The Outdoors Place  
THE PLACE Chat Room

Go Back   The Outdoors Place > Hunting > Sporting Dogs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2012, 11:30 AM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryano View Post
Crap, I think Ive already been messing up I have been releasing Allie on "fetch" instead of her name

and what is up with pups wanting to make it a game of take away?

I know she is still young but Allie just does not want to give up the roller. She comes back to me pretty much every time but she doesnt want to release.
I think "fetch" is fine. That's what it says to do on SW. I have been going at it a little different so far. I make Daisy sit before I throw, but I don't restrain her. She was a little hesitant to retrieve the first couple of days so I wanted to build up her desire to retrieve before I started holding her back. Even doing that every time I threw the roller I would say her name. Getting her used to the idea without her even knowing it.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:31 AM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
And another thing, those puppies in Evan Graham's Smartworks Puppy and Sound Beginnings DVD's have to be on valium or something they are WAY too calm during training lol.
I noticed the same thing. My dog is all over THE PLACE!
Old 02-07-2012, 11:31 AM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Crap, I think Ive already been messing up I have been releasing Allie on "fetch" instead of her name

and what is up with pups wanting to make it a game of take away?

I know she is still young but Allie just does not want to give up the roller. She comes back to me pretty much every time but she doesnt want to release.
It's up to you as to what you release her on, I just like to use his/her name.
From what I understand if you play with the pup trying to get it to release then they think that's what they are supposed to do and play keep a way with you. That said I don't know all of the proper channels to dog training, but I 've learned a lil.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:33 AM
Pintail is my best good chum

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssramage View Post
I think "fetch" is fine. That's what it says to do on SW. I have been going at it a little different so far. I make Daisy sit before I throw, but I don't restrain her. She was a little hesitant to retrieve the first couple of days so I wanted to build up her desire to retrieve before I started holding her back. Even doing that every time I threw the roller I would say her name. Getting her used to the idea without her even knowing it.
Allie sits well and charges like she is shot out of a cannon when she goes to retrieve it...........she comes back to me but then tries to make it a game to get the roller away from her she growls sometimes and shakes her head with the roller in her mouth.

thats where Im getting stuck as I dont know what to do next other than just take it from her..........I try to get her to sit but that doesnt always work lol.
"I've been working here for 44 years. Ain't nobody ever ordered nothing but a T-Bone steak and baked potato. Except one time, this @sshole from New York ordered a trout, back in 1987. We ain't got no g**d*mned trout".,

Last edited by Gimp : 02-07-2012 at 11:35 AM.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:34 AM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Allie sits well and charges like she is shot out of a cannon when she goes to retrieve it...........she comes back to me but then tries to make it a game to get the roller away from her she growls sometimes and shakes her head with the roller in her mouth.

thats where Im getting stuck as I dont know what to do next other than just take it from her
What I've been doing is making her sit, let her hold it a minute, then command "drop" and take it out of her mouth...that is when she brings it back to me
Old 02-07-2012, 11:35 AM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by burritoman View Post
I am glad it worked out well. The biggest part of training is being able to read your dog, and it sounds like she could handle the restraint fine. I just ask because I have always just let them go when they are that young. No restraint, just let them go. If you have a dog that needs the fire lit (and some of the best ones do) the restraining them from the retrieve could be detrimental to their development. If you have a high energy go getter, it is not as big of a deal.
I didn't hold her back but for a second, I just wanted her to hear her name before I let her go, it was fun for her, she wanted after it. But I did always quit while she still wanted to go. Bad ending to this was at 20 weeks she followed my male to the road and was hit by a car and killed , I know that was my fault but until that moment she had never gone far into the yard before.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkl021475 View Post
I didn't hold her back but for a second, I just wanted her to hear her name before I let her go, it was fun for her, she wanted after it. But I did always quit while she still wanted to go. .
Yeah thats exactly the approach I am taking too
"I've been working here for 44 years. Ain't nobody ever ordered nothing but a T-Bone steak and baked potato. Except one time, this @sshole from New York ordered a trout, back in 1987. We ain't got no g**d*mned trout".,
Old 02-07-2012, 11:41 AM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
What I've been doing is making her sit, let her hold it a minute, then command "drop" and take it out of her mouth...that is when she brings it back to me
Use a check cord and reel her in if you have to, bad habits are hard to break and will frustrate you at the same time, remember everything they learn good or bad comes from you at this point.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:41 AM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
I didn't hold her back but for a second, I just wanted her to hear her name before I let her go, it was fun for her, she wanted after it. But I did always quit while she still wanted to go. Bad ending to this was at 20 weeks she followed my male to the road and was hit by a car and killed , I know that was my fault but until that moment she had never gone far into the yard before.
damn that sucks. our puppy followed my dog out a few weeks back and it had me pretty worried. I had to do a little reinforcement to the back yard after that. Of course that has now cost me two trips from the Cox cable guy. Our internet connection was gone last Friday, I looked and she had pulled the cable off the brick wall and chewed it up. Got it fixed, made certain everything was snug and had no slack. The little biatch did it again on Sunday. Now she is either in my sight, in her kennel, or in the dog box.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:42 AM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Use a check cord and reel her in if you have to, bad habits are hard to break and will frustrate you at the same time, remember everything they learn good or bad comes from you at this point.
We're starting that but she's too concerned with the check cord to finish the retrieve...she's got a bad case of ADD when that orange cord comes out
Old 02-07-2012, 11:43 AM
Dammit Bobby

Quote:

thats where Im getting stuck as I dont know what to do next other than just take it from her..........I try to get her to sit but that doesnt always work lol.
You just have to keep working through it Ryan. When you take it, give her a command and remove it from her mouth. Do the same thing everytime and she will get the hang of it. Just make sure not to play tug of war with her when doing this.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:44 AM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
We're starting that but she's too concerned with the check cord to finish the retrieve...she's got a bad case of ADD when that orange cord comes out
Buy you a short one the same size and leave it on her even when she's out running around, she'll forget it's there in a few days.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:45 AM
Dammit Bobby

Quote:
damn that sucks. our puppy followed my dog out a few weeks back and it had me pretty worried. I had to do a little reinforcement to the back yard after that. Of course that has now cost me two trips from the Cox cable guy. Our internet connection was gone last Friday, I looked and she had pulled the cable off the brick wall and chewed it up. Got it fixed, made certain everything was snug and had no slack. The little biatch did it again on Sunday. Now she is either in my sight, in her kennel, or in the dog box.

The little effers love to chew stuff don't they?
Old 02-07-2012, 11:45 AM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Haha, they will chew up everything! Mine was always up unless I was with her in the yard, but I made that one mistake that morning.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy View Post
The little effers love to chew stuff don't they?
The cord for the power supply to my Uniden Bearcat race scanner is chewed slap in half it wasnt plugged in or anything luckily.

I dont have any other kinda power cords that she can really get to thankfully.

Its amazing what they can find just when you think you have everything puppy safe. And to think, Ive got what? At least another year of this to put up with ? LOL!