The Outdoors Place  
THE PLACE Chat Room

Go Back   The Outdoors Place > Hunting > Sporting Dogs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2012, 02:24 PM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssramage View Post
I'm working at the pace of my pup and not putting time limits on anything. I imagine she'll be ready long before I am, but when we're ready we'll give it a shot. Right now we're running singles, working on OB, and bonding most of all. We're not ready...
this is the BEST policy and mind frame you can have.
and what Mr. Joe the Pro said to me many times yesterday in my private handling lesson.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:27 PM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruz View Post
See my post above Blaine...I know it happens and will probably happen to me...my point is so what? There are other tests.....There are more training days....The pups are here for 10-? Years.....You're not risking anything by giving them a shot especially before they are FF or CC. No bad habits to create because you can't enforce anything anyway.

Now when FF starts....the gam will change....and when CC starts it will go to a whole nother level.

That's all I'm saying.

Bruz
Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me that most bad habits would be formed before corrective measures are in place...
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruz View Post
Steven...It's 2 Land Marks and 2 Water Marks and you can hold the collar....My God if your Pup can't do that at 6 months you need to trade them in.

Mine can reliably do doubles now and sit at heel without me holding the collar.....They can also do Water Re-Entries reliably.....until I can FF and CC I'm going to keep working on OB and run them in Started and Junior AKC....The main thing I need to do right now is get Blaine to start training on Sundays so I can get them use o the sights...sounds and commotion of a test.

Bruz
reality will hit you hard in the face, trust me i know. Newt failed his started test on water @ 11 months old. there are soo many other factors with these hunt test. one big one in my opinion is the atmosphere. soo many unfamiliar dogs, people, holding blinds, and training areas that your pup has never seen or been around. and thats not an excuse for me or my dog, i know that i didnt have him prepared enough, i know he could do it at the time, but i had not given him enough marks from someone else or a winger, his fail was on me.

also another variable, at Old South where we ran started there was a goose nesting on an island about 20 yards from the mark, lets say she decides to take a swim whil your dog is in the water? what is your dog gonna do? not as much of a "cake walk" as portrayed. lots of different things that could happen..

but i do wish you well and know your dogs will title
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator View Post
this is the BEST policy and mind frame you can have.
and what Mr. Joe the Pro said to me many times yesterday in my private handling lesson.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:28 PM
#MadeinthemothereffinUSA

There are lots of bad habits that can be formed in started. The worst thing you could do is run them before they are ready.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:30 PM
Pintail is my best good chum

Quote:
Mine won't be titled by 8 months I can guarantee that. To me a dog is only as good as it's handler and my pup is screwed in that aspect. I may run a hunt test or two this Fall just for the experience but I am not fooling myself into thinking we'll be getting ribbons. My pup is doing well, much better than I would have imagined even, but we're still young in this game. Before we run ANYTHING her OB will be tight.

2 land and 2 water marks sounds simple on paper but add in the high stress situation, you and the pup being nervous, etc....it all adds up against the pup. Backyard fun drills are one thing, but competition is another. I'm working at the pace of my pup and not putting time limits on anything. I imagine she'll be ready long before I am, but when we're ready we'll give it a shot. Right now we're running singles, working on OB, and bonding most of all. We're not ready...
Eff a bunch of titles and ribbons. All I want is a dog that is obedient and can fetch my doves for me..........and ducks if thats what I decide to do

I think both our pups are at least capable of doing that.

Do i want allie to be the best she can be? Of course I do but Im not gonna sit here and fool myself into thinking I have a title winning dog because Im a dumbass when it comes to training and i will just be tickled chitless if she is strong in her obedience and fetch my birds for me.

Thats good enough for me.
"I've been working here for 44 years. Ain't nobody ever ordered nothing but a T-Bone steak and baked potato. Except one time, this @sshole from New York ordered a trout, back in 1987. We ain't got no g**d*mned trout".,
Old 04-18-2012, 02:31 PM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrebel View Post
reality will hit you hard in the face, trust me i know. Newt failed his started test on water @ 11 months old. there are soo many other factors with these hunt test. one big one in my opinion is the atmosphere. soo many unfamiliar dogs, people, holding blinds, and training areas that your pup has never seen or been around. and thats not an excuse for me or my dog, i know that i didnt have him prepared enough, i know he could do it at the time, but i had not given him enough marks from someone else or a winger, his fail was on me.

also another variable, at Old South where we ran started there was a goose nesting on an island about 20 yards from the mark, lets say she decides to take a swim whil your dog is in the water? what is your dog gonna do? not as much of a "cake walk" as portrayed. lots of different things that could happen..

but i do wish you well and know your dogs will title
a young fella that learned a valuable 60$ lesson.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:33 PM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
a young fella that learned a valuable 60$ lesson.
but ate like a king!!!
Old 04-18-2012, 02:34 PM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryano View Post
Eff a bunch of titles and ribbons. All I want is a dog that is obedient and can fetch my doves for me..........and ducks if thats what I decide to do

I think both our pups are at least capable of doing that.

Do i want allie to be the best she can be? Of course I do but Im not gonna sit here and fool myself into thinking I have a title winning dog because Im a dumbass when it comes to training and i will just be tickled chitless if she is strong in her obedience and fetch my birds for me.

Thats good enough for me.
I will be BEYOND pleased if this September my pup is picking up doves for me somewhere. She does that and I'll be a happy camper. If she doesn't, well that's ok too.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:34 PM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrebel View Post
but ate like a king!!!
and had a chaueffer...
Old 04-18-2012, 02:37 PM
Pintail is my best good chum

Quote:
I will be BEYOND pleased if this September my pup is picking up doves for me somewhere. She does that and I'll be a happy camper. If she doesn't, well that's ok too.
"I've been working here for 44 years. Ain't nobody ever ordered nothing but a T-Bone steak and baked potato. Except one time, this @sshole from New York ordered a trout, back in 1987. We ain't got no g**d*mned trout".,
Old 04-18-2012, 02:38 PM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
and had a chaueffer...
next time im gonna drive, maybe borrow dads crew cab and haul the majority of the mafia
Old 04-18-2012, 02:47 PM
THE PLACE Member

My lab can out fetch Poodles all day............he can also chit Tiffany Cuff Links.........fetch beer from my truck..........clean my ducks.........and screw your little Miss Princess all at the same time..........
Old 04-18-2012, 03:11 PM
THE PLACE Member

I will just add this. I am A LOT MORE impressed with a dog who can run through the test at each level fully prepared and pass them all than I am with a dog who can pass a started test at such and such an age.

I don't know if ya'll have seen the Euk commercial for Justin Tackett's dog Yella. It brags on and on about how she passed this test at this age and that test at that age yada yada yada. I hate it. She is a helluva dog, but not any more or less of a dog because she was able to pass test at a young age. I just think it sends a terrible message to folks just getting into the game.

Take your time and enjoy the journey. If you get in a hurry to pass each level by a certain age you are setting yourself up to let your dog down. Check your ego at the door, follow a proven program, and build a solid retriever. Let the dog mature at their own pace.

This is just general advice and not pointed to anyone in particular, and is the same advice I have given to countless puppy owners whose dog can run a mark and pick up a duck at a young age. It is about the journey. I get as much satisfaction teaching my pup how to overcome an obstacle that they previously failed at and seeing them learn from it as I do passing a test. Maybe I have it all backwards though.
Old 04-18-2012, 03:17 PM
The other side

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigpen View Post
There are lots of bad habits that can be formed in started. The worst thing you could do is run them before they are ready.
Pigpen,

Explain ready? I'm not being a smart azz...I really want to know what you think is ready to run Sarted or Junior in AKC.

The reason I ask is I AM TRYING TO LEARN I spoke to 2 guys yesterday who both have trained Seasoned Title dogs....One with Labs and one with Boykins.

The advice I was given was " Run your dogs in Started when YOU think they are ready. EVERYONE will give you time lines and guidelines but you can bet they coincide with what their LATEST dog was capable of....Even the Pros do this"

So I want to know when you think they are "Ready".....What is your checklist so to speak?

Robert