The Outdoors Place  
THE PLACE Chat Room

Go Back   The Outdoors Place > Hunting > Everything Turkey
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2008, 10:49 PM
THE PLACE Member

I oo it quite a bit simply because I get tired of walking every once in a while.It has worked for me on occasion but I start getting restless if don't get any action in 45 minutes or so.Then I'm off again!
Old 02-21-2008, 06:34 AM
Holy Wah is right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull0ne View Post
When the spring woods are dead by mid morning or I have too much hunt in me to lay around at camp all day, I go into my blind calling routine. It's not the most exciting way to hunt, but the numbers have proven it to be the deadiest!

Since this foolish addiction took hold of me, I have hunted far less hours in the afternoon blind calling but have taken more birds than I have before noon.

I start out where the hens are known to hangout. Most times, in my case, my preferred setup locations are food plots and fields I've seen hens feeding in recently. In a strictly woods setting, I'll go to the oak flats or ridge tops that are scratched up the most.

If it's possible and you have an educated guess as to the direction the bird will approach from, use the sun to your advantage by making the bird come to you with the sun in his eyes, not yours. If the terrain is rolling, go ahead and setup on the high ground, just be careful not to silhouette yourself in the process. A fully-enclosed blind REALLY comes in handy in hilly/woods setups and allows you more freedom of movement.

You must beat the birds to the intended setup location and if it's an afternoon hunt,try to sit it out until it nears roosting time. I rarely move once I settle in, the few times I have moved............I spooked birds. By sitting it out until sundown, I'm not spooking the birds and I'm usually within hearing distance of a roosting area as well. I usually hangout until dark anyway,in an effort to roost a bird for the next morning.

I use at least three different calls while trying to sound like a flock of hens. I want to give off the sounds of hens feeding around, doing their ''contact clucking'' and ''purring'' thing back & forth to each other. I will give em a short 3 or 4 note yelp on one call and answer it back with a different sounding call. I will also throw out a long series of '' lost yelps'' every 20 to 30 minutes. I do a good bit of leaf scratching while waiting it out too. Now is not the time for ''power calling'' IMO..............just keep it realistic as possible. Don't overstate your case. If he's alone and hears you, he'll most likely wander on over.

Should a gobbler sound off after a series of yelps, I don't jump right back at him with any pleading calls aimed directly at him. I play ''hard to get'' and just leaf scratch a bit and maybe ''cluck''softly. If he came that far and is all alone, he should come on in! If you have'nt seen him in 10 minutes, give him another series like the one he answered before. Should he gobble again, note if he's moved any further toward your position. If he's closing the gap, I shut up and give him a chance to stroll on over. If I do decide to call, it's not much more than a cluck of some leaf scratching.

If you determine he's not advancing from his last response, he's most likely in the company of hens and wants you [ the hen] to come join his harem. I then forget the gobbler and start ''lost yelping'' in hopes to get a response from the Dominant hen in the flock. BTW....... I use my most raspy mouth call for this, I've found the rasp duplicates the sound of an old boss hen the best. If she will allow you to rile her up, by all means, get on her!

You can try riling the lead hen up by mocking her note for note on the number of yelps she answered you with before. Many times she will come over to assert her Dominance on the ''strange hen'' that dares infringe on her turf. If she does'nt respond well to mocking her, I just go back to what I was doing before, no need in burning her out with calling when she's not responding favorably. Whatever the case may be on calling the hens,it's a matter of trying to pull the flock on over............sometimes it works, other times it does'nt. When you see it's not working, just go back to what you were doing before and hope for the best.

For this type of hunting around clearings I will use decoys. I like a jake decoy facing me and one hen facing away from me. Facement of the dekes is based on the fact that the majority of the time a gobbler will approach another male of the species head-on and a hen from the rear. For woods setups I usually use the dekes for a cushion and let the gobbler keep looking for the ''flock'' he's been listening too.

Typically, the gobbler will come in silent and extremely watchful. If he gobbles at all it will be close by! You must stay on red aleart at all times, and yes, it's mentally tiring to stay tuned in during long ''lulls'' in the action. This type of hunting takes more concentration and confidence that the typical off the roost moring hunt. You MUST believe that there's a gobbler just out of sight and waiting to hear some ''hens'' in need of company.

In good hearing conditions and in a place that I know hens and/or gobblers are feeding, I typically call in a gobbler about 1 out of 5 setups on long afternoon runs. It's not my favorite way to collect beards and spurs but when it's time to draw blood, you hafta get in there and grind it out!!

Alright.................there you have it!

This is my mini-novel of the day and my take on blind calling.
Good Post!
Old 02-21-2008, 07:12 AM
THE PLACE Member

I have lots of luck doing this from 10am-12pm and from about 2pm -5pm. 4pm around a field edge has been good to me
Old 02-21-2008, 10:25 PM
Super Moderator Supervisor

I called in my first bird blind calling. Didn't kill him................. He came in too quickly and I set up waaaay wrong.

It was a very windy day and I was busy walking all over 900 acres trying to find a bird.

I stopped in the road and yelped as loud as a could w/a Tom Teaser 2.5 V cut.

I could have swore I heard a gobble in the 25mph+ winds......... Yelped again, he hammered again and he was close. Bird must have been running full speed!!!

I jumped off the road and sat next to a clump of briars...... He popped out on the road, but off my right shoulder. I was thinking about turning on him, but he must have saw something he didn't quite like and he turned and jumped back into the pines off the road...........

BuckyT
Old 02-23-2008, 08:38 PM
" The Great One.."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryano View Post
Im not talking calling from a ground blind .............I talking where you find a good spot of woods and have a seat by a tree and maybe put up a decoy or two and start calling lightly every once in a while.

anyone ever had any luck doing this?
I love doing that and have killed several with that tactic....
Old 02-24-2008, 02:10 PM
snuffer

ryan, you have some good advice to pull from, already...and there's not much i can add. i try to never call ''blind''. i am either going to use my own rendition of run-n-gun...which i call ''sneak-n-cluck'', or, i am going to set up in ambush in a location that i know for a fact the birds are going to come to at some point. either way, i try to be low-key, and not bump them. set up w/ plenty of cover, and don't get busted moving. when doing this, i will generally have good luck w/ getting their attention w/ some cutting/ light yelping, then...let their curiosity get the best of them by going silent. i think the extended periods of silence are more effective than calling is. they tend to feel more comfy coming into an area when there is nothing happening, than when they hear a call...as a general rule of thumb. if you get a gobble, try to pique his interest, and give him enough rope to hang himself by going silent. if you have to patience and time to sit there...and you are somewhere that he regularly goes...he will, at some point in the day, come to investigate. it is your duty to not be sleeping when that happens.
Old 02-24-2008, 02:36 PM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffer View Post
ryan, you have some good advice to pull from, already...and there's not much i can add. i try to never call ''blind''. i am either going to use my own rendition of run-n-gun...which i call ''sneak-n-cluck'', or, i am going to set up in ambush in a location that i know for a fact the birds are going to come to at some point. either way, i try to be low-key, and not bump them. set up w/ plenty of cover, and don't get busted moving. when doing this, i will generally have good luck w/ getting their attention w/ some cutting/ light yelping, then...let their curiosity get the best of them by going silent. i think the extended periods of silence are more effective than calling is. they tend to feel more comfy coming into an area when there is nothing happening, than when they hear a call...as a general rule of thumb. if you get a gobble, try to pique his interest, and give him enough rope to hang himself by going silent. if you have to patience and time to sit there...and you are somewhere that he regularly goes...he will, at some point in the day, come to investigate. it is your duty to not be sleeping when that happens.
I agree ................laying a good dose of silence on him is the best, but hardest thing to do for me personally. I will time myself to keep from overcalling to the bird.

I have had good luck blind calling luck in the afternoon when I slipped back into an area where I had good gobbling responses from a gobbler at dawn, but lost him to the hens.

When they go silent and slip away to feed or lay an egg, I'm suddenly the only game in town then.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:22 PM
THE PLACE Member

Yep, done it a few times.