The Outdoors Place  
THE PLACE Chat Room

Go Back   The Outdoors Place > Shooting > Archery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2008, 11:30 AM
On the road to nowhere

Question How much of a difference

can I expect when I shoot broadheads vs field tips?
Old 01-23-2008, 11:38 AM
Dawn2Dusk

There is "NO EXACT" science to get to the answer of this question. The better the bow is tuned the more it'll shoot the two the same. But in all honesty, you won't know until you shoot them both and see the difference.

Sorry but that's the truth...
Old 01-23-2008, 11:38 AM
Luna Tic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Her1911 View Post
can I expect when I shoot broadheads vs field tips?
Depends upon the broad head and how much wind it picks up under the blades..
Old 01-23-2008, 11:39 AM
nicole*

Nic, what draw length and weight are you shooting?
Old 01-23-2008, 11:42 AM
On the road to nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
Nic, what draw length and weight are you shooting?
29" draw, and the bow's set at 50lbs right now, but once I get to practicin and get better, I think bringing it up to 55lb should be just about rifle
Old 01-23-2008, 11:44 AM
On the road to nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn2Dusk View Post
There is "NO EXACT" science to get to the answer of this question. The better the bow is tuned the more it'll shoot the two the same. But in all honesty, you won't know until you shoot them both and see the difference.

I getcha...

I just wasnt sure what others experiences had been with shooting different kinds of broadheads vs shooting field tips..kinda like using FMJ's vs HP's I gotta learn to word my questions better
Old 01-23-2008, 11:46 AM
Luna Tic.

Quote:

I disagree.. No its not the truth. The arrow has to be tuned as well. However the aerodynamics of a broad head in flight is way different than that of a field tip.. I have encountered a lot of folks saying that their broad heads fly like their field tips.. There are very few out there that will stand up to that test. Most of the guys that claim that have a shot pattern of a pie plate at 20 yds.. I measure my shot pattern by the fraction of an inch at 30yds. I can tune perfectly an arrow and broad head.. Shoot it with a perfectly tuned bow.. The two will shoot a different target zone consistently in its own relative spot.
Why??? Aerodynamics of flight.. Uplift and down forces on the arrow are greater for broad heads than field tips.
Not to mention a Broad head will dramatically change the spine and length of an arrow.. A 2" ferrel compared to a 1/2" field tip or pig point.. Big difference on the way the arrow will react when it leaves the shelf of the bow..
Old 01-23-2008, 11:48 AM
Dammit Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. View Post
Depends upon the broad head and how much wind it picks up under the blades..
As well as speed....The faster the speed and larger the the broadhead surface will effect the planing.

Center shot will play into it as well. The better the bow is tuned the more likely you will get the same filght out of your field tips and broadheads.

Nic, listen closely when guys like LT, Taylor Co. and a few others talk...It will help tremedously.

With all that being said....A good broadhead that provides cloe to field tip flight is the Slick Trick. Plenty others out there too.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:49 AM
Dawn2Dusk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. View Post
I disagree.. No its not the truth. The arrow has to be tuned as well. However the aerodynamics of a broad head in flight is way different than that of a field tip.. I have encountered a lot of folks saying that their broad heads fly like their field tips.. There are very few out there that will stand up to that test. Most of the guys that claim that have a shot pattern of a pie plate at 20 yds.. I measure my shot pattern by the fraction of an inch at 30yds. I can tune perfectly an arrow and broad head.. Shoot it with a perfectly tuned bow.. The two will shoot a different target zone consistently in its own relative spot.
Why??? Aerodynamics of flight.. Uplift and down forces on the arrow are greater for broad heads than field tips.
Not to mention a Broad head will dramatically change the spine and length of an arrow.. A 2" ferrel compared to a 1/2" field tip or pig point.. Big difference on the way the arrow will react when it leaves the shelf of the bow..
When I referred to bow, I guess I was thinking that everything went with it bow, arrow, broadhead, etc.. If someone can't look at a broadhead and understand it has a different aerodynamic profile from a field tip then all the typing in the world won't help them. But the TRUTH IS one won't know until they shoot BOTH...
Old 01-23-2008, 11:54 AM
On the road to nowhere

Hope I can make it to the Archery Challenge cookout..I need all the help I can get

oh, and I got some CT XT's, so thats the bh I'll be tryin once I can get back out shooting (if it ever decides to warm up)
Old 01-23-2008, 11:55 AM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Her1911 View Post
29" draw, and the bow's set at 50lbs right now, but once I get to practicin and get better, I think bringing it up to 55lb should be just about rifle
I would assume that if your shooting a 29" draw, then you need to go to a proshop and have it adjusted, unless you have unnaturally long arms.

I'm 6' and shoot a 29" draw.

Proper draw length is of the utmost importance in consistent shooting. You should never move your head from the natural head up straight on looking, the more natural your head position, the more accurate and consistent you will be. My guess is that your nocking point is somewhere around or behind your ear, which is too long.

I don't know how tall you are, but I would think your draw length should not be over 27", that should "be just about RIFLE" (you have guns on the brain)
Old 01-23-2008, 11:56 AM
Dawn2Dusk

Last note, don't take anything I say about a bow. I wouldn't own one if the DNR opened up season to take whatever weapon you want to the woods with you.

I like my powder power...
Old 01-23-2008, 12:02 PM
nicole*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixes View Post
I would assume that if your shooting a 29" draw, then you need to go to a proshop and have it adjusted, unless you have unnaturally long arms.

Proper draw length is of the utmost importance in consistent shooting. You should never move your head from the natural head up straight on looking, the more natural your head position, the more accurate and consistent you will be. My guess is that your nocking point is somewhere around or behind your ear, which is too long.

I don't know how tall you are, but I would think your draw length should not be over 27", that should "be just about RIFLE" (you have guns on the brain)
thats one reason i asked too... just interested in the female opinion on it. my buddy's sister shoots a bow with a 27" draw length, which was surprising to me, as she is a few inches shorter than i am. he's trying to get me into it, but i can guarantee there is no way i could pull back anything close to 50#

somebody bring their kiddie's bow to the cookout, and i'll give it a try
Old 01-23-2008, 12:05 PM
On the road to nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixes View Post

I've HAD my draw checked by several guys at a shop already and 29" is just fine

and yes, I always have guns on the brain
Old 01-23-2008, 12:06 PM
Luna Tic.

Quote:
When I referred to bow, I guess I was thinking that everything went with it bow, arrow, broadhead, etc.. If someone can't look at a broadhead and understand it has a different aerodynamic profile from a field tip then all the typing in the world won't help them. But the TRUTH IS one won't know until they shoot BOTH...
Your thinking is right. Everything with bow goes together.. That is where most folks flaw. Everything from the grip to the archer has to work together as a single unit in perfect harmony.. I have yet to see a broad head with a cutting dia over 1" that shot exact with my field points. This is the reason so many folks go to mechanical heads.
The best broad head that matches my field tip shot zone is the Muzzy 100grn 1" cutting diameter. And then I still have to make a minor site adjustment.