The Outdoors Place  
THE PLACE Chat Room

Go Back   The Outdoors Place > Shooting > Archery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-03-2008, 12:33 PM
KH's Avatar
KH KH is offline
THE PLACE Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Wrens, Ga
Posts: 5,012
Default Marilyn Needs a bow

My 15 year old wants a bow. What I want is some suggestions of what to look for and where to start. I don't want to start out with a lot of money, because she has a tendency to loose interest in things. Well.............................................. ..................................................
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-03-2008, 01:39 PM
QuakerBoy's Avatar
QuakerBoy QuakerBoy is offline
THE PLACE Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Right Here Fool!
Posts: 23,310
Default

there are a lot of nice youth bous out there with adjustable poundages and weights so they can grow into them. First thing to do is get her draw weight measured. What do you consider a lot of money for a bow? that will help on suggestions
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-03-2008, 02:17 PM
BuckyT's Avatar
BuckyT BuckyT is offline
Super Moderator Supervisor
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newborn
Posts: 20,406
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansashunter View Post
My 15 year old wants a bow. What I want is some suggestions of what to look for and where to start. I don't want to start out with a lot of money, because she has a tendency to loose interest in things. Well.............................................. ..................................................
I've got an old Bear Whitetail that is fine, but it needs new cables and a string. Have an old soft case for it as well. It needs a little work. Probably would recommend getting a new sight for it.

I'll give it to you Chris!!!

Let me know if your interested and we'll meet up in Wrens next time I'm down that way.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-03-2008, 02:44 PM
KH's Avatar
KH KH is offline
THE PLACE Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Wrens, Ga
Posts: 5,012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckyT View Post
I've got an old Bear Whitetail that is fine, but it needs new cables and a string. Have an old soft case for it as well. It needs a little work. Probably would recommend getting a new sight for it.

I'll give it to you Chris!!!

Let me know if your interested and we'll meet up in Wrens next time I'm down that way.
What kind of poundage are we talking about?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-03-2008, 02:45 PM
nicole*
 
Posts: n/a
Default

man, nobody was interested in my thread about looking for a bow!

KH, I've been looking into them as well, and I think you definitely need to let her go look and hold the bows before buying one. I'm also looking for something "cost effective" incase I don't like it as much as I thought I would.

So far, I like the "feel" of the browning micro midas (3 or 4) the best, it has an adjustable draw length that could grow with her too. comes in a variety of weights as well. Also, the Diamond Egde is what most people have recommended to me, a bit more expensive of a set up. Oh yeah, and the Hoyt trykon is a niiiice looking bow
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-03-2008, 02:46 PM
KH's Avatar
KH KH is offline
THE PLACE Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Wrens, Ga
Posts: 5,012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBoy View Post
What do you consider a lot of money for a bow? that will help on suggestions
How the hell should I know. I've never bought a bow when I was sober. I think I would be interested in a package type bow. Since I know nothing about them, I don't need to be out looking for accessories.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-03-2008, 02:47 PM
KH's Avatar
KH KH is offline
THE PLACE Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Wrens, Ga
Posts: 5,012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I got a pse firestorm lite....30" axle to axle...3.5lbs
probably would be perfect for her and its ready to go hunting.
Might need a string......Ill let it go for $300
If you match Bucky's price sold.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-03-2008, 02:48 PM
KH's Avatar
KH KH is offline
THE PLACE Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Wrens, Ga
Posts: 5,012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
man, nobody was interested in my thread about looking for a bow!

KH, I've been looking into them as well, and I think you definitely need to let her go look and hold the bows before buying one. I'm also looking for something "cost effective" incase I don't like it as much as I thought I would.

So far, I like the "feel" of the browning micro midas (3 or 4) the best, it has an adjustable draw length that could grow with her too. comes in a variety of weights as well. Also, the Diamond Egde is what most people have recommended to me, a bit more expensive of a set up. Oh yeah, and the Hoyt trykon is a niiiice looking bow
Darcy if you want to get a guys attention being a girl. You need to change your avatar from a dog to you.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-03-2008, 02:50 PM
KH's Avatar
KH KH is offline
THE PLACE Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Wrens, Ga
Posts: 5,012
Default

I'm just looking for info at this time not ready to jump on anything.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-03-2008, 02:53 PM
nicole*
 
Posts: n/a
Default

take her to a pro shop and let her pull back a few ... get her measured for draw length, find out what kind of weight she can comfortably pull.

Take note though, DO NOT pressure her and DO NOT expect her to pull back a weight that might be "easy" for you ... that'll only turn her away. Find somebody at the shop that will not just talk to you about it .. but to HER. After all, she is the one who will be shooting it. Thats just my opinion, because I have delt with many crappy sales people who look at me like I have no idea what I'm doing in an outdoors store.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-03-2008, 02:57 PM
KH's Avatar
KH KH is offline
THE PLACE Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Wrens, Ga
Posts: 5,012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
take her to a pro shop and let her pull back a few ... get her measured for draw length, find out what kind of weight she can comfortably pull.

Take note though, DO NOT pressure her and DO NOT expect her to pull back a weight that might be "easy" for you ... that'll only turn her away. Find somebody at the shop that will not just talk to you about it .. but to HER. After all, she is the one who will be shooting it. Thats just my opinion, because I have delt with many crappy sales people who look at me like I have no idea what I'm doing in an outdoors store.
I hear that and understand that. How would I know how much she needs to draw. I'm an ignorant fool when it comes to bows. My question I guess should be maby what kind? not style or model or weight. And what kind of shop? And archery shop or hunting store?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-03-2008, 03:10 PM
Fatboy's Avatar
Fatboy Fatboy is offline
Dammit Bobby
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: In my house
Posts: 30,059
Default

KH,

Take her to an archery shop....Somewhere like Lake Oconee Shooting Club.

Let them measure her draw length. THen they can tak a bow and set it to a draw weight adn see how well she can draw it and adjust from there.

At this point I would guess her draw weight to be in the 30 lb range give or take since she has not been shooting a bow. However, as she shoots and practices, her strength will increse and her draw weight should increase.

But def go to an archery shop for determining what she needs.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-03-2008, 03:10 PM
Fatboy's Avatar
Fatboy Fatboy is offline
Dammit Bobby
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: In my house
Posts: 30,059
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Geez everyone wants everything for free.
Its a real nice bow for 300.....Ill let collect dust in my garage before I give it away.
hardass
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-03-2008, 03:14 PM
KH's Avatar
KH KH is offline
THE PLACE Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Wrens, Ga
Posts: 5,012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Geez everyone wants everything for free.
Its a real nice bow for 300.....Ill let collect dust in my garage before I give it away.
And I thought we were buds.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-03-2008, 03:15 PM
KH's Avatar
KH KH is offline
THE PLACE Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Wrens, Ga
Posts: 5,012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy View Post
KH,

Take her to an archery shop....Somewhere like Lake Oconee Shooting Club.

Let them measure her draw length. THen they can tak a bow and set it to a draw weight adn see how well she can draw it and adjust from there.

At this point I would guess her draw weight to be in the 30 lb range give or take since she has not been shooting a bow. However, as she shoots and practices, her strength will increse and her draw weight should increase.

But def go to an archery shop for determining what she needs.
Now see that is what I was looking for. Thanks everyone else though.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.