The Outdoors Place  
THE PLACE Chat Room

Go Back   The Outdoors Place > Outdoors > Gardening
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2011, 06:55 AM
THE PLACE Member

Default gonna try my hand at gardening next year

Quaker Girl's swingset is on its way out. so now I have a prime spot for a vegetable garden. Gonna put in a raised bed but need some advice.

My plan is to build ta raised bed with 4x4 posts in the corners which I can attach a vence to keep out the yard deer as we have WAY too many.

My questions. How big of a bed/box should I build. I am thinking tomatos, zuchini, lettuce, maybe some green onions, pole beans and some hot peppers (either banana or jalepeno...or both). Also, should I just fill with topsoil? or should I start composting some horse manure with some shredded leaves this fall and till them in with some soil in the spring?

Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:48 AM
Uncle BunBun

Depends on how big of an area. You could build one large bed or a couple of smaller ones. I'd prefer the smaller beds because it would be easier to reach into them for tending. I'd compost. Don't forget to add uncooked vegetable scraps from the kitchen, grass clippings, etc. The cool thing about the compost heap is seeing steam rising from the center when you turn it over in the winter time. Those things really cook when done right. It does take a long time for the organic material to break down unless you have a composter. I'd start now.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:56 AM
THE PLACE Member

however big you think you need to make it. double that. and maybe use some railroad ties if you can find some cheap ones.
Old 09-19-2011, 05:10 PM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator View Post
however big you think you need to make it. double that. and maybe use some railroad ties if you can find some cheap ones.
i really don't know how big I think I need it. I'm thinking an 8x12 box for the first go round...then see from there. I can always expand
Old 09-19-2011, 05:35 PM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBoy View Post
i really don't know how big I think I need it. I'm thinking an 8x12 box for the first go round...then see from there. I can always expand
depends how many maters you do. i did one about 8x15 or so and had 4 maters on one end with some peppers right next to it. well the maters grew so big they pretty much drowned out the peppers from any sunlight. and the squash on one end didnt really have the room it wanted to creep and they ended up dying prematurely.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:03 PM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
depends how many maters you do. i did one about 8x15 or so and had 4 maters on one end with some peppers right next to it. well the maters grew so big they pretty much drowned out the peppers from any sunlight. and the squash on one end didnt really have the room it wanted to creep and they ended up dying prematurely.
well, I don't quite have the acreage you got man so I'll give it a try with 2 mater plants and some zuchini and some lettuce...see what happens.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:38 PM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBoy View Post
well, I don't quite have the acreage you got man so I'll give it a try with 2 mater plants and some zuchini and some lettuce...see what happens.
2 mater plants wil definitely make a difference. heck dennis did it pretty successfully. he may help better. i just know i do a LOT better with a bigger spot.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:59 AM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
heck dennis did it pretty successfully. he may help better.
Old 09-21-2011, 06:23 AM
Ask our guide

Dont go too big, you can always add on later. Do the compost, leaves will be ready soon. I would think the horse crap would be seeded a good bit. Whats the plans for a border?
Old 09-22-2011, 06:17 PM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHT View Post
Dont go too big, you can always add on later. Do the compost, leaves will be ready soon. I would think the horse crap would be seeded a good bit. Whats the plans for a border?
Border will be 2x8 or 2x10. Will be fenced so deer wont get in

Wont the composting prosses nurn up any seeds? If not grass and leaves will be available