never shooting field tips. I just practice with my broadheads and when I get ready to hunt, I break out a new set of broadheads exactly like the ones I practice with and hit the woods.

Works for me...
Old 01-23-2008, 12:10 PM
Luna Tic.

Another thing Nic.. You will be suprised at how fast your ability to draw more weight on a bow will increase just by practice. The muscles you use in drawing a bow are probably the most dormant muscles you have in your body..
Old 01-23-2008, 12:10 PM
Luna Tic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn2Dusk View Post
My whole reason for never shooting field tips. I just practice with my broadheads and when I get ready to hunt, I break out a new set of broadheads exactly like the ones I practice with and hit the woods.

Works for me...
That is the best way to do it.. I do the same thing with my hunting bow. Broad heads only.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:11 PM
Dawn2Dusk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. View Post
Another thing Nic.. You will be suprised at how fast your ability to draw more weight on a bow will increase just by practice. The muscles you use in drawing a bow are probably the most dormant muscles you have in your body..
That's the TRUTH... But if you were talking to Tampaspicer you would have to revamp your post and say; "It's the 2nd least MUSCLE used" in his body...
LMAO!
Old 01-23-2008, 12:14 PM
On the road to nowhere

Quote:
Nic.. Your overdrawn on your bow. That is the first problem.. I dont know of any women archers shooting a 29" draw.
note though, the eggplant was me hyperextending my arm while shooting the day before, OUCH!!! I didnt do that again

Old 01-23-2008, 12:15 PM
On the road to nowhere

Quote:
yeah, I'm a bit of a weaking at the moment, I need to find someone who needs some hay bales moved
Old 01-23-2008, 12:17 PM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Her1911 View Post
note though, the eggplant was me hyperextending my arm while shooting the day before, OUCH!!! I didnt do that again

Thanks for making my point: Draw length is at least 2 inches too long and probably 3.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:21 PM
On the road to nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixes View Post
Thanks for making my point: Draw length is at least 2 inches too long and probably 3.
how can you tell that????
Old 01-23-2008, 12:26 PM
Luna Tic.

Nicole.. Your way too long.. Your arm should never be that straight while shooting..It takes away a lot of control in the stability of the bow. Get rid of the quiver while shooting. Save it for your actual hunting practice. You gotta be able to shoot first. I am not gonna even tell ya what that grip on the bow looks like.. Your release hand however looks like its holding on for dear life.. A lot of tension on the release side is not good. Your body is in a very un natural position in that photo.. Your having to force the shooting position to fit it to the bow.. That should never happen. Gimme about an hour and a bow that fits ya and I can promise you will shoot as if you have shot for years.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:28 PM
Luna Tic.

For someone over extended on draw length they will always get burnt on the fore arm by the bow string. In your case.. You are way over extended.. Your burn is almost to the elbow.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:29 PM
On the road to nowhere

well then see I told yall I needed help!!!

LT, that position may look unnatural, but it feels perfectly fine to me..Nathan said something about it too, but if I try and change it, my whole balance gets all out of whack...
Old 01-23-2008, 12:30 PM
On the road to nowhere

Quote:
For someone over extended on draw length they will always get burnt on the fore arm by the bow string. In your case.. You are way over extended.. Your burn is almost to the elbow.
yeah, I hyerextended my elbow with the position of my hand wrong. I fixed that and it didnt happen again...

At least I didnt drop the bow when it happened, which is what Nathan did when he shot friends bow and got zinged
Old 01-27-2008, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator Supervisor

I think your draw length is 2-3" off myself. When your fully drawn you should be anchored up right at the corner of your mouth.

Relax your hand on the grip too!! That wrist strap is there for a purpose. You want the only contact on that grip to be in the pocket of your thumb and index finger.

RELAX!!!

Basically the way I see it is your not even holding on to the bow. The tension created when your fully drawn is holding the bow in the pocket of your hand. When you release, the wrist strap is there to keep the bow from jumping out of the pocket, the bow should just fall forward after the shot.

Your left arm should be slightly bent. Not a straight out locked up elbow.

It's all about relaxation and focusing completely on your target.

I'm not a 3D guru, and I can't get technical like LT and some of the others on here, but I've been shooting bows for a while too!!

Take everyones advice and shorten up the draw length a bit and work on some of the techniques stated on this thread.

You will shoot better!!!!

BuckyT