The Outdoors Place  
THE PLACE Chat Room

Go Back   The Outdoors Place > Shooting > Archery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2008, 10:16 AM
Luna Tic.

Default First shoot of the year yesterday.. Ouch..

Good lord I shot like a blind man yesterday.. Not very impressed at all.. My yardage was on..
Being that this was my first 3d shoot I have shot since last years Gainesville ASA I can see that I have my work cut out for me. My yardage was on target. The only time I was off on yardage was on the up side about within two yards.. That is a good thing.
The bad....... I was punching, pushing, and dropping my arm big time..
Its one thing to go in my back yard and do what I do and drill the target time and time again.. I have got to get more range time in again.
On another note.. It poured rain for till about ten o'clock. The first 5 targets were in less than desireable conditions.
Some guys swear by not waxing their strings.. Here is what happend.. My shots were dropping out the bottom.. Why??? Well these strings are quite new and have maybe 400 shots thru them and are only 3 weeks old. I did not even think to wax these strings..
Wax on string is not only designed to hold string fibers together but by its very nature it repels water as well.
So I just kept dropping out on my shots.. When it started letting up the rain was still coming out of the trees and palms pretty good.. Me and my equipment were soaked to say the least.
Well. I got up pretty early this morning and decided to run a test...I have a couple sets of new strings for my Allegiance.. I decided to take a set out of the new package and weigh it.
I also have an old set of back up strings loaded with plenty of wax needed into the string fibers and serving.
I weighed it as well..
After which I set doused both under cold running water..
I went as far as to damp dry them with a hand towel and then weigh them again..

Here are the results..
New strings w/ no wax dry.. 117 grains.
New strings w/ no wax damp... 133 grains.
A weight gain of 16 grains.

Old strings w/ wax dry. 125 grains.
Old strings w/ wax damp. 128 grains.
A weight gain of 3 grains..

Now mind you that these were damp dry strings.. Yesteday my equipment was saturated.. With no chance of damp drying..

The proof is in the puddin.. Wax your strings.

My next agenda is to go to the pro shop.. Tie on 16 grains worth of rubber bands to my string and shoot thru a chrono to see how much speed is lost..
Now that I think about it my arrow was probably wearing about 10 extra grains worth of water if not more when it was shot. Okay.. I am about to run a wet towel across my arrow shaft and get the before and after weights.. BRB..
Old 01-27-2008, 10:18 AM
Luna Tic.

Arrow weight dry 296

Arrow weight wet 308
Old 01-27-2008, 10:29 AM
Shady Acres Farm & kennel

Nice test. Yes sir, I wax my strings and will make sure hey are waxed before heading down this weekend in case it rains.

good Info Lt.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:53 AM
Go dawgs!

I don't shoot 3d but I do keep the string on my Hoyt waxed.
Old 01-27-2008, 03:48 PM
Dammit Bobby

If you wanna be on THE PLACE Archery team you are gonna have to get your head in the game bud.
Old 01-27-2008, 04:24 PM
Luna Tic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy View Post
If you wanna be on THE PLACE Archery team you are gonna have to get your head in the game bud.

Im good now.. Im just not gonna shoot in the rain anymore... I should have done like 3/4 of the folks who showed up did.. I should have gone and had breakfast and then home.