The Outdoors Place  
THE PLACE Chat Room

Go Back   The Outdoors Place > Hunting > Everything Turkey
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2013, 08:36 AM
snuffer

Default monday morn sit-rep

had a frustrating but nevertheless fun hunt this past bama opener. met joe at the 'camp' thursday afternoon, and we jumped in the truck and proceeded to do a bit of recon. we checked some places i knew held birds, but didnt find what we were looking for. got up friday morn, to find the wind howling at gale force, so i decided to hunt down low to avoid the wind...i normally would want to hunt the highest ridge tops. anyhow, we listened at daylight from a good vantage point, and heard nothing. so, we started the hike...a good ways back we found what we were looking for, and split up to do some calling. after calling in the high wind a while, i started ninjering about, looking for what i might find. a while later, i found a flock down in a park-like bottom, scratching/strutting...four strutters. stayed with them, and notified joe where they were to his position.

wound up putting the sneak on, and got in the bottom with them. joe did the same from different direction. i called one to within range of my bps...and missed him...twice. i will not make excuses, as they are a sign of weakness. i also will not go into detail of my counterparts endeavors...he can do that

suffice it to say, we were on birds all weekend. however, i never heard a single gobble. once i got clara friday eve, i was pretty much hamstrung from being productive in the woods. but, a dads gotta do what a dads s'posed to do...i wont give up my brief time with my daughter, for killing turkey birds...
Old 03-18-2013, 08:38 AM
THE PLACE Member

I thought you guys went to Alabama.........not MISSISSISSISSISSPPI!

Lots birds carrying some copper I see.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:03 AM
The ****in Slipknot \m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by tboinky View Post
I thought you guys went to Alabama.........not MISSISSISSISSISSPPI!

Lots birds carrying some copper I see.
Dammit man
Old 03-18-2013, 09:27 AM
THE PLACE Member

All those birds and no gobbling. Guess there is no need when hens are everywhere and willing to put out. Missing isn't fun. Done it a few times the last few years myself. You made some memories for sure Jon
Old 03-18-2013, 10:05 AM
The dude abides

Wind made it real tough, but we were still on birds most of the time. Covered some beautiful ground, finally found a bird that gobbled 4 times, he came in on a string to 10 yards....and I flat missed. The sound threw me off and he popped somewhere other than I thought he was. Like Jon said, no excuses. Ain't the first time.

Wouldn't trade it for the world. I love it over there.

Found my lucky turkey hat at the office this morning. So between that and the old voodoo moonlight ritual I performed last night, I should get a little redemption soon.

Enjoyed it Jon, as always. Thanks for everything.

Last edited by tailfeather : 03-18-2013 at 10:16 AM.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator Supervisor

The wind must have pulled yalls shots off target. Lol!

Better luck next time fellas!
Old 03-18-2013, 11:22 AM
Go dawgs!

both of yall will rebound...I know it sucks to start the season off like that though!
Old 03-18-2013, 11:23 AM
snuffer

we walked far enough, its possible we were in MISS-issippi, i guess. just goes to show you, nothing is written in stone. i aint pulled the trigger on a bird that didnt flop, in a long time. anything can happen, to anyone. really bothers me, but nothing to do but get back on the horse and keep riding.

good to see you, joe. i hope you and levi have much luck down there. maybe he can break that gun in right. looks like it will be awhile before clara needs it, so just hang on to it a while. i aint taking her back turkey hunting for a good long spell, if at all. she will have to convince me she is ready, before i even consider it.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:30 AM
The dude abides

Thanks. He shouldered it yesterday, and seemed to do ok with it. Gonna let him shoot some low brass 8's this evening for a live fire exercise. If he does well, I'll replace em with 3" 6's before Sat. and not tell him.

If he's not quite ready to pull down on a gobbler with it, he'll tag along saturday morning either way. It's a sweet little gun. Might dust one with it, myself.

Let me know when you need it back, incredibly generous of you.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:31 AM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffer View Post
we walked far enough, its possible we were in MISS-issippi, i guess. just goes to show you, nothing is written in stone. i aint pulled the trigger on a bird that didnt flop, in a long time. anything can happen, to anyone. really bothers me, but nothing to do but get back on the horse and keep riding.

good to see you, joe. i hope you and levi have much luck down there. maybe he can break that gun in right. looks like it will be awhile before clara needs it, so just hang on to it a while. i aint taking her back turkey hunting for a good long spell, if at all. she will have to convince me she is ready, before i even consider it.
Rut roh. That don't sound good about your daughter...
Old 03-18-2013, 11:37 AM
Pintail is my best good chum

Poor Clara
"I've been working here for 44 years. Ain't nobody ever ordered nothing but a T-Bone steak and baked potato. Except one time, this @sshole from New York ordered a trout, back in 1987. We ain't got no g**d*mned trout".,
Old 03-18-2013, 11:44 AM
snuffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssramage View Post
Rut roh. That don't sound good about your daughter...
nah. it aint good. kind of a repeat of last spring, really. she does good dove, duck, quail, and deer hunting...but refuses to sit still or be quiet for turkey hunts. aint got a clue why, but that is the case. i offered to take her back to her moms, while i continued to hunt. she started bawling, and protested...said that when she is with me, it is the only break she gets from her mother screaming at her constantly. breaks my heart. so, we made the best of it.
i can see that her mothers influence is not doing positive things in her life. not much i can do about it, but pray. she is starting tee-ball this spring, and her mom is pushing me to be at the functions. however, living two hours away...that aint going to happen very often. this is being used against me, and the end result is that i just wont see her as much. sucks. i will not, however, stop hunting in the spring. i wont miss my weekends, it just means i wont get to hunt much. very frustrating for me.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:51 AM
Pintail is my best good chum

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffer View Post
but refuses to sit still or be quiet for turkey hunts.
I know its against your religion but have you considered tent blind hunting when you have her? I would think an Ameristep would work wonders for that
"I've been working here for 44 years. Ain't nobody ever ordered nothing but a T-Bone steak and baked potato. Except one time, this @sshole from New York ordered a trout, back in 1987. We ain't got no g**d*mned trout".,
Old 03-18-2013, 12:08 PM
snuffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryano View Post
I know its against your religion but have you considered tent blind hunting when you have her? I would think an Ameristep would work wonders for that
i've got one that we use sometimes. we had built a natural blind for this hunt, though. however, it made no difference...her heart was just not in it. she doesnt care for it, obviously, and i am not going to force it on her. doesnt make sense, as she enjoys messing with calls, and likes to be in the woods. i reckon it is just a case of females being fickle. i'm not good with trying to figure out women, as i dont have the patience for it. i dont imagine i will ever understand them, nor do i really care to. its a lot of needless bs, in my opinion.

being that i have invested a lot into taking her hunting, its a big letdown. she is only 7 yrs old, though, so it may change in time. my gut feeling, is that we will probably drift further apart as time passes. she will always be my little girl, and i will always love her with all my heart. but, that doesnt mean i will spend my springs playing with barbie dolls and listening to a bunch of whining. i can see her turning into a mini version of her mother, which isnt good, at all.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:22 PM
The ****in Slipknot \m/

Nope. Cant force it on her or she will never want to go. My lil girl was like that, she loved to go scout, but wasnt really into the hunt itself. but getting her out there has done something as she still at almost 17 and straight A student, likes to be outdoors catching critters. Saturday we were up at Tallulah gorge and she was catching lizards and turning over rocks in the creeks looking crawdads, salamanders, stone fly larvae or whatever. Her class was in a Envirothon a couple weeks ago and they took 1st in everything and now they're heading to state level.

Last edited by JamesG : 03-18-2013 at 12:24 PM.