The Outdoors Place  
THE PLACE Chat Room

Go Back   The Outdoors Place > Outdoors > Braggin Board
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2008, 09:09 PM
Chasin' A Swamp Chicken

Thumbs up swimming with dolphins

i posted this across the ditch and figured i would share it here too.
Very often while running the boat between dive/fishing spots dolphins will come up in front of the bow and ride push of the boat. We usually lay on the bow pulpit and touch their backs as they jump to breathe. Most of the time they will leave if you slow the boat down.
On this paticular day, I slowed the boat and the dolphins hung around. It only took me a minute to throw on my mask and fins then I jumped in with my camera. I got several pics of them. They were everywhere. We estimated that there were 20 to 30 in this particular pod.
Very often they kept a safe distance (no closer than 20 feet) but some of the teenagers would come up almost close enough to touch. They would only approach me in a group.
This pic was taken at about 15ft deep as they circled around to check me out. If I didn't put my hands out or act aggressive they would come real close. These were about ten feet away. Some were closer but the pics were kinda blurry.
It is an unreal feeling to freedive down to about 20 feet and be surrounded by dolphins and their sounds. I can't wait for the water to warm up so I can do it again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dolphins (Small).jpg (19.3 KB, 33 views)
Old 01-29-2008, 09:13 PM
Pronounced "tanner boyzz"

bro that is cool as chit i no it aint the same but i have swam with a bunch of manatees who by the way i hate ... but it was coll as chit they are so friendy if they dont sense danger they will swim into you and let u hold on for a ride also great pic
Old 01-29-2008, 09:15 PM
Pintail is my best good chum

Quote:
Originally Posted by larpyn View Post
i posted this across the ditch and figured i would share it here too.
Very often while running the boat between dive/fishing spots dolphins will come up in front of the bow and ride push of the boat. We usually lay on the bow pulpit and touch their backs as they jump to breathe. Most of the time they will leave if you slow the boat down.
On this paticular day, I slowed the boat and the dolphins hung around. It only took me a minute to throw on my mask and fins then I jumped in with my camera. I got several pics of them. They were everywhere. We estimated that there were 20 to 30 in this particular pod.
Very often they kept a safe distance (no closer than 20 feet) but some of the teenagers would come up almost close enough to touch. They would only approach me in a group.
This pic was taken at about 15ft deep as they circled around to check me out. If I didn't put my hands out or act aggressive they would come real close. These were about ten feet away. Some were closer but the pics were kinda blurry.
It is an unreal feeling to freedive down to about 20 feet and be surrounded by dolphins and their sounds. I can't wait for the water to warm up so I can do it again.
thats freakin awesome man! Im gonna try and swim with them when I go on a cruise this year.........I think thats one of the outings we can do at one of the ports of call.

no worry about sharks when they around either! thats always a good thing

I got pretty close to a group of them out on the sand bar at New Smyrna one time..........it was amazing.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:16 PM
Pronounced "tanner boyzz"

here in fl we have a place that u can swim with them in captivity not as cool but some people dont hve the money to go out
Old 01-29-2008, 10:05 PM
Dammit Bobby

That is something I would love to experince.....Way cool
Old 01-29-2008, 10:15 PM
Because i can. thats why.

thats incredible!! i wanna swim with dolphins so bad i cant stand it. I used to wanna swim with sharks but now that im a mom i've quelled some of my more ridiculous adrinalin rushes