The Outdoors Place  
THE PLACE Chat Room

Go Back   The Outdoors Place > Hunting > Everything Turkey
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2008, 07:27 PM
snuffer

Default tube calls, snuff cans?

anyone else use a snuff can call? i have used them w/ good results for yrs. still have an old tin one my grandpa gave me, and hunt w/ it now and then. i picked up a southland tube call the other week and have been getting it tuned up...it sounds really good, and carries well. i tried it on the ''yard birds'' while ago, and had them gobbling their heads off...even got them to strut up under the carport!
Old 02-14-2008, 10:37 PM
Holy Wah is right!

I bought a tube call from David Mills at the turkeyrama. I'm still trying to figure it out.....
Old 02-14-2008, 10:42 PM
snuffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carp View Post
I bought a tube call from David Mills at the turkeyrama. I'm still trying to figure it out.....
it's different, but once you get it, it kind of happens all at once...keep at it. how's that vest wrking out for you? i think it's ok, except for some scrode wrote his name on the back of it.
Old 02-17-2008, 01:51 PM
Holy Wah is right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffer View Post
it's different, but once you get it, it kind of happens all at once...keep at it. how's that vest wrking out for you? i think it's ok, except for some scrode wrote his name on the back of it.
I like the vest. It is well organized. I use a vest sometimes and at other times I just carry a little bag with a couple of calls. As far as the scrode goes, a sharpie works wonders.
Old 02-17-2008, 02:36 PM
THE PLACE Member

I've wrestled with tube calls for years from Morgans to cornbreads and I just cant get the hang of 'em... Sure wish I could though
Old 02-17-2008, 08:31 PM
snuffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator View Post
ive got one i made out of a 35 mm film canister...it makes some turkey noises ok, and others not so much...it makes a great jake gobble, and i can cut with it pretty well, but can't yelp worth a crap. and i cant imagine purring with one either.
i have tried them built like that, but never got anything out of them i was pleased w/. a jake gobble is a good trick to have in the arsenal, though. cutting on a tube is a great locator, and gets through the wind good. keep at it, i think they are worth having, even if they are old-timey. i just wish i could use a peach leaf, like my granpa could....that would be wicked on these wma birds.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:09 PM
Everyday Hunter

I find that I can do more with a tube than I can with a mouth call; I've been using a tube for about a year and been using mouth calls for several years. There's nothing magic to it, but once you figure out how to get some kind of a sound that sounds remotely like a yelp, it's all down hill from there. I like em because I can control the volume and tone a lot better than I can with mouth calls and the sound is just something different than what the birds are used to hearing all the time.
Old 02-24-2008, 06:21 PM
" The Great One.."

Cornbread's Biscuit

Old 02-24-2008, 07:54 PM
Go dawgs!

I bought one today but can't do much with it yet....I can't remember the name....Derek Fowler maybe?

Last edited by Arra : 02-24-2008 at 08:50 PM.