The Outdoors Place  
THE PLACE Chat Room

Go Back   The Outdoors Place > Hunting > Food/Bait Plots/Supplemental Feeding
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2010, 04:43 PM
Pintail is my best good chum

Question high protein diets

you guys help me out here............I have to take in more protein and have been trying my best to eat a decent portion of lean red meat or chicken each night. Eating seafood like fish, scallops and shrimp when I can too.

I dont know if its enough though and was needing some help on how to step up the protein and was wondering of some things high in protein but not terribly "bad" for you.

Its been suggested that I buy a supplement drink like Ensure or some kind of protein shake. What is this stuff like?

Im not real worried about gaining a few pounds.........I can work on that once i get healed back up.
"I've been working here for 44 years. Ain't nobody ever ordered nothing but a T-Bone steak and baked potato. Except one time, this @sshole from New York ordered a trout, back in 1987. We ain't got no g**d*mned trout".,

Last edited by Gimp : 10-19-2010 at 04:45 PM.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:50 PM
Antler Addict

Make you some egg whites in the AM. I make a sandwich out of 3 egg whites, a handful of crushed bacon bits and a glass of milk. You add some salt and pepper to this and its a pretty good breakfast sandwich.

You could also make shakes out of some of the protein powders to have as a snack between meals. It really can get tough to add alot of protein to a diet.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:50 PM
Dammit Bobby

Get some Whey Protein Mix and make protein shakes. Best tasting I found was Gold Standard at GNC.

Egg whites will help as well.

Also, I found some bars called Pure Protein at Target and Wal Mart that have 20 grams of protein.

I'll hang up and wait for QuakerBoy to chime in.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:55 PM
Antler Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy View Post
Get some Whey Protein Mix and make protein shakes. Best tasting I found was Gold Standard at GNC.

Also, I found some bars called Pure Protein at Target and Wal Mart that have 20 grams of protein.

yeah...Arnold will have a few pointers!!
Old 10-19-2010, 04:59 PM
Pintail is my best good chum

thanks guys...........our resident bodybuilder is gonna call me in about 45 minutes lol.

he says a "high protein diet" is gonna be about 1.5 gram of protein per pound of body weight, that is A LOT
"I've been working here for 44 years. Ain't nobody ever ordered nothing but a T-Bone steak and baked potato. Except one time, this @sshole from New York ordered a trout, back in 1987. We ain't got no g**d*mned trout".,
Old 10-19-2010, 05:00 PM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryano View Post
you guys help me out here............I have to take in more protein and have been trying my best to eat a decent portion of lean red meat or chicken each night. Eating seafood like fish, scallops and shrimp when I can too.

I dont know if its enough though and was needing some help on how to step up the protein and was wondering of some things high in protein but not terribly "bad" for you.

Its been suggested that I buy a supplement drink like Ensure or some kind of protein shake. What is this stuff like?

Im not real worried about gaining a few pounds.........I can work on that once i get healed back up.
Ryan buy some Gold standard 100% whey protein in bannana flavor it taste great when mixed with low fat or 2% milk and a cube or 2 of ice in a blender. Each serving has 24G of protein in it. They have about any flavor you want but the bannana is the closest to a milk shake out of the ones I drank.

Last edited by stumpman : 10-19-2010 at 05:03 PM.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:05 PM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GThunter View Post
Make you some egg whites in the AM. I make a sandwich out of 3 egg whites, a handful of crushed bacon bits and a glass of milk. You add some salt and pepper to this and its a pretty good breakfast sandwich.

You could also make shakes out of some of the protein powders to have as a snack between meals. It really can get tough to add alot of protein to a diet.
though egg whites are a nice low fat protein source, 3 egg whites is gonna give you about 12g protein. Not really all that much. I would go with whole eggs as its a more complete protein but it will give you some fats..still only about 18g protein for 3 whole eggs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy View Post

Whey protein is gonna give you the most bang for your buck. I personally dont care for the taste of Gold Standard but its a good protein. GNC's prices are high but they are everywhere.

I get the EAS whey at Sams. not the best taste but a good price.

a pound of raw beef will give you about 80 g protein a day. a "high protein" diet IMO will give you 1-1.5g protein per pound of bodyweight.

beef 1 pound raw 79g protein

skinless chicken breast (cooked) 4 oz 25g protein

Pork (raw) 4 oz = 22g protein

venison 4 oz, 27g protein

scallops 12 oz, 29g protein

Caned Tuna 1 can 13 g protein

Egg white 1 white 4 g proten

1 large egg 6 g protein
Old 10-19-2010, 05:06 PM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
thanks guys...........our resident bodybuilder is gonna call me in about 45 minutes lol.

he says a "high protein diet" is gonna be about 1.5 gram of protein per pound of body weight, that is A LOT
Ryan...I eat about 250g protein a day when I am losing weight LOL
Old 10-19-2010, 05:07 PM
Dammit Bobby

Quote:

But you don't know how much you weigh so how you gonna figure that up?
Old 10-19-2010, 05:15 PM
Foot in mouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBoy View Post
Ryan...I eat about 250g protein a day when I am losing weight LOL
Who?
Old 10-19-2010, 05:36 PM
Etter1

Ryan, it's important to keep in mind that really high protein foods are almost impossible to absorb every gram of. When I was sick into lifting, I did TONS of research on the subject. I think I remember them guessing that a 200lb man couldn't absorb more than about 35 grams of protein per meal. So it would help you to spread it out. I used to drink a lot of skim millk in between meals. Tuna is also a very concentrated source if you like it. Cheap and easy to make.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:39 PM
Dammit Bobby

Answer you phone...Arnold is calling
Old 10-19-2010, 07:06 PM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etter1 View Post
Ryan, it's important to keep in mind that really high protein foods are almost impossible to absorb every gram of. When I was sick into lifting, I did TONS of research on the subject. I think I remember them guessing that a 200lb man couldn't absorb more than about 35 grams of protein per meal. So it would help you to spread it out. I used to drink a lot of skim millk in between meals. Tuna is also a very concentrated source if you like it. Cheap and easy to make.
this has never really been unequivically proven...but its always a good idea to space out your meals
Old 10-19-2010, 07:57 PM
Super Moderator Supervisor

You trying to grow a big rack??

Old 10-19-2010, 11:08 PM
Ask our guide

go with the scallpos man